- New income guidelines released for nutrition program Updated: May-02-15 9:01 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - The South Dakota Department of Health has released new income guidelines for a federal nutrition program that assists mothers, infants and children.
- Simmons of 'Top Chef' joins school nutrition effort in NYC Updated: Apr-30-15 5:00 pm
NEW YORK - "Top Chef" judge Gail Simmons is joining anti-hunger advocates and the officials who serve 850,000 New York City school meals a day to raise awareness of childhood nutrition issues.
- Genetic testing moves into world of employee health Updated: Apr-28-15 8:41 pm
Your employer may one day help determine if your genes are why your jeans have become too snug.
- Lawmakers to hold hearing on food stamp, drug screen bills Updated: Apr-28-15 3:15 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislators have introduced a set of bills that would require food stamp users to buy healthy food and require drug screening for state job training program applicants and some unemployment benefit claimants.
- Chiropractor accused of scamming seniors in weight loss scam Updated: Apr-23-15 7:17 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Authorities are accusing a Utah chiropractor of charging people thousands of dollars for a phony weight loss scheme that he said required no exercise.
- Buying junk with food stamps? Maybe not for long in Maine Updated: Apr-23-15 6:28 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican Gov. Paul LePage's administration urged lawmakers Thursday to support a bill that seeks to allow the state to prevent people in the food stamp program from using benefits to buy items like soda, chips and candy.
- Food Babe blogger Vani Hari taking heat over health science Updated: Apr-23-15 11:52 am
NEW YORK - As truth wars go, Vani Hari of the Food Babe blog has produced a doozy.
- Illinois among states seeing increase in food stamps Updated: Apr-22-15 4:52 pm
CHICAGO - Demand for food stamps has increased in Illinois and 10 other states despite a healthier economy and better jobs numbers. An Associated Press analysis finds it's an unforeseen consequence of President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Vitamin Shoppe rises as Carlson Capital boosts stake Updated: Apr-22-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of nutritional supplement seller Vitamin Shoppe jumped Wednesday after the asset management firm Carlson Capital said it has boosted its stake in the company.
- Health law brings growth in food stamps in some states Updated: Apr-22-15 1:17 pm
CHICAGO - President Barack Obama's health care law has had a surprising side effect: In some states, it appears to be enticing more Americans to apply for food stamps, even as the economy improves.
- FDA: Safety problems prompted review of homeopathic remedies Updated: Apr-21-15 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - A top federal drug regulator says increased safety problems with homeopathic remedies contributed to the government's decision to revisit its oversight of the products this week.
- Christie wishes he had weight-loss surgery sooner Updated: Apr-16-15 8:37 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he's healthy more than two years after he had weight-loss surgery.
- FDA warns of liver injury from muscle-building supplement Updated: Apr-13-15 5:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers to avoid dietary supplements sold by a Las Vegas company because they may contain anabolic steroids that can cause liver damage.
- New York lawmakers mull warning labels on sugary beverages Updated: Apr-13-15 5:04 pm
ALBANY, New York - Public health advocates urged New York state lawmakers Monday to require labels on sugary drinks to warn consumers about the dangers of obesity, diabetes and tooth decay.
- Six-hundred-pound Kansas man to take part in 5K per month Updated: Apr-10-15 2:02 pm
NORTHLAND, Kansas - Three hundred and some odd pounds separate Derek Mitchell and the man on the phone. Something much more important bonds them, and this is where a story of bravery, compassion and self-improvement is inspiring people here in Kansas City and across the world.
- Arena Pharmaceuticals shares rise on weight loss drug patent Updated: Apr-07-15 10:55 am
NEW YORK - Shares of Arena Pharmaceuticals rose Tuesday after the drug developer said it received an additional patent for its weight loss drug Belviq.