- Peru pulls out of hosting Marius Vizer's World Combat Games Updated: May-24-15 12:32 pm
LONDON - The Olympic backlash against Marius Vizer widened, as Peruvian organizers pulled out of hosting one of his showcase multi-sports events and basketball became the latest federation to suspend ties with his umbrella body.
- Cormier submits Johnson in 3rd, wins vacant title at UFC 187 Updated: May-24-15 3:17 am
LAS VEGAS - Daniel Cormier wore the conflict on his beaming face when he got the UFC's light heavyweight title belt strapped around his waist in the same Vegas cage where he failed to win it a few months ago.
- Chris Weidman defends UFC title, stops Belfort in 1st round Updated: May-24-15 12:06 am
LAS VEGAS - Chris Weidman stopped Vitor Belfort in the first round with a relentless series of punches on the ground Saturday night, defending his middleweight title at UFC 187.
- Ex-top female boxer Holm schedules next UFC fight Updated: May-22-15 5:06 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The world's former No. 1-rated female boxer has scheduled her next Ultimate Fighting Championship bout.
- Taekwondo venue for Tokyo Games under review Updated: May-22-15 5:02 am
TOKYO - Taekwondo could become the latest sport to have its venue moved for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as part of a widening review into plans for the games.
- SportAccord's Vizer issues 20-point plan for talks with IOC Updated: May-21-15 2:07 pm
LONDON - As more sports cut ties with his umbrella association, SportAccord chief Marius Vizer issued a 20-point plan Thursday for discussions with the IOC - including prize money for Olympic athletes and a 50 percent stake for federations in the new Olympic television channel.
- Hou's 'The Assassin' offers martial arts with an arty twist Updated: May-21-15 12:10 pm
CANNES, France - "The Assassin" is a rare thing - a martial-arts movie in competition for prizes at Cannes.
- Thomas Bach to Marius Vizer: I'll get back to you later Updated: May-20-15 1:29 pm
LONDON - IOC President Thomas Bach is keeping Marius Vizer waiting on his invitation for a clear-the-air meeting.
- SportAccord chief Vizer seeks talks with IOC to repair ties Updated: May-19-15 12:51 pm
LONDON - A month after launching a scathing attack on the IOC, the head of SportAccord said Tuesday he wants to meet with Thomas Bach to repair the damage that has led multiple sports to cut ties with the umbrella body for international federations.
- Alexander Emelianenko gets 4 1/2 years for sexual assault Updated: May-19-15 9:30 am
MOSCOW - The brother of former mixed martial arts champion Fedor Emelianenko has been sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison after being convicted of aggravated sexual assault.
- Vizer defiant on World Combat Games despite withdrawals Updated: May-13-15 11:35 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The World Combat Games will go ahead next year despite the withdrawal of several sports in protest over the chief organizer's attack on the International Olympic Committee.
- Wrestling, taekwondo leave umbrella sports body in protest Updated: May-11-15 1:17 pm
Wrestling and taekwondo on Monday became the latest sports to cut ties with the umbrella body for international federations after its president launched a scathing attack on the IOC.
- UFC's Reebok deal will pay fighters based on cage experience Updated: May-06-15 5:14 pm
LOS ANGELES - UFC fighters will be paid between $2,500 and $40,000 per bout for wearing Reebok gear under the mixed martial arts promotion's new sponsorship deal.
- A year on, 'model' camp for Syrian refugees has mixed record Updated: May-01-15 3:47 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - A year after opening, a camp in Jordan billed as an improved model for sheltering Syrian refugees has a mixed record: Azraq offers safety and a sense of order, with its close to 10,000 prefab shelters arranged in tidy rows, but refugees say life is tough because of lack of electricity, jobs and freedom of movement.
- Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, suspended after arrest Updated: Apr-28-15 11:59 pm
Jon Jones has been stripped of his UFC light heavyweight title and suspended indefinitely following his arrest in New Mexico on a hit-and-run that police say left a pregnant woman with a broken arm.
- Mixed martial arts fighter dies after Aberdeen bout Updated: Apr-28-15 10:07 am
ABERDEEN, Washington - A mixed martial arts fighter who collapsed after an amateur bout in Aberdeen on Saturday has died at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
- UFC champ Jones booked in connection with hit-and-run crash Updated: Apr-28-15 2:58 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Champion UFC fighter Jon Jones turned himself into authorities Monday night in connection with a hit-and-run crash, officials said.
- Albuquerque police seek UFC fighter Jones in hit-and-run Updated: Apr-27-15 12:12 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Albuquerque police are searching for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Sunday night in connection with a hit-and-run accident.
- Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson retains title at UFC 186 Updated: Apr-26-15 1:20 am
MONTREAL - Demetrious Johnson retained his UFC flyweight champion title fashion Saturday night, controlling Kyoji Horiguchi for nearly the entire five-round bout before scoring the latest submission win in UFC history - tapping out his opponent with a second left.