- Mom of battered autistic boy arrested; abuse charges pending Updated: Aug-04-15 11:17 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The Washington County Sheriff's Office says the mother of a badly beaten autistic boy has been arrested on a fugitive warrant in Pennsylvania and will be charged with child abuse upon her return to Maryland.
- Task force urges more research into child autism screening Updated: Aug-03-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - A government task force says more research is needed to determine if toddlers should be screened for autism even if check-ups or parents haven't spotted developmental problems - despite guidelines from other health groups that urge such screening.
- Charlie is an autism service dog in training Updated: Aug-03-15 4:05 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Animal lover and trainer Julie Shaw wants you to meet Charlie, a 10-week-old Australian Labradoodle bred for calmness - not because he's so cute and cuddly, which is a bonus, but because it will help raise awareness about autism.
- Music therapy classes welcome children with special needs Updated: Aug-02-15 12:08 pm
PADUCAH, Kentucky - The two boys at Harmony Road Music School banged on the drums, shook rain sticks and rattles, and tried to pick out tunes on the piano.
- Michigan panel recommends allowing marijuana for autism Updated: Jul-31-15 4:11 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan would become the first state to allow medical marijuana for children with severe autism if a senior official follows the recommendation made Friday by an advisory panel.
- Autism breakthrough: Animation program helps children Updated: Jul-31-15 6:15 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Everyone involved in treating children with autism, from the professionals to the parents to the children with autism themselves, can tell you how frustrating the treatment can be.
- Brain disorder center's closing sends ripples nationwide Updated: Jul-26-15 12:19 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - When Tyler Richardson's son hit puberty, the combination of hormones and new strength from a growth spurt added an element of danger to a long history of unpredictable behavior because of autism and severe anger problems.
- Report: Teen in hospital attack improperly placed there Updated: Jul-23-15 12:14 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A teenager accused in a brutal assault on a state psychiatric hospital staff member was placed in the adult institution in possible violation of a federal court order governing such decisions, according to a newspaper report Thursday.
- Developmentally disabled man stunned by police Updated: Jul-23-15 7:55 am
WEST ST. PAUL, Minnesota - West St. Paul police say an officer who used a stun gun on a developmentally disabled man thought he was the suspected gunman authorities had been seeking.
- Senators: Deal reached with Christie over Return Home policy Updated: Jul-20-15 5:41 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey residents with developmental disabilities living in out-of-state facilities and facing the prospect of a forced return to the state could remain where they are under a compromise unveiled Monday by lawmakers and supported by Gov. Chris Christie.
- Everything you need to know about Special Olympics Updated: Jul-20-15 4:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Special Olympics World Games will bring thousands of athletes with intellectual disabilities to Los Angeles this week to compete in more than a dozen sports. Here are some details about the event:
- Illinois adults in group homes, facilities see allowance cut Updated: Jul-20-15 12:52 pm
CHICAGO - Advocates want Gov. Bruce Rauner to restore a $60 monthly allowance for adults with developmental disabilities, but his administration insists there's no way to stop an automatic reduction to the allowance, especially given Illinois' finances.
- Task force on autism therapy for children to meet in Pierre Updated: Jul-16-15 2:08 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A task force spawned by a bill from the 2015 legislative session that mandates certain insurance plans cover a costly but effective treatment for children with autism is meeting in Pierre.
- Ige vetoes 8 bills; allows medical marijuana, autism bills Updated: Jul-15-15 12:14 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige is vetoing eight bills and approving many other proposals, bringing an end to the 2015 Legislative session.
- Study: Early clue to why some children may have reading woes Updated: Jul-14-15 2:34 pm
WASHINGTON - New research suggests it may be possible to predict which preschoolers will struggle to read - and it has to do with how the brain deciphers speech when it's noisy.
- Bismarck gymnastics facility offers special needs classes Updated: Jul-12-15 12:04 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A gymnastics facility in Bismarck is offering different classes in a new program for children with special needs.
- Authorities search for boy who disappeared Thursday Updated: Jul-11-15 2:17 pm
ST. JAMES, Missouri - Authorities are searching a heavily-wooded area in central Missouri for a missing boy who has autism.
- Probe: No wrongdoing in autistic student's choking death Updated: Jul-07-15 7:49 am
NEW YORK - An investigation has found no wrongdoing in the choking death of an autistic Brooklyn student.
- Authorities: Autistic boy, 6, on life support after beating Updated: Jul-06-15 5:49 pm
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - Sheriff's officials say a 6-year-old autistic boy is on life support after he was beaten by his mother's boyfriend.