- TV attack ads start fast in Pennsylvania Senate race Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Katie McGinty had barely finished her victory speech celebrating a 10-point Pennsylvania primary win for the nomination to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey before TV attack ads began flying in a general election contest that could tilt political control of the U.S. Senate.
- Kansas House approves changes in judicial selection process Updated: May-01-16 1:42 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal approved in the Kansas House would give the secretary of state a role in how the nine-member commission that names three finalists for each high court vacancy elects its members.
- The Latest: Kansas House delays debate on budget plan Updated: May-01-16 1:01 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature (all times local):
- Massachusetts Republicans elect 27 delegates for convention Updated: Apr-30-16 6:58 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Republicans on Saturday selected 27 of the state's 42 delegates to the GOP National Convention, where rivals of presidential candidate Donald Trump hope he will fail to get the required number of delegate-votes needed to win the nomination.
- The Latest: Massachusetts Republicans elect 27 delegates Updated: Apr-30-16 6:12 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on Massachusetts Republicans selecting delegates at nine caucuses (all times local):
- The Latest: Many Missouri Trump delegates aren't supporters Updated: Apr-30-16 5:42 pm
BALLWIN, Missouri - The Latest on Missouri's congressional district Republican conventions (all times local):
- Deal considers measures as deadline looms Updated: Apr-30-16 11:41 am
ATLANTA - Several pieces of legislation continue to wait on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, as the May 3 deadline looms for Deal to sign, veto or opt to not take action on the measures.
- Justice Dickson hailed for his civility, grace at retirement Updated: Apr-29-16 5:55 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Supreme Court Justice Brent Dickson ended his long tenure on the state's high court Friday with a retirement ceremony filled with praise from the court's other justices for his civility, grace and a legacy of nearly 900 legal opinions.
- West Point on track for first female dean Updated: Apr-29-16 5:05 pm
WEST POINT, New York - West Point is on track to get its first female dean.
- South Sudan forms new coalition government of national unity Updated: Apr-29-16 12:04 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's leaders have formed a transitional coalition government bringing together politicians from the government and the armed opposition who have been at war for two and a half years.
- Judge who presided over serial killer's trial leaves bench Updated: Apr-29-16 5:53 am
PHOENIX - Applications are being accepted to fill two Maricopa County Superior Court vacancies created by retirements of judges, including one who presided over the nearly seven-month-long trial of a serial killer.
- Senate confirms Obama's pick to be ambassador to Mexico Updated: Apr-28-16 8:35 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Thursday confirmed President Barack Obama's nominee to be U.S. ambassador to Mexico, clearing the way for the first woman to hold what is considered to be one of the country's most important diplomatic posts.
- Burr already scuttling new Obama court nomination Updated: Apr-28-16 7:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - President Barack Obama's latest pick Thursday to fill a longstanding vacancy in eastern North Carolina's federal courts already appears scuttled by Republican Sen. Richard Burr, who blames the president for not acting in good faith.
- UNLV law professor nominated for federal judge in Nevada Updated: Apr-28-16 6:02 pm
LAS VEGAS - A University of Nevada, Las Vegas, law professor has been nominated by President Barack Obama for a judgeship on the U.S. District Court in Nevada.
- Biden presses Iraq to not let political chaos upend gains Updated: Apr-28-16 5:39 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- GOP senator blocks vote on Army secretary over Guantanamo Updated: Apr-28-16 5:36 pm
WASHINGTON - The nomination of President Barack Obama's choice to serve as Army secretary remains blocked by a Kansas senator over administration efforts to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and transfer detainees to the U.S.
- 8 advance to interviews for Ohio's schools superintendent Updated: Apr-28-16 4:59 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Superintendents, consultants, academics, administrators and former education advisers to governors are among eight contenders chosen Thursday to advance to the interview stage in the search for a new leader for Ohio's public schools.
- Walker starts looking for Prosser replacement on high court Updated: Apr-28-16 4:39 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has started searching for someone to finish out most of Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser's term.
- Big Bush and Rubio donors shun Cruz and Kasich, Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - It seems like a logical pairing: Republican donors who despise Donald Trump, and two GOP presidential rivals sticking it out to keep him from the nomination.
- Polish president OKs new judge for top court as crisis grows Updated: Apr-28-16 11:05 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's president on Thursday swore in a new judge to the Constitutional Tribunal as political conflict over appointments to the court seeped down to local authority level.
- Prince's estate to be temporarily managed by trust company Updated: Apr-27-16 7:19 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota judge appointed a corporate trust company on Wednesday to temporarily oversee Prince's multimillion-dollar estate, saying the emergency appointment was necessary because the superstar musician doesn't appear to have a will and immediate decisions must be made about his business interests.
- Okla. senators thank Garland for bombing work, oppose vote Updated: Apr-27-16 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Oklahoma Republican Sens. Jim Inhofe and James Lankford say they have thanked Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland for his lead role investigating the 1995 bombing at the federal building in Oklahoma City.
- Trump, Clinton win Pennsylvania; Dems tap McGinty for Senate Updated: Apr-27-16 1:31 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton came away big winners in Pennsylvania's presidential primaries Tuesday, as Democrats backed their party establishment's choice for U.S. Senate and an indicted Philadelphia-area congressman lost his bid for a 12th term.
- Trump routs rivals in Northeast; Clinton carries 4 states Updated: Apr-27-16 12:43 am
PHILADELPHIA - In a front-runner's rout, Republican Donald Trump roared to victory Tuesday in five contests across the Northeast and confidently declared himself the GOP's "presumptive nominee." Hillary Clinton was dominant in four Democratic races and now is 90 percent of the way to the number she needs to claim her own nomination.
- Age gap shows in Clinton win helped by older voters Updated: Apr-27-16 12:28 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democrat Hillary Clinton got a winning boost Tuesday from older voters who turned out in larger numbers than the younger voting bloc that swamped rival Bernie Sanders with support in Connecticut's presidential primary, exit polls showed.