- Irish leaders end deadlock, make deal for new government Updated: Apr-29-16 4:13 pm
DUBLIN - Ireland's age-old political enemies struck a historic deal Friday night to create a fragile new government following an inconclusive election and two months of deadlock.
- South Sudan forms new coalition government of national unity Updated: Apr-29-16 12:04 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's leaders have formed a transitional coalition government bringing together politicians from the government and the armed opposition who have been at war for two and a half years.
- Spain predicts 2.5 percent annual growth for next 4 years Updated: Apr-29-16 8:20 am
MADRID - The Spanish economy will grow at an average annual rate of 2.5 percent over the next four years- one of the strongest in the European Union - and will create some 2 million jobs, the country's caretaker government predicted Friday.
- Spain heads to new election after talks fail to form govt Updated: Apr-26-16 3:59 pm
MADRID - Spain's King Felipe VI decided Tuesday that none of the country's political parties has enough support to form a government, setting the stage for an unprecedented repeat election in June, six months after voters ended the nation's traditional two-party system.
- Chilean poet Neruda reburied at his coastal home Updated: Apr-26-16 3:54 pm
ISLA NEGRA, Chile - The remains of Nobel Prize-winning poet Pablo Neruda were reburied on Tuesday at his favorite home in a Chilean town overlooking the Pacific Ocean, despite lingering questions surrounding his mysterious death.
- South Sudan rebel leader returns to the capital Updated: Apr-26-16 2:17 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar returned to the capital Juba on Tuesday afternoon, to become vice president and to try to end the civil war that in two and a half years has killed tens of thousands of people and forced more than 2 million from their homes.
- The Latest: White House touts security agreements in Gulf Updated: Apr-21-16 10:57 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The Latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with top officials from six Arab nations in Saudi Arabia. (all times local):
- South Sudan: Worries that peace deal may collapse Updated: Apr-20-16 1:33 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's peace deal may collapse after rebel leader Riek Machar failed to return to the capital as planned, observers and a ceasefire monitor said Wednesday.
- Syria talks resume, chances seen as very slim amid violence Updated: Apr-16-16 1:49 pm
BEIRUT - Indirect peace talks between Syria's warring parties have resumed in Geneva to the backdrop of escalating violence in the country's north and a refusal by the Syrian government to negotiate a transitional government, a key opposition demand.
- Ukrainian president's ally is elected as new prime minister Updated: Apr-14-16 4:42 pm
MOSCOW - The speaker of the Ukrainian parliament was elected the country's new prime minister Thursday in a vote that the government hopes will end a months-long political crisis but which reformers say gives Ukraine's oligarchs a free hand in running the country.
- AP INTERVIEW: Top Syrian official rules out Assad departure Updated: Apr-13-16 5:15 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - A top Syrian official said on Wednesday that the opposition has to let go of its "dream" for a transitional government, saying that such a thing amounts to a coup d'etat and "will never be accepted."
- $1.1M spent on Gov. Edwards' inauguration and transition Updated: Apr-11-16 4:07 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards spent about $1.1 million on his inauguration festivities and other transition expenses as he prepared to take office.
- Review: 'The 14th Colony' by Steve Berry is gripping novel Updated: Apr-05-16 2:33 pm
"The 14th Colony" (Minotaur), by Steve Berry
- Central African Republic president names new prime minister Updated: Apr-03-16 7:37 am
BANGUI, Central African Republic - Central African Republic's newly elected president has appointed his campaign manager as the country's prime minister.
- Key official says South Sudan unity government within reach Updated: Apr-01-16 12:36 am
UNITED NATIONS - The head of an international group monitoring South Sudan's peace process said Thursday the formation of a transitional national unity government in South Sudan was now within reach.
- International experts approve Kosovo-Montenegro border deal Updated: Mar-31-16 4:14 pm
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo's outgoing president, Atifete Jahjaga, said Thursday international experts have concluded that a border demarcation deal with Montenegro is in line with international standards.