- Iowa law enforcement student accidentally shoots herself Updated: Aug-04-15 7:20 am
JOHNSTON, Iowa - An official says a student has accidentally shot herself in a leg during a drill at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy in Johnston.
- Police: Man killed in Muncie standoff aimed gun at officers Updated: Aug-04-15 7:08 am
MUNCIE, Indiana - Police say a man who barricaded himself in a garage in a standoff with Muncie police set the structure on fire before jumping from its second-story window and being fatally shot.
- Sheriff's office asks drug dealers to turn in their rivals Updated: Aug-04-15 7:04 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A Kentucky sheriff's office has posted a flyer on its Facebook page asking drug dealers to turn in their rivals.
- Powhatan County deputy fatally shoots man Updated: Aug-04-15 6:46 am
POWHATAN, Virginia - Virginia State Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man by a Powhatan County sheriff's deputy.
- EXCHANGE: Uniform store founded by police officer expands Updated: Aug-04-15 6:43 am
GALESBURG, Illinois - In 2004, a 24-year-old police officer in Galesburg started a police uniform store with a small section for medical uniforms.
- Hattiesburg's new police chief takes oath of office Updated: Aug-04-15 5:58 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg has a new police chief.
- Jersey City man convicted in cop shooting to be re-sentenced Updated: Aug-04-15 5:25 am
WILLINGBORO, New Jersey - An appeals court has upheld the convictions of a Jersey City man implicated in the shooting of a Willingboro police officer during a 2004 burglary, but ordered the defendant re-sentenced.
- Names released after police officer shoots, kills Nitro man Updated: Aug-04-15 5:08 am
NITRO, West Virginia - Police have released the name of a Nitro police officer who shot and killed a man after he says the man fired a gun at him.
- Police: Bicyclist killed in Ferrisburgh crash at fault Updated: Aug-04-15 3:31 am
FERRISBURGH, Vermont - A police investigation of a fatal car-bicycle crash in Ferrisburgh that killed a Charlotte man indicates the victim was at fault.
- Heitke to take command of Grand Forks Border Patrol sector Updated: Aug-04-15 2:04 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - The U.S. Border Patrol is getting a new chief for its Grand Forks sector that covers North Dakota and Minnesota.
- Man charged with assault in ramming of St. Louis police car Updated: Aug-04-15 1:55 am
ST. LOUIS - A Bellefontaine Neighbors man has been charged after St. Louis police say he intentionally rammed into a squad car.
- Sheriff's deputy pulls man from car before train hits it Updated: Aug-03-15 11:25 pm
SUNNYVALE, California - Caltrain officials say service has been restored but there are still some delays after a northbound train hit a car stopped on the train tracks minutes after the driver was pulled to safety.
- Lincoln County sheriff looking for possible arsonist Updated: Aug-03-15 10:53 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Firefighters in Libby responded to two fires minutes apart from each other, and investigators say it appears they were intentionally set.
- FBI: 3 devices found at New Mexico power plant not dangerous Updated: Aug-03-15 10:38 pm
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - The FBI says three "suspicious devices" found at the Four Corners Power Plant near Farmington are not dangerous.
- Firing of town's first black police chief leads to turmoil Updated: Aug-03-15 9:14 pm
POCOMOKE CITY, Maryland - Residents of a small town on Maryland's Eastern Shore vented their frustrations and concerns about the ouster of the town's first black police chief at a City Council meeting Monday that devolved into angry shouting.
- State police blast Cranston mayor for interference Updated: Aug-03-15 8:29 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - A scathing report by state police accuses the mayor of Cranston of interfering with the city's police department amid his run for governor last year by publicly supporting disciplinary action against a city police captain, then working behind the scenes to reduce the discipline and delay announcing it until after the election.
- Report: Man arrested, tried to carjack unmarked police car Updated: Aug-03-15 8:13 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Police in St. Petersburg say a man who tried to carjack an unmarked police car was surprised by two detectives, who arrested him after he tried to run.
- Prosecutor: Police officers unlawfully opened fire in death Updated: Aug-03-15 8:02 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A "paramilitary response" by police in New Mexico unnecessarily escalated an encounter last year that ended when two officers unlawfully opened fire and killed a homeless man despite signs that he wanted to surrender, a special prosecutor said Monday.
- Changes to Ohio police requirements clear state rules panel Updated: Aug-03-15 7:24 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio officers will soon be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent under several police training changes cleared by a state panel.
- Prosecutor: White officer panicked before shooting black man Updated: Aug-03-15 6:16 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A white Charlotte police officer on trial for the on-duty killing of a black man panicked and didn't identify himself or give any commands before shooting 12 times at the agitated man seeking help in an unfamiliar neighborhood after a car crash, a prosecutor said during opening statements Monday.
- Coroner: Ohio motorist shot by officer had fragrance bottle Updated: Aug-03-15 6:16 pm
CINCINNATI - A bottle held up by a motorist during a traffic stop before he was fatally shot by a University of Cincinnati police officer apparently contained a fragrance, not alcohol, a coroner said Monday.
- Former Saline County sheriff pleads guilty to wire fraud Updated: Aug-03-15 5:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Federal prosecutors have announced that the former Saline County sheriff has pleaded guilty to wire fraud for using money from his campaign account to pay for personal items and expenses charged to his sheriff's office credit card.
- Police officer breaks finger in struggle with suspect Updated: Aug-03-15 4:53 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Wilmington Police say an officer was injured during a struggle with a suspect.
- Wolf taps retired state police major to be commissioner Updated: Aug-03-15 4:25 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf on Monday nominated a retired state police major to lead the agency two months after the Senate scuttled his first choice for the commissioner's job.
- Man charged with trying to carjack undercover officers Updated: Aug-03-15 4:03 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - A Tampa Bay area man is facing charges after authorities say he tried to carjack an unmarked police car.