- Pope's visit to violent Mexican city highlights broader ills Updated: Feb-08-16 12:19 pm
ECATEPEC, Mexico - One evening in September 2014, Mariana Yanez left her home in this crime-plagued Mexico City suburb saying she was going to make some photocopies. Then she vanished.
- Former Seattle IRS agent to face trial on bribery charge Updated: Feb-07-16 2:38 pm
SEATTLE - A former IRS agent in Seattle is set to face trial this week on accusations that he solicited and received a $20,000 bribe from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- Turkmen president fires key aide amid corruption allegations Updated: Feb-06-16 7:52 am
ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan - The president of Turkmenistan has fired a deputy prime minister amid corruption allegations.
- Daugaard proposes oversight overhaul after GEAR UP scandal Updated: Feb-05-16 5:07 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is proposing an overhaul of oversight for state government entities and outside organizations that receive grants through the state after a murder-suicide last year involving two employees of a Platte-based educational cooperative.
- Review IDs safeguards against future fraud at Ohio treasury Updated: Feb-05-16 3:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Other individuals inside Ohio's treasury knew or should have known that a former deputy treasurer was committing fraud, according to the findings of an independent review that suggested a host of safeguards against future wrongdoing.
- Kenya: Supreme court judge to be investigated over bribery Updated: Feb-05-16 1:38 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The head of Kenya's Judiciary Friday said that an internal probe has found that a Supreme Court judge should be investigated further over allegations that he received a $2 million bribe to influence an election petition.
- China probe says stored chemical caused Tianjin blasts Updated: Feb-05-16 11:27 am
BEIJING - Deadly warehouse blasts that killed 165 people in a Chinese port city in August were triggered when a chemical stored in an unlicensed facility became too dry and caught fire, investigators announced Friday.
- Judge: US citizen serving as foreign diplomat can face trial Updated: Feb-04-16 9:40 pm
NEW YORK - A U.S. citizen serving as a foreign diplomat from the Dominican Republic is not immune from criminal prosecution in a United Nations bribery scandal, a judge ruled Thursday.
- New York guard accused of smuggling drugs in sock into jail Updated: Feb-04-16 8:47 pm
NEW YORK - A sprawling investigation into contraband smuggling at the city's largest jail complex that has resulted in more than two dozen arrests has landed a jail guard in handcuffs after he was caught trying to smuggle in synthetic marijuana hidden in his socks, officials said Thursday.
- Former RTD manager convicted of taking bribes Updated: Feb-04-16 5:19 pm
DENVER - A former manager for the Denver-area Regional Transportation District has been convicted of taking bribes from a contractor.
- Federal corruption case snares leaders of South Texas city Updated: Feb-04-16 4:36 pm
DALLAS - Almost every top official in a remote South Texas city was arrested Thursday under a detailed federal indictment that accuses them of taking bribes from contractors and sending city workers to help an illegal gambling operator nicknamed "Mr. T."
- Principal who drove Maserati pleads guilty to taking bribes Updated: Feb-04-16 4:30 pm
DETROIT - A former Detroit high school principal who drove a Maserati has pleaded guilty to accepting nearly $60,000 from a company hired to perform tutoring services.
- NY man who killed wife sentenced for jail bribery attempt Updated: Feb-04-16 11:44 am
NORWICH, New York - A New York man serving a 25-year-to-life sentence in a state prison for killing his wife has been given additional time behind bars for trying to bribe his way out of an upstate jail.
- Ex-mayor convicted of taking bribes ordered to go to prison Updated: Feb-04-16 5:44 am
WHITE PLAINS, New York - A former New York mayor convicted of taking bribes has been ordered to report to prison by Feb. 29 after undergoing surgery.
- Former LA Port police chief pleads guilty to tax evasion Updated: Feb-03-16 10:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - The former Port of Los Angeles police chief has pleaded guilty to tax evasion and making false statements to FBI agents probing an alleged bribery scheme.
- Florida man admits to bribery at Georgia military base Updated: Feb-03-16 6:41 pm
ATLANTA - A Florida man has pleaded guilty to bribing a public official at a Georgia military base.
- Ex-FIFA vice president released on bond in corruption case Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - A former vice president for world soccer's governing body has been released from U.S. custody in New York and will be subject to house arrest as he awaits trial on bribery and other charges related to a sprawling corruption case.
- Federal judge sets trial date for PA Cyber school founder Updated: Feb-02-16 12:23 pm
PITTSBURGH - A federal judge has set a June 6 trial date for Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School Founder Nicholas Trombetta.
- Close ally of former Czech PM convicted in bribery case Updated: Feb-02-16 7:26 am
PRAGUE - A close friend and key adviser of former Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek has been convicted of bribery and sentenced to five years in prison.
- Bill would restrict attorney general appointments to boards Updated: Feb-01-16 10:24 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A bill introduced in the Alaska House on Monday seeks to restrict the attorney general from serving on the governing body of a state public corporation or on state boards or commissions.
- Venezuela's UN envoy: Not concerned about US investigations Updated: Feb-01-16 7:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Venezuela's ambassador to the United Nations dismissed the possibility of cooperating with U.S. investigations into billion-dollar bribery schemes that allegedly occurred at the country's state-run oil company while he was in charge.
- 6 arrested in 'pay-for-plea' corruption case in Lafayette Updated: Feb-01-16 7:09 pm
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Vowing to crack down on public corruption in Louisiana, the state's new attorney general announced the arrests on Monday of six people on charges related to a bribery investigation of a south Louisiana district attorney's office.
- Former Reading council president sentenced to 2 years Updated: Feb-01-16 6:54 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A former Reading city council president has been sentenced to two years in federal prison for taking a bribe in exchange for efforts to repeal the city's campaign finance law.
- 3 officials file appeals against life bans in IAAF case Updated: Feb-01-16 9:17 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Three athletics officials banned for life by the IAAF for bribery and extortion to cover up a Russian doping case have appealed to sport's highest court.
- Postal carrier admits handling drug deliveries for bribes Updated: Jan-29-16 3:10 am
BUFFALO, New York - Federal prosecutors say a 56-year-old postal carrier has pleaded guilty to bribery for taking money from Buffalo drug dealers in exchange for handling drug deliveries.