- Russia proposes March 1 ceasefire in Syria; US wants it now Updated: Feb-10-16 10:14 pm
MUNICH - Russia has proposed a March 1 ceasefire in Syria, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but Washington believes Moscow is giving itself and the Syrian government three weeks to try to crush moderate rebel groups.
- The Latest: Russia has held important talks with US on Syria Updated: Feb-10-16 4:03 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria and the tens of thousands of Syrians fleeing violence (all times local):
- Russia says it will offer new ideas to restart Syria talks Updated: Feb-05-16 4:24 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Facing Western criticism over the halt to Syria peace talks, Russia said Friday it plans to present new ideas on how to restart peace efforts at a meeting of nearly 20 key nations on Feb. 11.
- UN OKs mission to monitor future cease-fire in Colombia Updated: Jan-25-16 7:31 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Monday unanimously approved a resolution to establish a political mission to monitor and verify a future cease-fire in Colombia that would end Latin America's longest-running guerrilla conflict.
- UN envoy lowers expectations ahead of Syria talks on Friday Updated: Jan-25-16 3:43 pm
GENEVA - Lowering expectations about his ability to help end Syria's civil war, the U.N. special envoy announced talks between government and opposition representatives will start on Friday to embark on a six-month process that he hopes will include civil society and women's groups.
- Kerry dismisses posturing ahead of peace talks on Syria Updated: Jan-25-16 11:28 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday dismissed Syrian government claims and opposition complaints as posturing ahead of U.N.-led peace talks that are to begin Friday and last six months.
- Kerry, Lavrov try to settle differences over Syrian talks Updated: Jan-20-16 10:56 am
ZURICH - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met on Wednesday in hopes of resolving differences over who is eligible to join U.N.-mediated peace talks for Syria due to begin next week. Those differences have threatened to delay the start of the negotiations.
- Colombia, rebels request UN monitor ceasefire Updated: Jan-19-16 3:16 pm
HAVANA - Colombia's government and the country's largest rebel group marked another milestone in their rapidly advancing peace talks Tuesday, jointly requesting that the United Nations establish an international observer mission to monitor a disarmament process that could end in a matter of weeks Latin America's longest-running guerrilla conflict.
- Deep in Colombian jungle, peace looms at rebel hideout Updated: Jan-19-16 3:13 pm
IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHWEST COLOMBIA - The rebel leader known as Juan Pablo carries with him a new telescopic assault rifle and a heavy heart.
- Kerry stands by Saudis while urging diplomacy with Iran Updated: Jan-14-16 9:57 am
LONDON - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday stood by ally Saudi Arabia in its widening rift with Iran over the execution of a Shiite cleric while urging the regional rivals to pursue a diplomatic solution.
- Negotiators vow to enforce cease-fire in eastern Ukraine Updated: Jan-13-16 2:22 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Negotiators at the Ukraine peace talks have promised to make new efforts to enforce a shaky cease-fire in eastern Ukraine, an envoy said Wednesday.
- Suu Kyi takes part in talks to boost Myanmar cease-fire Updated: Jan-12-16 4:57 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - Aung San Suu Kyi, whose pro-democracy party will take over power in Myanmar from a pro-military government in coming months, on Tuesday participated for the first time in official talks to bring peace with the country's fractious ethnic minorities.