- Wildlife biologists hopeful for whooping cranes in Wisconsin Updated: Jul-27-15 11:25 am
NECEDAH, Wisconsin - Despite a high mortality rate for whooping crane chicks, wildlife specialists have hope for the endangered bird's population in Wisconsin after a nearly 15-year effort to reintroduce the species.
- Seney National Wildlife Refuge conducting prescribed burn Updated: Jul-22-15 8:53 am
SENEY, Michigan - The Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Michigan's Upper Peninsula is holding its first prescribed burn of the year.
- Judge signs with Jewell in dispute over exploration plan Updated: Jul-21-15 8:26 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A federal judge has sided with Interior Secretary Sally Jewell over whether Jewell must approval exploration plans meeting certain requirements for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- Scientists, DWP debate future of Los Angeles pond Updated: Jul-21-15 6:20 am
LOS ANGELES - As the drought ravages California, scientists are debating whether to keep Los Angeles' only nature preserve full of water.
- Detroit River refuge hosts open house at Brancheau Unit Updated: Jul-19-15 4:05 am
NEWPORT, Michigan - The Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge is hosting an open house at its Brancheau Unit featuring cool treats for visitors.
- Nature preserve planned at site where glaciers stopped Updated: Jul-16-15 4:05 am
NINEVEH, Indiana - A land preservation group plans to open a nature preserve at a central Indiana site where glaciers stopped some 12,000 years ago.
- Teen hospitalized after being bitten by snake on field trip Updated: Jul-09-15 11:29 am
WESTON, Connecticut - A bite from what was believed to be a copperhead snake sent a teenager to the hospital in Connecticut.
- US secretary announces Shenandoah National Park 'sister' Updated: Jul-07-15 9:38 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell has established a sister park relationship between Shenandoah National Park and a nature reserve in China.
- Instantly beautiful: Sicily's wild Zingaro Nature Reserve Updated: Jul-07-15 9:14 am
SCOPELLO, Italy - The Zingaro Nature Reserve is a wild and rugged stretch of land that runs along the coast of northwest Sicily. Mountains rise above sandy beaches with views of the sea in two distinct bands of color: translucent aqua in the shallow waters near the shore, and a deep, dark blue beyond.
- As portions of Benton Lake dry out, habitat improves Updated: Jul-02-15 5:08 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Anyone who is used to going to Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge to look at birds will notice a marked difference this year.
- Roswell man volunteers over 15,000 hours for wildlife refuge Updated: Jul-02-15 2:09 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - Jim Montgomery has volunteered over 15,000 hours over the past 30 years for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge. In 1985, he began to do some volunteer work at the wildlife refuge but it wasn't until 1989 that he really became involved.
- Order of Catholic sisters sells Wisconsin preserve for $1M Updated: Jun-29-15 4:19 am
MEQUON, Wisconsin - An order of Catholic sisters has sold a 155-acre preserve used as a quiet retreat outside Milwaukee to a regional land trust for a little more than $1 million.