- Parades, hot dogs, cold beer: America celebrates July 4 Updated: Jul-04-15 11:07 pm
Parades, fireworks, naturalization ceremonies, eating contests and music ushered in the Fourth of July as the United States marked 239 years as an independent nation on Saturday. Here were some highlights of Independence Day celebrations:
- Music, cultural celebrations mark July 4th festivities in DC Updated: Jul-04-15 10:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Symphony played the "1812 Overture" as cannons roared amid a fireworks display on the National Mall.
- Gov. Walker and Wisconsin GOP retreat on open records limits Updated: Jul-04-15 5:23 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - In a sudden reversal amid a stinging backlash, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and GOP legislative leaders said they agreed Saturday to completely remove a part of the proposed state budget that would severely roll back open records laws.
- Trooper: Oklahoma cheerleaders injured in crash after parade Updated: Jul-04-15 3:23 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma troopers say a high school cheerleader is in critical condition following a rollover crash that injured two other girls and two adults who were leaving a Fourth of July parade.
- Celebrations planned throughout Delaware for July Fourth Updated: Jul-04-15 1:01 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware is celebrating the Fourth of July with parades, food-eating contests and fireworks.
- Bristol celebrates 230th 4th of July festivities with parade Updated: Jul-04-15 9:50 am
BRISTOL, Rhode Island - Rhode Island is hosting what's called the nation's oldest continuous Fourth of July celebration.
- Hassan to participate in July Fourth celebrations statewide Updated: Jul-04-15 8:47 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - While the July 4 weekend means vacation for most New Hampshire residents, the same can't be said for politicians.
- Shumlin to march in Bristol, Brandon parades Updated: Jul-04-15 8:17 am
BRISTOL, Vermont - Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin is marching in two parades on the Fourth of July.
- Fireworks, parades, maple bacon for Nevada's Fourth of July Updated: Jul-03-15 3:04 pm
LAS VEGAS - The sky over the Silver State will sparkle with fireworks from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas come Saturday.
- In America's birthplace, concerts, parade and a beer garden Updated: Jul-03-15 8:46 am
PHILADELPHIA - America's birthplace is starting its Fourth of July celebration a little early.
- Indiana town cancels holiday boat parade due to flooding Updated: Jul-03-15 8:37 am
NEWBURGH, Indiana - A southwestern Indiana town has canceled its inaugural Fourth of July weekend boat parade due to flooding along the Ohio River spawned by recent heavy rainfall.
- NBA player returns to Ames for holiday parade Updated: Jul-03-15 7:56 am
AMES, Iowa - An Ames native and member of the NBA champion Golden State Warriors is serving as grand marshal for his hometown's Fourth of July parade.
- Bevin, Conway to campaign in Campbellsville on July Fourth Updated: Jul-03-15 4:03 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's two major party candidates for governor are not taking a day off for Independence Day.
- Dog flu concerns keep dachshunds out of July 4 parade Updated: Jul-03-15 2:02 am
HARBOR SPRINGS, Michigan - Concerns about dog flu are keeping a group of dachshunds from participating in a Fourth of July parade in northern Michigan.
- With new chair, NY St. Patrick's parade to add 2nd gay group Updated: Jul-01-15 7:52 pm
NEW YORK - After ending a long and controversial ban on gay groups this year, the nation's largest St. Patrick's Day parade has new leadership and plans to add another gay contingent to its ranks, organizers said Wednesday.
- Court ruling makes Chicago Pride parade 'a true celebration' Updated: Jun-29-15 6:50 am
CHICAGO - People filling streets and sidewalks for Chicago's annual gay pride parade said Sunday's event was particularly meaningful - and an even bigger celebration than usual - following the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling allowing same-sex marriages in all 50 states.
- New York celebrates same-sex marriage law for 2nd time Updated: Jun-28-15 8:44 pm
NEW YORK - More than 20,000 people marched Sunday in the city's gay pride parade, passing hundreds of thousands of spectators celebrating the U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide.
- Supreme Court ruling makes pride parades historic, jubilant Updated: Jun-28-15 7:55 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hundreds of thousands of people on Sunday packed gay pride events from Chicago to New York City, Seattle to San Francisco, with overall attendance expected in the millions for what amounted to a celebration of a freshly endorsed right to marry.
- Seattle gay pride event is about families, participants say Updated: Jun-28-15 3:23 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle's gay pride celebration has evolved from a political parade to a family event featuring bounce houses, free ice cream and marching Boy Scouts and cheerleaders.
- Stanley Cup to add touch of bling to Chicago Pride parade Updated: Jun-28-15 5:07 am
CHICAGO - There's more partying in store for the bar-hopping Stanley Cup.
- US same-sex marriage ruling likely to impact other countries Updated: Jun-27-15 8:47 pm
LONDON - The landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling in favor of same-sex marriages has no legal force outside the United States, but gay rights activists in many parts of the world believe the court ruling will help their cause.
- Lead plaintiff in gay marriage case returns to Ohio Updated: Jun-27-15 4:59 pm
CINCINNATI - A Cincinnati native who was the lead plaintiff in the historic Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage has come back to his hometown to celebrate.
- Waterbury holds Not Quite Independence Day Parade Updated: Jun-27-15 8:17 am
WATERBURY, Vermont - Next weekend is Fourth of July but the town of Waterbury is celebrating early.
- American Royal Parade moving from downtown Kansas City Updated: Jun-26-15 3:51 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - After decades in downtown Kansas City, the American Royal Parade is moving to Kauffman Stadium.
- Slidell council revises Mardi Gras parade ordinance Updated: Jun-24-15 8:52 am
SLIDELL, Louisiana - The Slidell City Council has adopted an amended parade ordinance that clears the way for a new parading krewe to join the city's lineup.