- Fundraiser seeks to get children's books to Flint doctors Updated: Apr-29-16 1:55 am
FLINT, Michigan - A fundraising campaign is seeking to get kids' books to Flint doctors so that they're able to identify developmental issues.
- Comcast buying DreamWorks Animation for about $3.55B Updated: Apr-28-16 3:44 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast is buying DreamWorks Animation, the film company behind the "Shrek," ''Madagascar" and "Kung Fu Panda" franchises, for approximately $3.55 billion, strengthening its presence in the important and growing business of children's entertainment.
- Linda Fairstein writing crime series for young people Updated: Apr-27-16 9:06 am
NEW YORK - The latest sleuth for best-selling crime writer Linda Fairstein is relatively new to the mystery game.
- Designer of state seal still creating vivid artwork at 84 Updated: Apr-24-16 3:05 am
CENTRALIA, Washington - If you live in Washington, there's a good chance you have already seen one Lewis County resident's artwork.
- The Latest: Police say transient shot officers at Walmart Updated: Apr-23-16 3:19 pm
CHANDLER, Arizona - The Latest on a shooting at a Walmart store in suburban Phoenix (all times local):
- Actress hold book reading in support of autism awareness Updated: Apr-21-16 5:14 pm
CUMMING, Georgia - Actress Holly Robinson Peete held an intimate book-reading event in Atlanta for children with autism and their families.
- Young adult fiction booming on Broadway but cute it ain't Updated: Apr-19-16 11:30 am
NEW YORK - When actress and playwright Claudia Shear was first approached to turn a novel for young adults into a Broadway musical, she was slightly stunned.
- In crackdown on celebrity, China bans stars' kids from shows Updated: Apr-18-16 5:52 am
BEIJING - China is banning the children of famous entertainers from appearing on hugely popular reality shows, as the country continues efforts to try to prevent the manufacture of child stars.
- Illegal pot operation found after break-in at book store Updated: Apr-13-16 6:45 pm
SEATTLE - A break-in at a children's bookstore led Seattle police to an illegal marijuana growing operation in a commercial space next door.
- First Look: 'Captain America: Civil War' debuts at CinemaCon Updated: Apr-13-16 5:55 pm
LAS VEGAS - Batman and Superman aren't the only superheroes at odds this year, but while the setup might be similar, their messy "Dawn of Justice" showdown doesn't even compare to the pure blockbuster joy of "Captain America: Civil War."
- Holy Bible on list of 'challenged' books at libraries Updated: Apr-11-16 10:45 am
NEW YORK - On the latest list of books most objected to at public schools and libraries, one title has been targeted nationwide, at times for the sex and violence it contains, but mostly for the legal issues it raises.
- Author Beverly Cleary turns 100 with wit, candor Updated: Apr-10-16 11:53 am
SAN FRANCISCO - As she turns 100, the feisty and witty author Beverly Cleary remembers the Oregon childhood that inspired the likes of characters Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins in the children's books that sold millions and enthralled generations of youngsters.
- Zari, new female puppet, joins Afghan Sesame Street Updated: Apr-09-16 4:26 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - There's a new face on Sesame Street - a sassy, fun 6-year-old Afghan puppet girl called Zari, with purple skin, an orange nose and multi-colored hair, an infectious giggle and outfits to please Afghanistan's broad kaleidoscope of ethnicities and cultures.
- Universal Hollywood's Harry Potter attraction opens Updated: Apr-07-16 3:30 pm
LOS ANGELES - A big crowd has turned out at Universal Studios Hollywood for the opening of its new Harry Potter-themed attraction.
- Harry Potter author's chair sells for $394,000 at auction Updated: Apr-06-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - The humble chair J.K. Rowling sat on while writing the first two books of the Harry Potter series was auctioned in New York City on Wednesday for $394,000.
- Chinese writer Cao wins international children's book prize Updated: Apr-06-16 9:42 am
MILAN - Chinese author Cao Wenxuan and German illustrator Rotraut Susanne Berner have been awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Prize for children's literature.
- Rural libraries in 2 states invited to apply for grants Updated: Apr-03-16 11:31 am
WATERBURY CENTER, Vermont - The Children's Literacy Foundation is inviting rural libraries in Vermont and New Hampshire to apply for grants to increase their children's book collections.
- Seldovia writer, artist debut new children's book Updated: Apr-02-16 9:25 am
HOMER, Alaska - In April 2013, starting from their Seldovia home, Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman and their two children, Katmai, now 7, and Lituya, now 5, set off to circumnavigate Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet by foot and pack raft. About a week out a storm stopped them at Aurora Lagoon on the south side of the bay. Low on food, McKittrick said she was trying to figure out how to keep her young son and daughter happy.
- Museum invites visitors into colorful world of Eric Carle Updated: Apr-01-16 10:01 am
ATLANTA - Atlanta's High Museum of Art is inviting visitors into a colorful world populated by playful animals and imaginative children.