- NYPD participates in trending social media dance-off Updated: May-05-16 11:05 am
NEW YORK - Officers from the New York Police Department are shaking their booties in response to a challenge to participate in a trending social media dance-off.
- Georgia deputy killed in crash while pursuing vehicle Updated: May-05-16 10:33 am
MACON, Georgia - A Georgia sheriff's deputy was killed Thursday as officers tried to stop a suspicious vehicle, which crashed into his patrol vehicle, authorities said.
- NAACP calls for transparency after Delaware police shooting Updated: May-05-16 10:13 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Wilmington's NAACP chapter is calling on state officials to help shed more light on the fatal police shooting of a black man who was in his wheelchair.
- Law enforcement officials honor fallen Ohio police officers Updated: May-05-16 9:38 am
LONDON, Ohio - More than 700 Ohio peace officers who have died in the line of duty since 1823 are being honored at a ceremony in western Ohio.
- Fired Pennsylvania deputy targeted in DA's investigation Updated: May-05-16 9:20 am
YORK, Pennsylvania - A central Pennsylvania sheriff's deputy has been fired and is now the subject of an unspecified investigation by the district attorney's office.
- Officers shoot, wound suspect in southeast Kansas Updated: May-05-16 7:36 am
COLUMBUS, Kansas - Authorities say police have shot and wounded a suspect after a southeast Kansas chase.
- Special audit to probe backlog of rape evidence kits Updated: May-05-16 5:54 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's state auditor is looking into practices and procedures that led to a backlog of more than 5,400 untested evidence kits from sexual assaults and rapes at law enforcement agencies and evidence vaults across the state.
- Highlights of what passed, failed in legislative session Updated: May-05-16 12:18 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Despite Wednesday's adjournment deadline, Connecticut legislators planned to return, possibly early next week, to vote on a new budget for fiscal year 2017, budget-related bills and Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's criminal justice bill.
- Prospects diminish for criminal justice overhaul Updated: May-04-16 11:16 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - An Alaska lawmaker's efforts to halt the rapid growth of the state's prison population may not come to fruition.
- Sheriff's Dept: Mailbox keys, stolen mail in suspect's car Updated: May-04-16 8:45 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Homemade keys used by the U.S. Postal Service to break in to cluster mailboxes were found in the car of the man shot by Bernalillo County Sheriff's deputies in Albuquerque.
- 240 students from 6 Detroit schools to attend career expo Updated: May-04-16 8:44 pm
DETROIT - About 240 students from a half-dozen high schools in Detroit are expected to participate in the police department's annual Bridging the Gap youth career expo.
- Bill allowing armed police on campuses moves to governor Updated: May-04-16 8:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers have given final legislative approval to a bill that ultimately allows the state's community colleges to form special armed police forces to patrol the campuses.
- Judge hears objections to order sealing shooting video Updated: May-04-16 8:07 pm
PHOENIX - Releasing video of a man's fatal shooting death by a Mesa officer would be the same as releasing a police report, attorneys for the man's widow argued Wednesday.
- The Latest: Police kill unarmed driver fleeing traffic stop Updated: May-04-16 7:58 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The Latest on a police officer shooting during a Philadelphia traffic stop (all times local):
- Lake County escaped inmate tracked to Texas via cellphone Updated: May-04-16 7:51 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - Authorities tracked an escaped northwestern Indiana inmate and his girlfriend to Texas using GPS coordinates obtained through a cellphone the couple purchased following the getaway, a sheriff said Wednesday.
- Philadelphia police kill unarmed driver fleeing traffic stop Updated: May-04-16 7:30 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The police commissioner says he's "not making any judgments" pending an investigation into the shooting death of an unarmed driver by an officer during a traffic stop, one of two police shootings the same night.
- Mother of man shot by police appeals forced-settlement order Updated: May-04-16 7:30 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The mother of a black man who was shot and killed by police while holding a samurai sword gave notice Wednesday that she'll appeal a judge's order forcing her to accept a $900,000 settlement in a lawsuit over his death.
- New Orleans sheriff ships out inmates to cut jail violence Updated: May-04-16 7:19 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The sheriff who runs New Orleans' troubled jail says he's transferring hundreds of inmates to other jurisdictions.
- Prosecutors: Police detective forced woman perform sex act Updated: May-04-16 7:05 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Prosecutors say a Newark police detective forced a woman to perform a sexual act on him.
- 3 allegedly attack another teen in Dona Ana Detention Center Updated: May-04-16 6:54 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - The Dona Ana County Sheriff's Department is investigating an assault involving three detainees in the juvenile section of the county Detention Center.
- Judge upholds $23 million award for unarmed man deputy shot Updated: May-04-16 6:15 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - A federal judge Wednesday upheld a $23 million jury verdict awarded to a black man who was unarmed when he was shot and paralyzed by a Florida sheriff's deputy.
- Court: White Ohio officers' trial can't move to black suburb Updated: May-04-16 5:23 pm
CLEVELAND - An Ohio appeals court says five white Cleveland police supervisors accused of failing to stop a chase that ended with officers killing two black suspects can't face charges in the predominantly black suburb where the shooting happened.
- Salt Lake City police launch use-of-force data website Updated: May-04-16 5:22 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Amid a growing national conversation about police shootings, Salt Lake City police are launching a website to post open data about how often officers use their weapons.
- The Latest: Feds, including DEA, join Prince investigation Updated: May-04-16 3:56 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Latest on the death of music superstar Prince (all times local):
- DA: Officers justified in shooting man in Evans Updated: May-04-16 3:55 pm
EVANS, Colorado - Three officers who shot and killed an armed man in Evans won't face criminal charges.