- Silver reigns on Met Gala red carpet Updated: May-02-16 7:44 pm
NEW YORK - Met Gala grande dame Anna Wintour was the first to arrive on the red carpet Monday, in a fringed, white body-hugging gown by Chanel and acknowledging her life is not a great example of the evening's theme, the convergence of man and machine.
- Artist loans Warhol inspired works to museum after heist Updated: May-02-16 1:06 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Colorado artist has loaned a series of paintings inspired by the works of Andy Warhol to a southwest Missouri museum from which seven valuable Warhol prints of Campbell soup cans were stolen.
- Cape Cod art museum reopening after renovation, expansion Updated: May-02-16 9:34 am
COTUIT, Massachusetts - The stairs in the 18th-century building that has long housed the Cahoon Museum of American Art were small and steep. So small and steep that many past patrons had to skip upstairs galleries entirely.
- NYC exhibition: 4 whaling paintings by J.M.W. Turner Updated: Apr-29-16 7:53 am
NEW YORK - Four whaling paintings by the British artist J.M.W. Turner will be united for the first time in an upcoming exhibition in New York City.
- LACMA receives record-breaking $75 million donations Updated: Apr-28-16 8:44 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County Museum of Art has received two donations totaling $75 million toward its new modernist building.
- Travel news: Universal-Exorcist, Eiteljorg, toilets, LLBean Updated: Apr-27-16 11:41 am
UNIVERSAL PARKS' HALLOWEEN THEME: 'THE EXORCIST'
- French billionaire to create new art museum in Paris Updated: Apr-27-16 10:34 am
PARIS - The French billionaire and art collector Francois Pinault has announced the creation of a new contemporary art museum in central Paris.
- Met curator Andrew Bolton, quiet defender of fashion as art Updated: Apr-25-16 11:38 am
NEW YORK - The opening seconds of the trailer for "The First Monday in May," the new documentary about the dizzyingly star-studded Met Gala, show pop star Rihanna tossing her fashionable head in slo-mo as the red-carpet cameras click furiously. Suitably, she sports a glistening tiara.
- David Geffen gives $100 million to Museum of Modern Art Updated: Apr-21-16 4:20 pm
NEW YORK - New York's Museum of Modern Art says it has received a $100 million gift from entertainment executive and philanthropist David Geffen.
- Rembrandt's earliest masterpiece coming to US for 1st time Updated: Apr-20-16 3:32 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City museum says Rembrandt's earliest masterpiece will be exhibited in the U.S. for the first time.
- U of Illinois art museum plans summer closure for renovation Updated: Apr-18-16 11:05 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - The University of Illinois' Krannert Art Museum will be renovated this summer and into the fall.
- Worcester Art Museum holds Star Wars day Updated: Apr-16-16 9:24 am
WORCESTER, Massachusetts - The Force is strong at the Worcester Art Museum.
- Pianist Cecil Taylor makes triumphant comeback at Whitney Updated: Apr-15-16 4:10 pm
NEW YORK - The visionary 87-year-old jazz pianist Cecil Taylor received a standing ovation as he walked slowly to the stage at the Whitney Museum of American Art, using a cane and holding his assistant's arm.
- Ukraine recovers 4 stolen Dutch paintings Updated: Apr-14-16 4:31 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukrainian officials have announced the recovery of four paintings from a trove of Dutch Golden Age art that was stolen from a Dutch museum more than a decade ago.
- Following vaccine controversy, Tribeca rolls out red carpet Updated: Apr-14-16 3:45 am
NEW YORK - The 15th annual Tribeca Film Festival kicked off fashionably with the premiere of Andrew Rossi's "The First Monday in May," a behind-the-scenes documentary about the mounting of an ambitious fashion exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the museum's annual star-studded Met Gala.
- Uptown and downtown collide at this year's Tribeca fest Updated: Apr-12-16 3:37 pm
NEW YORK - At the Tribeca Film Festival, worlds as far apart as Elvis and Nixon, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Justin Bieber, are colliding.
- FBI offers reward in Missouri theft of Warhol prints Updated: Apr-12-16 10:32 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Federal investigators looking into the theft of artwork - including Andy Warhol prints of Campbell soup cans - at a southwest Missouri museum hope a $25,000 reward stirs up leads.
- Upstate NY college lands Mellon Foundation grant for museum Updated: Apr-12-16 12:19 am
SARATOGA SPRINGS, New York - An upstate New York college is getting more than $1 million in grants to fund a three-year initiative involving the school's art museum.
- Western art from NYC collection on display at State Museum Updated: Apr-12-16 12:18 am
ALBANY, New York - Artwork from the western United States created by such artist as Georgia O'Keeffe and Frederic Remington is now on display at the New York State Museum.
- Museum program touches hearts, minds of the elderly Updated: Apr-11-16 9:20 am
FITCHBURG, Massachusetts - The concept of art therapy is not new.
- Museum installing spring round of outdoor art reproductions Updated: Apr-10-16 5:24 pm
DETROIT - The Detroit Institute of Arts is installing works for the spring edition of its program that puts up artwork reproductions outdoors in southeastern Michigan.
- Copyright infringement suit filed over Mapplethorpe photos Updated: Apr-08-16 7:26 am
NEW YORK - A photographer has filed a $65 million lawsuit against the Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation alleging he took the images of the late photographer in drag long identified as self-portraits.
- Austrian museum to return 2 Schiele works to Jewish heiress Updated: Apr-07-16 9:45 am
VIENNA - A Vienna museum has agreed to give up two of five drawings by Austrian artist Egon Schiele that were at the center of a dispute over Nazi-looted art.
- Whitney Museum honors Leonard Lauder for his contributions Updated: Apr-06-16 9:16 am
NEW YORK - The Whitney Museum of American Art has honored cosmetics tycoon Leonard Lauder for his significant contributions to its collection.
- University of Iowa proposes new site to house art collection Updated: Apr-04-16 4:00 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa officials have proposed a new location for a building to house its art museum less than a month after pulling out of a public-private partnership for the project.