- Beatrice State Developmental Center gets new director Updated: Feb-05-16 7:56 am
BEATRICE, Nebraska - A new administrator has been announced for the Beatrice State Developmental Center.
- Report: Police acted properly in incident with autistic man Updated: Feb-05-16 7:31 am
KODIAK, Alaska - An independent investigation into a physical encounter between Kodiak police officers and an autistic man has determined that the three officers responded professionally.
- Disabled daughter saves mother after oxygen tank explodes Updated: Jan-26-16 2:56 pm
BUTTE, Montana - A 48-year-old woman developmentally disabled woman with myotonic muscular dystrophy saved her mother's life and stopped a house fire at their Butte home.
- Bill would delete 'mental retardation' from Ohio laws Updated: Jan-26-16 12:03 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill that seeks to delete the term "mental retardation" from the state's laws has cleared the Ohio House.
- Judge partially dismisses lawsuit over treatment of disabled Updated: Jan-20-16 12:20 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A federal judge has dismissed much of a long-standing lawsuit over Tennessee's treatment of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Man found not guilty by insanity committed for fatal attack Updated: Jan-20-16 7:23 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A 24-year-old man with autism has been committed to the state Psychiatric Security Review Board for 20 years after being found not guilty of manslaughter by reason of mental defect in November.
- Autism studies in girls, women getting more attention Updated: Jan-18-16 11:17 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Krista Lamando sat on a couch on a recent Friday afternoon, covered in blankets and content doing something she excels at- figuring out puzzles.
- Nixon calls for $131 million in new disability spending Updated: Jan-15-16 5:32 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will propose $131 million in new spending for developmental disabilities research and care in next year's budget.
- Family objects to charges against 21-year-old autistic man Updated: Jan-14-16 7:28 am
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts - The family of an autistic 21-year-old Massachusetts man being held without bail on charges that he stabbed his mother says he should never have been charged.
- NY files: Caretakers, not agency, probe most disabled deaths Updated: Jan-12-16 11:33 am
ALBANY, New York - The agency responsible for protecting those with special needs declined to investigate most of the nearly 1,400 deaths of developmentally disabled people in state care in the past two years, leaving the majority of investigations to the caretaker facilities themselves, according to newly released records.
- Man who facilitated killing from jail is eligible for parole Updated: Jan-11-16 2:36 pm
NORTH HAVERHILL, New Hampshire - A New Hampshire man who was sentenced to prison for facilitating the killing of a developmentally disabled man through a series of jailhouse calls is eligible for parole on one of his charges.
- School district to pay $200,000 for autistic child program Updated: Jan-10-16 6:30 pm
KENNEWICK, Washington - The Kennewick School District must pay a family more than $200,000 after they pulled their autistic son from the district's schools and placed him in a residential treatment facility.
- The Latest: Budget calls for increase in Medi-Cal spending Updated: Jan-07-16 7:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on Gov. Jerry Brown's proposed California budget (all times local):