- Fierce gunbattle kills 43 in west Mexico cartel territory Updated: May-23-15 12:07 am
ECUANDUREO, Mexico - The latest in a series of clashes between Mexican authorities and a powerful, fast-growing drug cartel turned into the deadliest confrontation in recent memory, with 42 suspected gang gunmen and one Federal Police officer killed during a three-hour firefight at a remote western ranch.
- Missouri governor commute's man's sentence for pot offenses Updated: May-22-15 11:31 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri man sentenced to life without parole for marijuana-related offenses is eligible for parole Friday after Gov. Jay Nixon commuted his sentence.
- Cartel surveillance cameras found in Mexican border city Updated: May-22-15 8:14 pm
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico - A drug cartel in the northern state of Tamaulipas used at least 39 surveillance cameras to monitor the comings and goings of authorities in the city of Reynosa across the border from Texas, Mexican officials said Friday.
- 10 get federal prison over El Paso methamphetamine ring Updated: May-22-15 9:12 am
EL PASO, Texas - Ten people have been sentenced to prison for their roles in a West Texas-based methamphetamine ring that sent drugs to California, Illinois and Georgia.
- Sinaloa cartel enforcer 'Chino Antrax' pleads guilty in US Updated: May-20-15 6:27 pm
SAN DIEGO - A top enforcer for Mexico's Sinaloa cartel pleaded guilty Wednesday to drug charges in a wide investigation of the group in the United States.
- Sentence rescheduled to June 5 for drug lord's cousin Updated: May-20-15 7:16 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Sentencing has been rescheduled for a cousin of one of the world's most notorious drug lords for his role in trying to expand the violent cartel's reach into Europe and the United States.
- Venezuela's No. 2 denies any involvement in drug trafficking Updated: May-19-15 9:49 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The powerful leader of Venezuela's congress on Tuesday fiercely denied allegations he might be involved in the drug trade.
- Oakland airport baggage handlers charged with pot smuggling Updated: May-19-15 4:20 pm
OAKLAND, California - Three baggage handlers at Oakland International Airport are accused of using their security clearance to get marijuana-packed suitcases past checkpoints and onto planes as part of a drug smuggling ring involving 11 other people, federal prosecutors said.
- Drug ring member sentenced for conspiring to sell heroin Updated: May-19-15 1:54 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Another member of a large-scale drug trafficking ring that sold heroin at the Jersey Shore is headed to prison.
- Man in Anchorage drug ring gets 3 life sentences Updated: May-19-15 7:59 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A man involved in a violent drug ring that operated in Anchorage has received three life sentences for his crimes.
- Oakland airport baggage handlers charged with drug smuggling Updated: May-19-15 12:23 am
OAKLAND, California - Federal authorities say three baggage handlers at Oakland International Airport are among 14 people charged as part of an alleged marijuana smuggling ring.
- Police bust drugs ring in northern Spain, arrest 11 Updated: May-16-15 9:19 am
MADRID - Spanish officials say police have busted a drug-dealing gang and arrested 11 people on suspicion of trafficking in narcotics in northern region of Rioja.
- 2 political candidates fatally shot in restive Mexico states Updated: May-15-15 4:59 pm
MEXICO CITY - A candidate for mayor was shot to death in western Mexico and a man running for city council was gunned downed in southern Mexico, bringing to at least three the number of candidates killed in the run-up to the June 7 midterm elections.
- New cartel arises from Mexico's assault on big drug lords Updated: May-09-15 12:12 am
MEXICO CITY - It has the drugs and distribution system of a traditional cartel - and it has the modern weapons and audacity of an army. After attacking federal forces, downing a military helicopter and shutting down streets in Mexico's second-largest city last week, the New Generation Jalisco cartel is now the main enemy in the country's fight with drug cartels.
- Suspended priest dubbed Monsignor Meth gets over 5-year term Updated: May-07-15 8:37 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A suspended Roman Catholic priest dubbed Monsignor Meth apologized Thursday for running a methamphetamine distribution ring and letting down scores of friends and parishioners.
- Man sentenced in case involving meth tossed from high-rise Updated: May-07-15 8:20 pm
HONOLULU - While federal agents with a warrant were knocking on a door to a luxury Honolulu apartment on a December morning in 2012, agents watching from the ground saw men tossing bags of crystal meth over the 15th floor balcony.
- Police break up US-Italy drug ring run out of NYC pizzeria Updated: May-07-15 1:35 pm
ROME - By night, the Calabrian immigrant family served up piping-hot pizza. After hours, Italian and U.S. authorities say, the restaurant in the New York borough of Queens was busy filling other orders - allegedly running a cocaine trafficking ring that spanned three continents.
- Judge allows Georgia doctor to subpoena records in drug case Updated: May-06-15 10:02 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A federal judge will allow a Georgia doctor accused of running a prescription pill ring in Harrison County, Mississippi, to subpoena the prescription records of potential witnesses in his upcoming trial.
- NYPD: Man arrested in 2013 slaying of reputed mobster Updated: May-06-15 6:01 am
NEW YORK - A man has been arrested in connection with the 2013 slaying of a reputed mobster in the Bronx.
- Man sentenced for role in violent Atlantic City drug ring Updated: May-03-15 10:49 am
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A man has received a lengthy prison term for his role in a heroin ring run by a street gang that used threats, intimidation and violence to maintain control of Atlantic City's illegal drug trade.
- 2 draw life sentences in Texas-Mexico drug case Updated: Apr-30-15 6:50 pm
DEL RIO, Texas - Two men have been sentenced to life in U.S. federal prisons for helping smuggle drugs into Texas and weapons to Mexico.
- 12 arrested in New Mexico methamphetamine trafficking ring Updated: Apr-30-15 6:34 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Authorities say 12 people have been arrested in an investigation targeting a methamphetamine trafficking ring operating in New Mexico's Grant County.
- Judge blocks release of couple in drug money laundering case Updated: Apr-30-15 6:32 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A federal judge on Thursday blocked a Texas magistrate judge's order that allowed the release of a couple accused of laundering cartel drug money at a small southwest Kansas bank.
- Ex-FBI agent pleads not guilty to lying during Bulger trial Updated: Apr-30-15 5:19 pm
BOSTON - A former FBI agent lied to jurors during mobster James "Whitey" Bulger's trial and overstated his professional accomplishments, including falsely claiming to be the first officer who recovered the rifle used to assassinate Martin Luther King Jr., federal officials said Thursday in announcing a perjury case against him.
- 4th relative gets prison over Texas, California drug ring Updated: Apr-30-15 8:29 am
WACO, Texas - A Central Texas man has been sentenced to seven years in prison over a marijuana ring that led to drug-related convictions for his wife and two sons.