- 12 schemes outlined by prosecutors in soccer indictment Updated: May-27-15 10:42 pm
The indictment of soccer officials and marketing and TV executives Wednesday alleges 12 schemes:
- US, Swiss target top soccer officials in corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 7:38 pm
ZURICH - The U.S. government launched an attack on what it called deep-seated and brazen corruption in soccer's global governing body Wednesday, pulling FIFA executives out of a luxury Swiss hotel to face racketeering charges and raiding regional offices in Miami.
- THE LATEST: Russia: 'Nothing to hide' in 2018 World Cup bid Updated: May-27-15 8:46 am
ZURICH - 2:40 p.m. (1240 GMT, 8:40 a.m. EDT)
- FIFA VP Webb says don't risk World Cup for political reasons Updated: May-26-15 2:12 pm
ZURICH - The future of the $5 billion World Cup has become a key battleground in the pursuit of votes in Friday's FIFA presidential election.
- Russia cuts 2018 World Cup budget by more than $70 million Updated: May-26-15 11:00 am
MOSCOW - The Russian government has cut its budget for the 2018 World Cup by more than $70 million.
- Russia plans to use prison labor for 2018 World Cup Updated: May-25-15 4:54 pm
MOSCOW - Russian authorities want to use prison labor to drive down the costs of holding the 2018 World Cup.
- Capello set target of World Cup semifinal with Russia Updated: May-25-15 11:18 am
MOSCOW - Russia coach Fabio Capello has been told that his team's target should be a World Cup semifinal at home in 2018.
- Aussies select full-strength squad for Cup qualifying opener Updated: May-24-15 9:44 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Asian Cup champion Australia has selected a full-strength squad including Tim Cahill and Mile Jedinak for its opening World Cup qualifier in Kyrgyzstan.
- Thailand beats Vietnam 1-0 in WCup qualifier Updated: May-24-15 10:39 am
BANGKOK - Thailand finally broke through 10-man Vietnam to win 1-0 in their Group F opener for 2018 World Cup Asian Qualifiers on Sunday.
- Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince Updated: May-22-15 9:02 am
LONDON - In soccer, the only certain winner seems to be Sepp Blatter.
- Figo tells AP he is quitting FIFA presidential race Updated: May-21-15 5:43 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Calling FIFA a dictatorship under Sepp Blatter, presidential candidate Luis Figo dropped out of the election race on Thursday.
- Poland soccer chief Boniek wants World Cup taken from Russia Updated: May-21-15 1:02 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland football federation president Zbigniew Boniek says FIFA should be able to take the 2018 World Cup away from Russia because of conflict in Ukraine.
- Blatter to visit US in 2016, rejects talk of avoiding FBI Updated: May-15-15 2:32 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter says he has no fear of setting foot in the United States - no matter what the FBI might be doing.
- Blatter wants new rule helping US bid for 2026 World Cup Updated: May-15-15 10:30 am
ZURICH - FIFA President Sepp Blatter wants to implement a rule that would prevent Europe from bidding for the 2026 World Cup, improving the chances of the United States to host the tournament.
- FIFA observers to monitor racism at World Cup qualifiers Updated: May-12-15 11:20 am
LONDON - Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure spoke of the anguish felt by footballers subjected to racism on Tuesday as FIFA committed to deploying observers at qualifying matches for the 2018 World Cup to uncover abuse.
- Afghanistan, Myanmar pick neutral venues for World Cup games Updated: May-11-15 11:53 am
ZURICH - FIFA says Afghanistan will host its first 2018 World Cup qualifying match in Iran, and Myanmar chose Thailand as its home venue.
- FIFA imposes new passport rule for World Cup qualifiers Updated: May-07-15 11:54 am
GENEVA - FIFA has tightened player eligibility rules for the World Cup after eight African qualifying matches were defaulted for the 2014 tournament.
- FIFA hits back at German TV after arrests in Qatar Updated: May-06-15 2:38 pm
GENEVA - FIFA has heavily criticized its broadcasting partner in Germany for a documentary about World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar that was aired after a reporter revealed his filming crew had been arrested in Doha and had footage and personal data deleted.
- Russia launches search for 2018 World Cup mascot Updated: Apr-29-15 6:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia has launched a competition to design the mascot for its 2018 World Cup.
- Russia defends plan to house World Cup teams in Chechnya Updated: Apr-29-15 6:26 am
MOSCOW - World Cup organizers in Russia have defended the possibility of housing teams for the 2018 World Cup in the country's volatile North Caucasus regions, including Chechnya.