- Yemen's pro-government fighters get arms shipments Updated: Aug-02-15 1:57 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Pro-government fighters in Yemen have received weapons shipments in the war-torn city of Aden, as Shiite rebels scramble to deploy reinforcements, military officials from both sides said Sunday.
- Iraqi Kurds ask Kurdistan Workers Party to 'withdraw' Updated: Aug-01-15 2:32 pm
BAGHDAD - Iraq's Kurdish regional government called on the Kurdistan Worker's Party to "withdraw" from Iraq's Kurdish territory Saturday to prevent civilian deaths amid a campaign of Turkish airstrikes targeting the group.
- Syrian rebel group leaves their HQ after clash with al-Qaida Updated: Aug-01-15 11:20 am
BEIRUT - Clashes between members of al-Qaida's branch in Syria and a rebel faction in the country's north believed to have been trained by the U.S. government have stopped after the rebels left their headquarters, activists said Saturday.
- No bail for man charged with trying to join Islamic State Updated: Jul-31-15 3:50 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Arafat Nagi had made an oath to the Islamic State group, outfitted himself to fight and had a one-way ticket to the Middle East at the time of his arrest, federal authorities said Friday.
- Despite bombing, Islamic State is no weaker than a year ago Updated: Jul-31-15 1:38 pm
WASHINGTON - After billions of dollars spent and more than 10,000 extremist fighters killed, the Islamic State group is fundamentally no weaker than it was when the U.S.-led bombing campaign began a year ago, American intelligence agencies have concluded.
- Afghan official: Drone strike kills 20 members of IS group Updated: Jul-30-15 6:16 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan official says two separate drone strikes in an eastern province bordering Pakistan have killed 20 militants affiliated with the Islamic State group.
- Somalia president: No elections in 2016 Updated: Jul-30-15 6:11 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somalia's president is ruling out the possibility of holding elections that are due next year, citing security challenges stemming from an Islamic insurgency. Opposition parties charge that that his government is taking advantage of poor security to extend its mandate through postponement of elections.
- Taliban leader Mullah Omar, reclusive in life and death Updated: Jul-29-15 6:19 pm
- Turkish attacks on Kurds muddle Obama's Islamic State fight Updated: Jul-29-15 4:31 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - President Barack Obama's stepped-up partnership with Turkey in fighting the Islamic State may come at the cost of alienating another key group he's counting on for help in the same conflict: the Kurds.
- Amnesty accuses Israel of possible war crimes Updated: Jul-29-15 10:31 am
JERUSALEM - A leading international watchdog said Wednesday that the Israeli military may have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity during last summer's Gaza war when it carried out four days of intense bombardment in retaliation for an attack by Hamas militants in which an Israeli soldier was captured.
- Pakistani militant leader killed in police convoy attack Updated: Jul-29-15 10:08 am
MUZAFFARGARH, Pakistan - One of Pakistan's most-feared Islamic militant leaders, believed to be behind the killing of scores of minority Shiites, was gunned down along with 13 other militants during an assault on a police convoy that was transporting him from prison on Wednesday.
- Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings Updated: Jul-28-15 3:35 pm
TRIPOLI, Libya - Moammar Gadhafi's son and onetime heir apparent was convicted and sentenced to death on Tuesday by a court in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, on charges of murder and inciting genocide during the country's 2011 uprising.
- Iraqi militias train young teens to face the threat of IS Updated: Jul-28-15 10:41 am
BAGHDAD - In the steamy Baghdad night, sweat poured down the faces of the Iraqi teens as they marched around a school courtyard, training for battle against the Islamic State group.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Somalia hotel truck bomb toll rises to 15 Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The massive truck bomb that killed 15 people, including a Kenyan diplomat, and wrecked Somalia's premier hotel has stunned the capital and raised fears Monday that the Islamic extremist al-Shabab rebels are escalating their violence.
- The Latest: Obama says South Sudan needs urgent attention Updated: Jul-27-15 7:43 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Ethiopia (all times local):
- Colombia suspends raids on FARC camps following rebel truce Updated: Jul-25-15 10:43 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government is suspending aerial bombings of guerrilla camps in a bid to de-escalate fighting and breathe new life into struggling peace talks.
- Q&A: Kurds fight Islamic State and endure attacks Updated: Jul-25-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - Turkish jets struck camps belonging to Kurdish militants in northern Iraq Friday and Saturday in what were the first strikes since a peace deal was announced in 2013.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Tunisian police kill 1 militant, arrest 16 others in north Updated: Jul-24-15 12:18 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - Tunisian authorities carried out a series of anti-militant raids in the northern province of Bizerte, killing one militant and arresting 16 people, authorities said Friday.
- Kenyan security on high alert ahead of Obama visit Updated: Jul-24-15 9:10 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A massive security operation is in place to protect President Barack Obama during his visit to Kenya, which has been frequently targeted by al-Shabab militants based in neighboring Somalia.
- Turkey allows US to use key air base to strike Islamic State Updated: Jul-24-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Turkey has agreed to let the U.S. military launch airstrikes against the Islamic State from a key air base near the Syrian border, senior U.S. officials said Thursday, giving a boost to the U.S.-led coalition while drawing Turkey deeper into the conflict.
- IS militants kill Turkish soldier near Syria border Updated: Jul-23-15 3:53 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Islamic State militants fired at a Turkish military outpost from Syrian territory on Thursday, killing one Turkish soldier and wounding two others, Turkish officials said. Turkish troops retaliated, killing at least one IS militant.
- AU, Somali troops drive al-Shabab out of major base Updated: Jul-22-15 1:50 pm
- US kills senior Khorasan Group leader Updated: Jul-21-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. airstrike in Syria has killed a key figure in a dangerous al-Qaida offshoot, the Pentagon said Tuesday.