- Brazil to ask former coaches to help improve local football Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation will summon former national team coaches to help find ways of improving football in the country after a series of disappointing results.
- FIFA ousts Barbados from World Cup for ineligible player Updated: Jun-29-15 12:03 pm
ZURICH - Barbados has been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup qualifying tournament for fielding an ineligible player, giving beaten opponent Aruba a reprieve to advance instead.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- India loses out as Asia teams turn to overseas soccer talent Updated: Jun-24-15 9:51 pm
When a country with a population of 180,000 is victorious over a nation of more than a billion in the football arena, it would normally be classed as a shock.
- Nigeria federation: Keshi will honor 2-year contract Updated: Jun-22-15 11:09 am
ABUJA, Nigeria - The Nigeria Football Federation said it has been assured that coach Stephen Keshi will honor his two-year contract despite being named as a candidate to take charge of African champion Ivory Coast.
- Russia cuts budget for 2018 World Cup by over $500m Updated: Jun-22-15 5:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia has slashed over $500 million from its official budget for the 2018 World Cup after cutting spending on hotels and infrastructure.
- Belgium weighs compensation claim for losing World Cup bid Updated: Jun-18-15 9:08 am
BRUSSELS - Belgium's football federation could seek compensation for the money spent on its unsuccessful bid for the 2018 World Cup if there evidence of criminal wrongdoing in FIFA's choice of Russia as host.
- Portugal beats Italy 1-0 in friendly for Conte's 1st loss Updated: Jun-16-15 5:38 pm
GENEVA - Portugal beat Italy 1-0 in an international friendly in Geneva on Tuesday to inflict Antonio Conte's first defeat as national team coach.
- Asian champ Australia wins opening World Cup qualifier Updated: Jun-16-15 3:28 pm
BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan - Skipper Mile Jedinak scored in the second minute to set Asian champion Australia on its way to a 2-1 win over Kyrgyzstan in its opening qualifier for the 2018 World Cup on Tuesday.
- Depardieu intervened for widely panned FIFA movie Updated: Jun-15-15 10:19 am
PARIS - Actor Gerard Depardieu personally intervened to persuade the Cannes Film Festival to show the FIFA-funded movie "United Passions" that sank almost without trace at the box office after being panned by critics.
- Bale grabs winner, Wales beat Belgium 1-0 in Euro qualifying Updated: Jun-12-15 5:27 pm
CARDIFF, Wales - Gareth Bale moved Wales closer to a first major tournament since 1958 on Friday, scoring to secure a 1-0 victory over Belgium that lifted the country top of Group B in European Championship qualifying.
- Japan eases to 4-0 win over Iraq in friendly Updated: Jun-11-15 9:15 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Japan beat Iraq 4-0 on Thursday in a friendly ahead of its qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Europe's leading powers look to restore order in qualifying Updated: Jun-11-15 4:54 am
LONDON - Some of Europe's less-heralded football nations are on a roll in qualifying for the 2016 European Championship - and leaving many of the continent's traditional powers struggling to keep up.
- Messi, Neymar try not to be upstaged at Copa America Updated: Jun-10-15 9:53 am
- FIFA postpones start of 2026 World Cup bidding amid turmoil Updated: Jun-10-15 5:51 am
SAMARA, Russia - FIFA has suspended the 2026 World Cup bidding process amid a widening corruption scandal implicating previous bid contests.
- Palestinians to play 2018 qualifier in Saudi Arabia Updated: Jun-07-15 2:43 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The Palestinian Football Federation says its 2018 World Cup qualifier with Saudi Arabia will be played away from home due to "exceptional circumstances."