- Survey finds bribery runs highest among courts in Mideast Updated: May-03-16 1:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A new report released on Tuesday by an anti-corruption watchdog shows that on average, almost a third of the people in nine countries surveyed in the Middle East have had to pay a bribe to access some kind of public service.
- Lawmaker evaluating prison move built homes near Draper site Updated: May-02-16 4:25 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker deeply involved in the state prison-relocation process was simultaneously building townhouses near the current prison site.
- Jury selection begins in Rep. Chaka Fattah's corruption case Updated: May-02-16 3:46 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Jury selection has begun in the federal corruption trial of Democratic U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah.
- Scalia's loss raises questions for Supreme Court Updated: May-02-16 3:48 am
WASHINGTON - Two months, 31 arguments and 18 decisions since the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, is the Supreme Court hopelessly deadlocked or coping as a party of eight?
- Prosecutors eye Cuomo's upstate economic development program Updated: Apr-29-16 7:00 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that his administration retained a former criminal prosecutor to review his upstate economic development initiatives after learning federal investigators are examining potential conflicts of interest and improper bidding related to the programs.
- Navy commander sentenced to 78 months in bribery scandal Updated: Apr-29-16 5:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Navy commander who fled Cambodia's killing fields as a boy to grow up to become a decorated U.S. military officer was sentenced Friday to 78 months in prison for providing classified ship schedules in exchange for the services of prostitutes, theater tickets and other gifts from a Malaysian defense contractor.
- Elected CU student leaders accused of making pizza bribes Updated: Apr-29-16 8:46 am
BOULDER, Colorado - Two of the winning presidential candidates in the University of Colorado's student government elections will not be allowed to take office after allegations that they used bribes of cookies and pizzas to gain votes.
- Detroit schools again get inspector general to combat fraud Updated: Apr-29-16 6:51 am
DETROIT - Detroit's financially troubled school district has brought back an inspector general to combat fraud and misconduct after a federal investigation into bribery and kickbacks ensnared a dozen principals and an administrator.
- Mexico charges 4 detectives with holding foreigners Updated: Apr-28-16 5:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge in Mexico has ordered two federal detectives and two ex-detectives to stand trial on charges of kidnaping for extortion for allegedly holding 15 South American women briefly to demand a bribe for not reporting them to immigration authorities.
- Appeals court upholds conviction of ex-NYC councilman Updated: Apr-28-16 4:33 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City councilman's bribery and fraud conviction and 10-year prison term was upheld Thursday by an appeals court that rejected various arguments, including that the First Amendment protects some bribes.
- Some principals charged with kickbacks faced financial woes Updated: Apr-28-16 12:56 pm
DETROIT - A dozen Detroit principals and an administrator are accused of finding a way to bleed their struggling public schools of $900,000 - ordering chairs, writing paper and other supplies that in most cases were never delivered, even as investigators doggedly battled fraud in a district that lacks textbooks and even toilet paper.
- High court seems poised to overturn McDonnell conviction Updated: Apr-27-16 3:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court could make it tougher for the government to crack down on public corruption, signaling Wednesday that it may overturn former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's federal bribery conviction.
- McDonnell case at high court will test reach of bribery laws Updated: Apr-26-16 1:08 pm
WASHINGTON - In its final argument of the term, the Supreme Court will weigh a former Virginia governor's contention that doing favors for a businessman who gave him gifts like a Rolex watch, golf outings and money for wedding catering did not amount to public corruption.
- Platini's CAS appeal to take place in Blatter's presence Updated: Apr-26-16 12:21 pm
- Corruption charges filed against former Dinamo Zagreb head Updated: Apr-26-16 7:18 am
ZAGREB, Croatia - Croatia's anti-graft authorities have filed charges against former Dinamo Zagreb president Zdravko Mamic for tax evasion, corruption and bribery.
- Ex-Arkansas judge to remain free during bribery appeal Updated: Apr-25-16 12:08 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal judge has ruled that a former Arkansas circuit court judge can remain free pending his appeal of a federal bribery conviction.
- Court accepts charges against Brazil banker Joseph Safra Updated: Apr-22-16 4:24 pm
SAO PAULO - A Brazilian federal court has accepted charges filed by prosecutors against banking tycoon Joseph Safra for allegedly agreeing to pay more than $4 million in bribes to tax auditors to reduce or annul fines on unpaid taxes.
- House arrest for ex-prosecutor candidate in corruption probe Updated: Apr-22-16 1:46 pm
CLEVELAND - A one-time county prosecutor candidate has been sentenced to a year of house arrest and five years' probation in a long-running corruption probe in the Youngstown area.
- Former Oklahoma auditor released from federal custody Updated: Apr-22-16 12:46 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Former Oklahoma Auditor and Inspector Jeff McMahan (MACK-muh-han) has been released from federal custody after serving more than seven years for felony conspiracy and accepting bribes.
- Court upholds ex-lawmaker's sentence in corruption case Updated: Apr-22-16 12:39 pm
HELENA, Montana - An appeals court has upheld a former Montana legislator's 7 ½-year prison sentence for his involvement in a corruption scheme on the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation.
- Attorney objects to judge appointment in telescope case Updated: Apr-22-16 9:24 am
HILO, Hawaii - A Honolulu attorney is asking the state to find another hearings officer to oversee the next contested case for the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope over concerns of a conflict of interest.
- Ex-consultant to Allentown mayor pleads in corruption probe Updated: Apr-21-16 12:22 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A former northeast Pennsylvania campaign manager surfaced in federal court Thursday, a year after he abruptly shuttered his firm and left home, to plead guilty in an ongoing FBI corruption probe of Reading and Allentown.
- China asks Indonesia to extradite Uighur prisoners Updated: Apr-21-16 4:46 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - China has asked Indonesia to extradite four Uighur men in exchange for returning a graft fugitive recently arrested in Shanghai, the top Indonesian security minister said Thursday.
- Con Edison to pay $171 million for bribery and kickbacks Updated: Apr-21-16 12:29 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state's largest utility will pay $171 million to its customers for bribery and kickback schemes uncovered by federal officials.
- Honolulu patrol officer arrested for prostitution, bribery Updated: Apr-20-16 7:33 pm
HONOLULU - A Honolulu Police Department patrol officer was arrested in Waikiki for attempted bribery, unauthorized use of a computer and prostitution.