- Man injured in Salt Lake City police shooting Updated: Feb-01-16 1:39 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Police say a man holding a gun was shot and wounded after a short chase in Salt Lake City.
- 10,000 young migrants unaccounted for, EU police agency says Updated: Feb-01-16 1:34 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Authorities dealing with Europe's migrant crisis have lost track of about 10,000 unaccompanied children amid fears that organized crime gangs are beginning to exploit the vulnerable youngsters, a senior official at the European Union's police agency said Monday.
- San Francisco police face US Justice Department review Updated: Feb-01-16 1:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The U.S. Department of Justice launched a review of the San Francisco Police Department, an agency facing scrutiny over the shooting death of a young black man and the emergence of homophobic and racist text messages exchanged between officers.
- Police: Officer fatally shoots man in northeast Washington Updated: Feb-01-16 1:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Police in the District of Columbia say an officer fatally shot a man who pulled out a weapon that turned out to be a BB gun.
- Man shot by Florida deputy concedes his testimony changed Updated: Feb-01-16 1:14 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A 22-year-old black man conceded Monday that his testimony has changed about where on his body he was shot by a sheriff's deputy and left paralyzed.
- Man accused of 'looking to kill a cop' charged with murder Updated: Feb-01-16 1:09 pm
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - A man whose ex-girlfriend told police he left her house "looking to kill a cop" was indicted Monday in last month's fatal shooting of an officer and could face the death penalty if convicted, prosecutors said.
- Father of man killed after stabbing police dog also charged Updated: Feb-01-16 12:49 pm
PITTSBURGH - The father of a man fatally shot by police after stabbing a police dog has been jailed on charges he assaulted another officer in the confrontation.
- The Latest: Deputy looked away from suspect as he followed Updated: Feb-01-16 12:29 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - The Latest on the trial of a young black man who was shot and paralyzed by a Florida Sheriff's deputy in 2013. (all times local):
- Caldwell City Councilman resigns to keep retirement benefits Updated: Feb-01-16 12:04 pm
CALDWELL, Idaho - A former Caldwell Police Chief and newly elected City Councilman has resigned from the council in the same month as being sworn in to keep his retirement benefits.
- Utah officials find no sign of human trafficking at Sundance Updated: Feb-01-16 11:58 am
PARK CITY, Utah - Utah law enforcement officials did not find any signs of human trafficking at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City amid a stepped-up focus on the crime.
- Law enforcement leaders examine new use-of-force principles Updated: Feb-01-16 9:59 am
WASHINGTON - Police across the United States are rethinking how they use force amid national outrage over questionable shootings and violent arrests.
- Man killed by police after attacking officers, homeowners Updated: Feb-01-16 9:01 am
SAGINAW, Texas - Police in a North Texas town say a man who was fatally shot by police after attacking two officers and several homeowners over the weekend had reportedly been running up and down a neighborhood street making growling sounds.
- Monitor to submit 1st-year plan for Cleveland police reform Updated: Feb-01-16 9:00 am
CLEVELAND - The city must devise a new use-of-force policy and have officers trained to implement it by the end of 2016, according to the first-year plan for a consent decree aimed at reforming the troubled Cleveland Police Department.
- FBI suspends worked accused of raping baby-sitter, 16 Updated: Feb-01-16 8:08 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - The FBI has suspended an information technology employee of its Chicago field office who's charged with raping a 16-year-old baby-sitter.
- Human remains being excavated in southern Harrison County Updated: Feb-01-16 8:06 am
MAUCKPORT, Indiana - Forensic anthropologists are working with a southern Indiana sheriff's department in excavating human remains.
- FBI shows video of Tuesday shooting of occupier Updated: Jan-29-16 1:21 am
BURNS, Oregon - The FBI released video Thursday of the shooting death of a spokesman for the armed occupiers of a wildlife refuge that appears to show the man reaching into his jacket before he fell into the snow. The FBI said the man had a loaded gun in his pocket.
- 9 Kansas City police officers suspended during investigation Updated: Jan-28-16 7:03 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Kansas City Police Department announced Thursday that two sergeants and seven detectives in its Crimes Against Children section have been suspended with pay while it investigates claims that some cases haven't been addressed in a timely manner.
- Audit finds DC police don't use firearms excessively Updated: Jan-28-16 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - As local officials and the Justice Department begin the process of reforming troubled police departments in Baltimore, Chicago and other cities where officer misconduct has provoked national outrage, police in the nation's capital are showing that sustained reductions in the use of unnecessary force are possible, the department's longtime independent monitor said Thursday.
- Councilman sparks outcry with musician, DJ registry proposal Updated: Jan-28-16 12:36 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A Philadelphia city councilman is hearing boos for a proposal that would seemingly give police the authority to approve which bands, rappers and DJs can perform in certain venues.
- Authorities identify car driver killed in crash with train Updated: Jan-28-16 11:41 am
GRASS LAKE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Authorities have released the name of a driver who died after an Amtrak train slammed into a car in southern Michigan.
- Woman seeks to buy triage kits for Hattiesburg officers Updated: Jan-28-16 10:50 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - After learning that two out of three law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty die from blood loss, a Marion County woman has set out to raise money to buy triage kits for local law enforcement.
- Ohio police officer charged with felony theft count Updated: Jan-28-16 9:59 am
CINCINNATI - A police officer has been charged with theft in office in southwestern Ohio.
- Victim's mental health an issue in Florida police killing Updated: Jan-28-16 9:20 am
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - The lawyer for a Florida sheriff's deputy charged with manslaughter in the 2013 shooting of a man carrying only an air rifle is seeking access to the dead man's mental health records.
- Santa Fe police say officer shoots person; few details known Updated: Jan-28-16 9:18 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Authorities say a Santa Fe police officer shot another person in a shooting that's being investigated by New Mexico State Police.
- Michigan survey finds 1,800 more untested rape-evidence kits Updated: Jan-28-16 8:39 am
LANSING, Michigan - Efforts to eliminate a backlog in rape-evidence tests and track down serial rapists have uncovered more than 1,800 additional untested rape kits at law enforcement agencies across the state, officials announced Thursday.