- Drought across West could create perfect storm fire season Updated: May-04-15 9:38 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Drought and weather conditions across the West could create ideal conditions for simultaneous wildfires and make it tougher for Nevada to get out-of-state aid, fire officials said.
- Huge waves in California lure bodysurfers, crowds to beaches Updated: May-04-15 8:27 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Hundreds of spectators lined the beach and gasped, cheered and clapped on Monday as bodysurfers braved 15-foot waves at The Wedge, a Newport Beach break known for its powerful waves.
- Swiss rail route blocked by landslide after heavy rain Updated: May-03-15 10:28 am
BERLIN - A major railway route in Switzerland has been blocked by a landslide following persistent rain that has swollen rivers in much of the Alpine country.
- 20 million pounds of asparagus to be harvested in Michigan Updated: Apr-30-15 4:13 am
OCEANA COUNTY, Michigan - The good news for all of Michigan is that asparagus isn't going to be affected much by this unusually cool spring weather.
- Severe weather strands boaters, damages art festival Updated: Apr-26-15 4:07 pm
BILOXI, Mississippi - A waterspout stranded more than a dozen people on Petit Bois Island, and thunderstorms slammed down tents at an art festival and canceled the annual re-enactment of explorer Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville's landing in 1699 as thunderstorms swept along the Mississippi Coast.
- Oklahoma researchers developing seasonal tornado forecasts Updated: Apr-26-15 1:46 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Weather researchers in Oklahoma are working on a method to develop seasonal tornado forecasts that could predict the likelihood of the severe storms weeks in advance.
- Forecasters warn of tornadoes, hail as storms approach Updated: Apr-24-15 5:25 pm
ATLANTA - Forecasters say severe weather could bring damaging thunderstorms and tornadoes to parts of north Alabama and Georgia.
- Late winter storm bringing snow to Sierra, Lake Tahoe Updated: Apr-24-15 2:29 pm
RENO, Nevada - A late season storm blowing in from the north triggered a winter weather advisory beginning late Friday in the Sierra, where several inches of snow is expected at Lake Tahoe and up to a foot in upper elevations.
- Unseasonal rainstorm kills at least 42 in eastern India Updated: Apr-22-15 11:37 am
PATNA, India - An unseasonal storm with heavy rain and hail killed at least 42 people, injured more than a hundred and caused heavy damage to the winter wheat crop in eastern India, officials said Wednesday.
- Charge reduced against trucker in fatal pileup in Wyoming Updated: Apr-21-15 8:31 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Crews reopened Interstate 80 on Tuesday, about 32 hours after a fiery chain-reaction crash involving more than 60 vehicles killed two people and became the second weather-related pileup to shut down the major trucking corridor in less than a week.
- Tornado kills 2, leaves 1,000 homeless in southern Brazil Updated: Apr-21-15 12:34 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Authorities say two people have been killed and 1,000 have been left homeless by a tornado that struck a southern Brazilian city.
- Obama offers Ga. federal aid for winter storm cleanup Updated: Apr-21-15 4:05 am
ATLANTA - President Barack Obama is offering Georgia agencies federal assistance to help pay for cleanup costs associated with a winter storm in mid-February.
- Fierce storm lashes southeast Australia; 3 feared dead Updated: Apr-21-15 12:49 am
SYDNEY - A fierce storm lashing Australia's southeast destroyed homes, left dozens stranded in swirling floodwaters and may have led to the deaths of three people, officials said Tuesday.
- Severe weather moves through north Georgia Updated: Apr-20-15 4:41 pm
ATLANTA - A severe weather system has crossed north Georgia, hitting some areas with hail and high winds that toppled trees.
- San Francisco Bay Area researchers fear 'super storm' flood Updated: Apr-20-15 2:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Even as California struggles to cope with a long-running drought, scientists are worried that the San Francisco Bay Area is unprepared for an inevitable super storm that could drop 12 inches of rain in a week.
- Illinois tornado raises concerns on warnings in rural areas Updated: Apr-20-15 1:50 pm
CANTRALL, Illinois - A deadly tornado in the small northern Illinois community of Fairdale earlier this month is raising questions about how best to warn rural residents about storms.
- Flash flooding leads to road closures in southwest Virginia Updated: Apr-20-15 2:47 am
WYTHEVILLE, Virginia - Authorities say flash flooding has led to road closures in southwestern Virginia.
- Truckee River's level drops after flow from reservoir halted Updated: Apr-19-15 9:43 pm
RENO, Nevada - With the start of summer two months away, the Truckee River's level already is dropping around Reno after flows into it from a Sierra Nevada reservoir were halted last week.
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect in Oklahoma, Arkansas Updated: Apr-19-15 4:50 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas.
- Thunderstorms cause power outages, flight delays in Texas Updated: Apr-18-15 10:59 pm
HOUSTON - Storms packing winds approaching 90 mph are sweeping across parts of Texas and Oklahoma, causing widespread power outages in the Dallas area - including at a professional soccer game.
- Snow falls in parts of Rockies, causes pileups in Wyoming Updated: Apr-16-15 7:55 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wintry weather swept across parts of the Rockies on Thursday, leaving behind some wrecks and road closures.
- Rainstorm next week raises flood risk in Maine Updated: Apr-16-15 12:10 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Federal weather forecasters say Maine remains a higher-than-normal risk for flooding over the next two weeks.
- Utah storm leaves 1 dead, largest Salt Lake City snow fall Updated: Apr-15-15 3:52 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A vicious 24-hour spring storm in Utah is winding down after closing the interstate and leaving one dead, more than a dozen injured, a wildfire and the largest snow fall of the year for Salt Lake City.
- 2 in Jeep briefly lifted into air by small tornado in Eugene Updated: Apr-15-15 12:08 am
EUGENE, Oregon - A small tornado that touched down Tuesday afternoon in the parking lot of a community college campus briefly lifted two people in a Jeep Cherokee into the air, then slammed the vehicle back down on its tires, witnesses said.
- Drought disaster declaration for part of Nevada, Utah, Idaho Updated: Apr-14-15 8:31 pm
RENO, Nevada - The U.S. Agriculture Department has declared two northeast Nevada counties natural disaster areas due to the lingering drought with an emergency order that also makes emergency low-interest loans available to farmers, ranchers and businesses in parts of neighboring Idaho and Utah.