- In Syria, government pursues local cease-fires Updated: Mar-01-14 12:33 pm
- US warns Russia on Ukraine, nudges Georgia to West Updated: Feb-26-14 1:11 pm
- UN trapped inside base due to South Sudan fighting Updated: Feb-19-14 9:47 am
- Longtime Syria activist now negotiates peace Updated: Feb-14-14 6:26 am
- What cease-fire? South Sudan violence persists Updated: Feb-12-14 9:50 am
BEIRUT - In one besieged neighborhood after another, weary rebels have turned over their weapons to the Syrian government in exchange for an easing of suffocating blockades that have prevented food, medicine and other staples from reaching civilians trapped inside.
WASHINGTON - The United States on Wednesday warned Russia against a military intervention in Ukraine as it renewed demands that Moscow withdraw troops from disputed enclaves in another former Soviet republic, Georgia. The U.S. also urged Georgia to further integrate with Europe and NATO in calls that come amid growing tensions between Russia and the West over the ouster of Ukraine's pro-Moscow president.
JUBA, South Sudan - Fighting between South Sudan's army and rebels in the capital of one of its oil-rich states is forcing U.N. personnel to remain inside a base where more than 20,000 frightened residents are seeking refuge, officials said Wednesday.
GENEVA - As a human rights lawyer and longtime pro-democracy activist in Syria, Suheir Atassi once said she would never negotiate with President Bashar Assad's government.
JUBA, South Sudan - Cluster bombs. Rebel forces advancing on a major city. Accusations of continuing attacks. The cease-fire in South Sudan appears to not be holding.