- Attorney: Death penalty may be out in family massacre case Updated: Feb-10-16 9:04 pm
HOUSTON - The attorney for a man accused of fatally shooting eight people at a suburban Houston home says his client may be intellectually disqualified for a death sentence if convicted.
- Autistic man charged with stabbing mom held without bail Updated: Feb-09-16 8:12 am
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts - A 21-year-old autistic and developmentally disabled man charged with stabbing his mother has been ordered held without bail by a judge, despite pleas from his mother that he be freed and charges dropped.
- Orlando hospital pilots ER program to help kids with Autism Updated: Feb-07-16 3:05 am
ORLANDO, Florida - An Orlando children's hospital is piloting a new program to reduce stress for children with Autism when they visit the emergency room.
- Beatrice State Developmental Center gets new director Updated: Feb-05-16 7:56 am
BEATRICE, Nebraska - A new administrator has been announced for the Beatrice State Developmental Center.
- Report: Police acted properly in incident with autistic man Updated: Feb-05-16 7:31 am
KODIAK, Alaska - An independent investigation into a physical encounter between Kodiak police officers and an autistic man has determined that the three officers responded professionally.
- Disabled daughter saves mother after oxygen tank explodes Updated: Jan-26-16 2:56 pm
BUTTE, Montana - A 48-year-old woman developmentally disabled woman with myotonic muscular dystrophy saved her mother's life and stopped a house fire at their Butte home.
- Bill would delete 'mental retardation' from Ohio laws Updated: Jan-26-16 12:03 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill that seeks to delete the term "mental retardation" from the state's laws has cleared the Ohio House.
- Judge partially dismisses lawsuit over treatment of disabled Updated: Jan-20-16 12:20 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A federal judge has dismissed much of a long-standing lawsuit over Tennessee's treatment of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Man found not guilty by insanity committed for fatal attack Updated: Jan-20-16 7:23 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A 24-year-old man with autism has been committed to the state Psychiatric Security Review Board for 20 years after being found not guilty of manslaughter by reason of mental defect in November.
- Autism studies in girls, women getting more attention Updated: Jan-18-16 11:17 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Krista Lamando sat on a couch on a recent Friday afternoon, covered in blankets and content doing something she excels at- figuring out puzzles.
- Nixon calls for $131 million in new disability spending Updated: Jan-15-16 5:32 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will propose $131 million in new spending for developmental disabilities research and care in next year's budget.