- Study: Mammals thrive in Chernobyl exclusion zone Updated: Oct-07-15 11:54 am
MOSCOW - Nearly 30 years after a nuclear reactor caught fire and spewed a lethal cloud of radiation, some species of mammals are thriving in the zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, a new study says.
- Group buys 339 acres near Bloomington for nature preserve Updated: Oct-07-15 3:50 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - A land preservation group has bought 339 acres of wooded wetlands near Bloomington and plans to convert it into a nature preserve.
- Rare ferrets find new home on former toxic site in Denver Updated: Oct-05-15 8:55 pm
DENVER - Rare black-footed ferrets chattered angrily before dashing out of pet carriers and ducking into burrows Monday at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge - a milestone for the highly endangered animals and for the former toxic waste site on the industrial edge of Denver.
- DeSoto Wildlife Refuge offers free admission Saturday Updated: Sep-26-15 5:01 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - The DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge is offering free admission Saturday to celebrate National Public Lands Day.
- 2 islands added to Lake Michigan's Green Bay wildlife refuge Updated: Sep-25-15 4:02 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge is growing significantly with the addition of acreage on two islands in northwestern Lake Michigan.
- Delaware wildlife refuge honored on new 25-cent piece Updated: Sep-18-15 2:15 am
SMYRNA, Delaware - The U.S. Mint is honoring a national wildlife refuge in Delaware with a new coin.