- Retiring Wyoming justice recalls Shepard case Updated: Dec-09-13 6:17 pm
- Judges question need for Gitmo genital searches Updated: Dec-09-13 1:03 pm
- Former congressional candidate running for judge Updated: Dec-06-13 4:09 am
- Kona mom's custody case goes to state high court Updated: Dec-05-13 4:55 pm
- 7 apply for Mingo County circuit judge's seat Updated: Dec-05-13 4:10 pm
- Judge considers drafting lawyer for murder case Updated: Dec-05-13 3:57 pm
- Aberdeen lawyer to be appointed SD circuit judge Updated: Dec-05-13 5:28 am
- Nixon names former aide to Mo. judicial commission Updated: Dec-05-13 5:02 am
- Utah officials defend judicial disclosure rules Updated: Dec-04-13 8:32 pm
- Kan. AG mulls seeking death penalty for 4 killings Updated: Dec-04-13 7:37 pm
- Court: Reduced crack sentences not retroactive Updated: Dec-04-13 2:35 pm
- Emergency manager: Time of essence in bankruptcy Updated: Dec-03-13 12:22 pm
- Christie taps chief of staff O'Dowd for AG's job Updated: Dec-02-13 7:03 pm
- Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain dies at 85 Updated: Dec-02-13 6:06 pm
- Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain dies at 85 Updated: Dec-02-13 6:01 pm
- New attack ad targets Landrieu on judge votes Updated: Dec-02-13 3:37 pm
- Kan. Gov. appoints new ag director Updated: Dec-02-13 1:28 pm
- Lawmakers boot Somalia prime minister from office Updated: Dec-02-13 12:50 pm
- Convicted Florida killer appeals death sentence Updated: Dec-02-13 11:38 am
- Hearings set on NH judicial nominations Updated: Dec-01-13 1:51 pm
- Farm bill, water projects key for North Dakota Updated: Dec-01-13 1:36 pm
- North Dakota administrative law judge retiring Updated: Nov-29-13 12:13 pm
- New judge in murder case against E. Oregon teen Updated: Nov-28-13 8:16 pm
- Lancaster County losing judge to retirement Updated: Nov-28-13 12:41 pm
- Nixon appoints circuit judge in Jackson County Updated: Nov-28-13 12:25 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Fifteen years later, people still recall vividly the brutal death of gay University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard following his attack by two young Laramie men.
WASHINGTON - Federal appeals court judges Monday questioned whether the government has gone too far by searching the genital areas of Guantanamo detainees who want to meet with their lawyers.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Former Democratic congressional nominee Bill Adkins has filed candidacy papers to run for circuit judge in Carroll, Grant and Owen counties.
HONOLULU - The state Supreme Court is considering a young Big Island mother's claim that she should have been appointed an attorney before she lost custody of her son.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Seven people have applied to fill the remaining term of the Mingo County Circuit Court seat formerly held by Michael Thornsbury.
PRESCOTT, Arizona - A judge is considering whether she can require an attorney to involuntarily represent a murder defendant whose death-penalty case has been stalled in Yavapai County Superior Court by a lack of a second defense lawyer.
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard says he will appoint Aberdeen lawyer Rick Sommers to be a state circuit judge in an area covering northeastern and north-central South Dakota.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon has named a former top aide to a commission that helps select judges in St. Louis County.
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah court officials are defending the state's financial disclosure requirements for state Supreme Court justices after a watchdog group criticized the state for failing to require transparency.
OSWEGO, Kansas - No decision has been made on whether to seek the death penalty for a 22-year-old man charged with capital murder in the deaths of a southeast Kansas woman and her three children, an assistant attorney general said Wednesday after a court hearing.
CINCINNATI - A 2010 law designed to eliminate harsher sentences for black offenders convicted of crack cocaine crimes should not apply retroactively, a federal appeals court ruled in a deeply divided decision that several dissenting judges wrote amounts to furthering racial discrimination.
DETROIT - Detroit's state-appointed emergency manager says he's pleased by a judge's ruling that the city is eligible to fix its finances in bankruptcy court.
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie is nominating his chief of staff to be the state's next attorney general.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain, a Democrat who appointed significant numbers of women and minorities to government jobs and strengthened the executive branch by removing legislators from state boards, died Monday. He was 85.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain, a Democrat who appointed many women and minorities to government jobs and strengthened the executive branch by removing lawmakers from state boards, died Monday in Jackson.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A conservative group is criticizing Democratic U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu in a new television ad for supporting the president's judicial picks.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback has named a deputy Kansas secretary of agriculture to lead the department.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Lawmakers in Somalia voted Monday to oust the country's prime minister and his Cabinet after 14 months in office.
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - A Jacksonville man who killed a Navy wife after answering her personal ad on Craigslist may end up changing the way death-penalty cases are defended in Florida.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The Executive Council has scheduled hearings on Gov. Maggie Hassan's four nominations to New Hampshire's Circuit Court.
WASHINGTON - A new farm bill and a bill authorizing billions of dollars in water projects are key for North Dakota as Congress wraps up its work for the year.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The only person to serve as director of North Dakota's Office of Administrative Hearings is stepping down.
BAKER CITY, Oregon - A new judge has been appointed to oversee the case of a 14-year-old boy accused of killing his foster father and the father's uncle last month in Eastern Oregon.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Judge Karen Flowers has announced her intention to retire from the Lancaster County District Court bench.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has appointed Deputy Probate Commissioner S. Margene Burnett to a circuit judgeship in Jackson County.