- Picture this: The Met will feature exhibit on crime photos Updated: Feb-12-16 10:37 am
NEW YORK - Picture this: The Metropolitan Museum of Art is turning to crime.
- Sitka hosts mask exhibit featuring 10 common Alaska diseases Updated: Feb-12-16 4:06 am
SITKA, Alaska - Growing up in Eagle River, Drew Michael pursued art with a fervency that reached "nerd" levels.
- Director of Northwest Museum of Arts is fired Updated: Feb-11-16 3:30 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The trustees of the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture in Spokane have voted to remove Forrest Rodgers as the museum's executive director.
- Trib publisher labeled 2015's 'most generous' American Updated: Feb-09-16 1:00 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Chronicle of Philanthropy is describing the late publisher of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dick Scaife, as 2015's "most generous American."
- Bentonville museum takes American art exhibition on the road Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 pm
BENTONVILLE, Arkansas - An 11-step set of instructions awaits whoever opens "Box 11" upon arrival in Savannah, Georgia, from Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.
- Bennington Museum offers free admission Saturday Updated: Feb-06-16 8:42 am
BENNINGTON, Vermont - The Bennington Museum is offering free admission on its community day.
- Great Plains Art Museum to boast 19th century engravings Updated: Feb-04-16 5:05 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Great Plains Art Museum's first exhibition of the year will feature 19th-century engravings of wildlife that roamed the American plains.
- Frida Kahlo exhibition opens in Russian museum Updated: Feb-02-16 2:05 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Russia's first major exhibition dedicated to Mexican surrealist painter Frida Kahlo has opened in a St. Petersburg museum.
- DIA welcomes millionth local visitor since millage passage Updated: Feb-01-16 1:41 pm
DETROIT - One million people from Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties have visited the Detroit Institute of Arts since a special millage providing funds for the museum's operations was passed.
- NYC's Museum of Modern Art unveils revised expansion plan Updated: Jan-27-16 6:11 pm
NEW YORK - New York City's Museum of Modern Art has unveiled a revised expansion plan.
- Ai Weiwei withdraws works in Denmark due to immigration law Updated: Jan-27-16 12:14 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei is withdrawing his works from two museums in Denmark to protest a new law that allows Danish authorities to seize valuables from migrants.
- Art Institute of Chicago receives $35 million cash gift Updated: Jan-27-16 3:01 am
CHICAGO - The Art Institute of Chicago has received a $35 million cash donation from the estate of the widow of a Boston hardware supplier.
- Boston museum acquires rare Frida Kahlo painting Updated: Jan-26-16 5:46 pm
BOSTON - Boston's Museum of Fine Arts has become the only New England museum to add a Frida Kahlo painting to its permanent collection.
- Dubuque library refuses $6M offer for Grant Wood painting Updated: Jan-24-16 5:11 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Dubuque library officials recently rejected a $6 million offer for one of their two paintings by renowned Iowa artist Grant Wood.
- Detroit art museum leader planning 'Director's Cut' talks Updated: Jan-24-16 4:01 am
DETROIT - The director of the Detroit Institute of Arts is participating in a series of Detroit-area talks that offer residents a chance to share their ideas about the museum.
- Exhibit of Bill Cosby's art led to ethical questions Updated: Jan-23-16 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Bill Cosby was well on his way to becoming a national pariah for his alleged sexual misconduct when the Smithsonian launched an exhibit funded by Cosby and his wife that showcases art from their private collection.
- Virtual reality experience highlight of new Dali Museum show Updated: Jan-22-16 3:08 pm
Visitors to a new exhibition at The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida, won't just be looking at art. Thanks to virtual reality, they'll be exploring a Dali painting in a dreamy, three-dimensional world that turns art appreciation into an unforgettable, immersive experience.
- Board approves major gift to Oklahoma State Museum of Art Updated: Jan-22-16 2:32 pm
LANGSTON, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma State University Board of Regents has approved a gift from the Leon Polk Smith Foundation that will bring the influential work of an Oklahoma-born artist to the OSU Museum of Art.
- Russians wait hours in freezing weather to see art exhibit Updated: Jan-22-16 11:39 am
MOSCOW - Undeterred by sub-zero temperatures, Russians have been queuing for hours outside a Moscow art gallery to see a temporary impressionist exhibit.
- Brera museum's new British director lays out vision Updated: Jan-21-16 2:03 pm
MILAN - The new British-Canadian director of Milan's Brera Art Gallery has pledged to complete a nearly half-century-old project to create a contemporary art gallery across the street, presenting it Thursday among his plans to revitalize the 200-year-old museum.
- Deep below the museum Updated: Jan-20-16 2:02 am
CODY, Wyoming - The museum within the museum is a secret world, entered only by special pass code.
- Noted Charleston art museum reopening in May Updated: Jan-19-16 3:38 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The Gibbes Museum of Art in Charleston's historic district will reopen in May following a $13 million renovation project of almost two years.
- Documentary examines life and work of art forger Mark Landis Updated: Jan-16-16 9:01 am
SHEFFIELD, Alabama - Art forgery is an old crime, dating back to the renaissance and possibly back to the Roman Empire.
- St. Petersburg's Dali Museum to open show on Disney and Dali Updated: Jan-15-16 5:40 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - An exhibition about Walt Disney and surrealist artist Salvador Dali opens Jan. 23 at the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.