- Guatemalan prosecutors urge president to resign amid scandal Updated: Aug-27-15 7:37 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Pressure grew Thursday on Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina to resign as business and government offices closed, protesters marched by the thousands and the attorney general's office urged him to step down "to prevent ungovernability that could destabilize the nation."
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- US blocks Nicaragua bid to extradite FIFA case suspect Updated: Aug-27-15 11:51 am
BERN, Switzerland - The United States has blocked Nicaragua's attempt to extradite FIFA bribery case suspect Julio Rocha to his home country.
- Ex-Ohio official who fled to Pakistan returned to US Updated: Aug-26-15 9:52 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Ohio deputy treasurer has been extradited from Pakistan to serve a 15-year prison sentence for a kickback scheme at the state treasurer's office, federal prosecutors say.
- Ex-San Antonio city official sentenced to prison for bribery Updated: Aug-26-15 8:16 pm
SAN ANTONIO - A former San Antonio city official has been sentenced to more than a year in federal prison for his part in a bribery scheme involving city contracts.
- Lawyer recuses from representing Arkansas Treasurer Updated: Aug-26-15 3:05 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Benton attorney has recused himself from representing Arkansas Treasurer Dennis Milligan in a potential ethics complaint investigation, citing a conflict of interest.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- New charges filed against Havre businessman in tribal probe Updated: Aug-26-15 2:11 pm
HELENA, Montana - A grand jury has handed down a new criminal indictment against a Havre businessman who already faces bribery, embezzlement and theft charges in a corruption investigation into the Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation.
- Money dealer: Brazil president knew of kickback scheme Updated: Aug-25-15 7:20 pm
SAO PAULO - A convicted black market money dealer who turned state's evidence told lawmakers on Tuesday that Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and her predecessor, former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, knew of the sprawling corruption kickback scheme that has engulfed state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Providence bar at center of Fox bribery scandal sold Updated: Aug-25-15 6:11 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence bar that allegedly bribed former Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox in order to get a liquor license has been sold.
- Nigerian graft-fighting commission accused of corruption Updated: Aug-25-15 3:31 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - The chairman of Nigeria's corruption-fighting Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is appearing before the Senate to answer accusations that he diverted billions of dollars.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Sen. Menendez's defense Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Monday against efforts by Sen. Bob Menendez to dismiss the corruption indictment against him, calling the case the result of an "exhaustive, focused and disciplined" investigation that spanned more than two years.
- Ex CONMEBOL head asks end of US extradition request Updated: Aug-24-15 5:31 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - A lawyer for the former president of South America's soccer confederation is requesting a Paraguayan judge to throw out a request by U.S. prosecutors to extradite him to the United States where he has been charged in a corruption scandal.
- Contractor: Former Mississippi prison leader sought bribes Updated: Aug-21-15 7:56 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - One man pleaded guilty Friday and another was indicted on federal charges that they paid bribes and kickbacks to a former Mississippi corrections commissioner in exchange for contracts.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- Federal prison guard in Va. pleads guilty to bribery Updated: Aug-21-15 11:55 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A guard at the federal prison in Petersburg has pleaded guilty to taking bribes in exchange for smuggling cigarettes to inmates.
- Florida ex-trooper gets 4+ years' prison in bribery scheme Updated: Aug-20-15 4:14 pm
MIAMI - A former Florida Highway Patrol trooper has been sentenced to more than four years in prison after pleading guilty to an extortion charge for accepting bribes in exchange for confidential accident reports.
- Ex-CEO pleads guilty to arranging bribes on traffic cameras Updated: Aug-20-15 3:22 pm
CHICAGO - The former chief executive of a red-light camera company changed her plea to guilty on Thursday in a scheme that funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to secure $124 million in city of Chicago contracts.
- Watchdog: Few states actively fighting corporate corruption Updated: Aug-20-15 4:40 am
BERLIN - An anti-corruption watchdog says only four of 41 countries that signed an anti-bribery convention 16 years ago are actively investigating and prosecuting companies that bribe foreign officials to win contracts, or dodge taxes and local laws.
- Ex-S. Korean prime minister to go to prison over bribery Updated: Aug-20-15 3:58 am
SEOUL, South Korea - A former South Korean prime minister will be sent to prison after the country's top court on Thursday upheld her bribery conviction, court officials said.
- Former auto bureau rep took bribes for passing permit exams Updated: Aug-20-15 3:07 am
BUFFALO, New York - A former auto bureau clerk admits he took bribes from people seeking learner's permits.
- RTD official to change plea in bribery case Updated: Aug-19-15 5:06 am
DENVER - According to court documents, a former senior manager of the Regional Transportation District who is accused of accepting bribes intends to change his not guilty plea.
- BNY Mellon paying $14.8M to settle charges on foreign fund Updated: Aug-18-15 2:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Wall Street bank BNY Mellon has agreed to pay $14.8 million to settle federal civil charges of attempting to influence officials of a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund by giving internships to their family members.
- Baltimore landfill supervisor pleads guilty to taking bribes Updated: Aug-17-15 4:23 pm
BALTIMORE - A supervisor at a Baltimore landfill has pleaded guilty to soliciting and accepting bribes from trash haulers to use the facility without paying fees.