- Rauner signs law toughening penalties on drunk drivers Updated: Aug-31-15 1:54 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois will begin putting ignition locking devices on the vehicles of drivers with two or more drunken driving convictions.
- Department of Transportation to widen I-5 near JBLM Updated: Aug-31-15 1:08 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Washington Department of Transportation is planning to add lanes to Interstate 5 near Joint Base Lewis-McChord to battle long-term traffic problems, but the six-year project is expected to make traffic congestion worse between Olympia and Tacoma in the near future.
- Cabbage delays rush hour traffic after Rochester rollover Updated: Aug-31-15 8:56 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Morning commuters were greeted by a sea of green after a cabbage truck rolled over and spilled its load across a busy western New York highway.
- Wrong-way driver stopped on Interstate 78 Updated: Aug-31-15 6:22 am
UPPER MACUNGIE, Pennsylvania - Police are crediting a quick-thinking motorist with helping to stop a wrong-way driver on Interstate 78 in Upper Macungie.
- Greenwood aims for strict development at new interchange Updated: Aug-31-15 5:07 am
GREENWOOD, Indiana - When you get off Interstate 65 at a new Greenwood exit, don't expect to find truck stops, fast-food restaurants and multiple gas stations.
- I-70 mountain delays expected Monday Updated: Aug-30-15 1:29 pm
DENVER - Drivers heading through Interstate 70's mountain corridor into Idaho Springs on Monday night can expect delays as construction reduces the highway to one lane in each direction.
- Crews continue work on White River Junction slide-in bridge Updated: Aug-30-15 11:07 am
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, Vermont - Vermont transportation officials say drivers heading northbound on Interstate 91 in White River Junction should continue to find alternate routes while bridge replacement work continues.
- Several I-5 exits in Tacoma close for work over weekend Updated: Aug-29-15 10:17 am
TACOMA, Washington - Several northbound Interstate 5 exits in Tacoma are closed for construction this weekend.
- Several I-5 exits in Tacoma to close for construction Updated: Aug-28-15 5:16 am
TACOMA, Washington - Several northbound Interstate 5 exits in Tacoma will be closed this weekend for construction.
- State Police: Slow down on Vermont's highways Updated: Aug-28-15 4:08 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Vermont State Police say they have caught at least six drivers in three weeks for speeding in excess of 100 mph along the state's highways.
- Engineers working on plan for I-65 bridge near Lafayette Updated: Aug-27-15 2:25 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Engineers could soon have a repair plan for an Interstate 65 bridge over Wildcat Creek, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
- All US 52 lanes reopened after semitrailer overturns Updated: Aug-26-15 12:09 pm
COLFAX, Indiana - All lanes of a central Indiana highway being used as an Interstate 65 detour have reopened after a semitrailer overturned, causing traffic to back up for more than a mile.
- You can blame the beeping economy for worst US traffic ever Updated: Aug-26-15 1:07 am
WASHINGTON - More jobs and cheaper gasoline come with a big, honking downside: U.S. roads are more clogged than ever now that the recession is in the rearview mirror.
- Tech startups want to change the way you drive Updated: Aug-25-15 12:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A veteran computer scientist hates sitting in his car at stop lights, so he creates software that makes the experience less annoying. A former engineering professor wants to double the range of today's electric vehicles. And an aeronautics expert believes flying cars shouldn't be science fiction.
- San Diego proposing $163M stoplight system plan Updated: Aug-25-15 9:23 am
SAN DIEGO - San Diego officials are hoping a $163 million plan to install modern stoplight timing systems and other advanced technologies will address worsening traffic congestion on city roads.
- Interstate 5 closures in Portland all this week Updated: Aug-24-15 9:40 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Oregon Department of Transportation will be closing Interstate 5 through Portland for several nights and mornings this week for road paving.
- Nevada, California talk Tahoe traffic fixes at 19th summit Updated: Aug-24-15 6:59 pm
ZEPHYR COVE, Nevada - Officials from both Nevada and California gathered on the shores of Lake Tahoe on Monday to discuss how to deal with the heavy visitor traffic that takes a toll on the lake environment.
- Michigan highway officials launch 'smart' roads initiative Updated: Aug-24-15 1:59 pm
DETROIT - Highway officials are beginning to install sensors and cameras that will be able to provide construction, traffic and weather updates to motorists on roads near Detroit.
- Hundreds close roads in Greece to protest gold mine closure Updated: Aug-24-15 10:50 am
THESSALONIKI, Greece - Greek police have arrested two union leaders after hundreds of miners blocked roads to protest the temporary closure of a controversial gold mine in northern Greece.
- Wildfire west of Portland closes portion of Highway 26 Updated: Aug-24-15 10:43 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - The state Department of Transportation says a portion of Highway 26 will remain closed until at least noon Monday because of a wildfire near Manning, Oregon.
- US 77 bypass around Wahoo scheduled to open Tuesday Updated: Aug-24-15 9:52 am
WAHOO, Nebraska - The U.S. Highway 77 bypass around Wahoo is scheduled to open Tuesday, after years of planning and then construction.
- Vermont high court rejects challenge to Burlington highway Updated: Aug-22-15 8:43 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Vermont Supreme Court has rejected the final legal challenge for a long-delayed roadway from Interstate 189 into downtown Burlington.
- Omaha pastor and wife among 4 killed in fiery head-on crash Updated: Aug-21-15 7:19 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A popular Omaha minister who founded a nonprofit organization devoted to giving hope to inner city teens was among four people killed in a fiery head-on crash on Interstate 90 near Alexandria, authorities said Friday.
- Authorities investigating fiery Interstate 90 crash Updated: Aug-20-15 6:40 pm
ALEXANDRIA, South Dakota - Authorities are diverting traffic off Interstate 90 east of Mitchell as they investigate a fiery two-car crash.
- 1 in 5 Interstate 15 carpool lane drivers violate law Updated: Aug-20-15 1:17 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Transportation officials say 1 in every 5 drivers shouldn't be in the carpool lane on Interstate 15.