- As portions of Benton Lake dry out, habitat improves Updated: Jul-02-15 5:08 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Anyone who is used to going to Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge to look at birds will notice a marked difference this year.
- Roswell man volunteers over 15,000 hours for wildlife refuge Updated: Jul-02-15 2:09 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - Jim Montgomery has volunteered over 15,000 hours over the past 30 years for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge. In 1985, he began to do some volunteer work at the wildlife refuge but it wasn't until 1989 that he really became involved.
- Order of Catholic sisters sells Wisconsin preserve for $1M Updated: Jun-29-15 4:19 am
MEQUON, Wisconsin - An order of Catholic sisters has sold a 155-acre preserve used as a quiet retreat outside Milwaukee to a regional land trust for a little more than $1 million.
- Germany turning 62 military bases into nature reserves Updated: Jun-19-15 8:41 am
BERLIN - Germany's Environment Ministry says 62 former military bases and training areas are being turned into nature reserves, providing some 77,000 new acres of protected land for wildlife.
- Wildlife agency seeks 'citizen scientists' to watch mayflies Updated: Jun-18-15 12:15 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials are recruiting "citizen scientists" to gather field data to help better predict when millions of the mayflies will swarm the banks of the Mississippi River.
- Gillnets banned below Tuluksak to protect king salmon run Updated: Jun-18-15 8:38 am
BETHEL, Alaska - Qualified subsistence fishermen can't use gillnets in the Kuskokwim River below Tuluksak under a restriction intended to help protect this season's king salmon run.
- Problematic low level of Ohio lake could benefit unusual bog Updated: Jun-14-15 2:33 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The lowering of central Ohio's Buckeye Lake while the state makes plans to replace the deteriorated dam might end up benefiting an unusual nature preserve in the water.
- Endangered frog finds new home in Jackson County Updated: Jun-13-15 3:23 pm
GAUTIER, Mississippi - A south Mississippi wildlife refuge has been releasing hundreds of critically endangered frogs into the wild, hoping they will repopulate inside the refuge.
- Sport fishing might be allowed at Devils Lake-area refuges Updated: Jun-13-15 2:28 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to expand fishing opportunities in the Devils Lake Wetland Management District in North Dakota.