- New parties to play key role after Spanish local elections Updated: May-25-15 6:32 am
MADRID - Two new parties have carved out a kingmaker role in many Spanish cities and regions following local elections that dealt a serious blow to the governing conservative Popular Party.
- Analysis: Legislative candidates prep for August primaries Updated: May-24-15 5:18 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi politicians are gearing up for a busy summer campaign season. One legislative race worth watching is a Democratic primary that pits two incumbent state senators against each other up north. Another is a Gulf Coast Republican primary in which a senator with statewide ambitions is challenged by a former emergency director who handled local operations during Hurricane Katrina.
- Reversal of Great Migration? Counties seeing racial shifts Updated: May-23-15 3:14 pm
CONYERS, Georgia - Numerous counties in metro Atlanta have seen a large racial shift this century, akin to a reversal of the 20th century's Great Migration, when millions of African-Americans moved to the North.
- Swetman abandons supervisor re-election bid Updated: May-23-15 10:05 am
BILOXI, Mississippi - Windy Swetman III is pulling out of the Harrison County supervisor race and won't seek re-election.
- Cannady next tax assessor in Madison County Updated: May-22-15 4:50 pm
CANTON, Mississippi - Norman Cannady will be the next tax assessor in Madison County following an opponent's withdrawal from the August primary.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 8:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House approved a measure Thursday that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years in a bid to boost turnout.
- Democrats seek return to relevance in Tennessee politics Updated: May-21-15 5:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - For a party once accustomed to dominating state politics, the outlook for Tennessee Democrats is bleak.
- Ballot error could cause election redo in Idaho Updated: May-21-15 4:41 pm
CALDWELL, Idaho - An Idaho city may have to redo its school board election after officials found problems with ballots in one district.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 2:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years.
- Legislature OKs asking voters about dissolving City of Ely Updated: May-21-15 1:01 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers have approved a measure that would let voters in the tiny Nevada municipality of Ely to weigh in on possibly dissolving the city.
- Toledo mayor's widow announces run to finish his term Updated: May-20-15 9:57 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - The widow of Toledo's former mayor is announcing that she'll run in a special election to complete the remaining two years of his term.
- Ex-councilman wins crucial primary for Philadelphia mayor Updated: May-20-15 2:37 am
PHILADELPHIA - A veteran Philadelphia councilman who is likely to become the city's next mayor credited a coalition of union members, immigrants, public school parents and others for his easy victory in a crowded Democratic primary.
- Colorado Springs voters choose John Suthers as new mayor Updated: May-19-15 10:43 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Voters in Colorado Springs have elected former state Attorney General John Suthers in the city's runoff mayoral election.
- GOP primary for governor in Kentucky too close to call Updated: May-19-15 10:19 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's volatile Republican primary for governor ended in a virtual tie Tuesday night as only a handful of votes separated Matt Bevin and James Comer.
- Former state GOP chairman elected Jacksonville mayor Updated: May-19-15 10:04 pm
UNDATED - Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry defeated Democratic incumbent Mayor Alvin Brown on Tuesday with help from powerful friends like Sen. Marco Rubio and former Gov. Jeb Bush.
- Tuesday's primary features races for top court, Philly mayor Updated: May-18-15 3:52 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats and Republicans will choose their nominees for an unprecedented three open seats on the Pennsylvania's highest court in Tuesday's primary election. Also on the statewide ballot are Democratic contests for one open seat each on the Superior and Commonwealth courts, the state's intermediate appellate courts.
- Southern Indiana election board rejects provisional ballot Updated: May-18-15 4:08 am
SELLERSBURG, Indiana - Southern Indiana election officials have disqualified a provisional ballot that could have broken a tie in town council primacy race deadlocked at 29 votes each.
- Jacksonville mayoral race draws national political interest Updated: May-17-15 2:55 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - There's a reason why the Jacksonville mayoral race is drawing the attention of outsiders like former President Bill Clinton, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former Gov. Jeb Bush and U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio and it's about more than who wins on Tuesday.
- Northern California city lifts short-lived marijuana ban Updated: May-16-15 2:28 pm
CLEARLAKE, California - A small Northern California city has lifted its short-lived ban on marijuana cultivation after critics filed a lawsuit and collected enough signatures to challenge the prohibition with a ballot measure.
- 2 political candidates fatally shot in restive Mexico states Updated: May-15-15 4:59 pm
MEXICO CITY - A candidate for mayor was shot to death in western Mexico and a man running for city council was gunned downed in southern Mexico, bringing to at least three the number of candidates killed in the run-up to the June 7 midterm elections.
- Term-limit proposal 1 step away from St. Tammany ballot Updated: May-15-15 3:04 pm
COVINGTON, Louisiana - St. Tammany Parish voters could soon decide whether members of the Parish Council should face term limits in office.
- Time limits on ballot language challenges sent to governor Updated: May-15-15 2:32 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Legislature sent Gov. Jay Nixon a measure Friday that supporters say would make things easier for county clerks and prevent reprinting costs when ballot measures are changed by courts close to an election.
- Harrison GOP says state party interfered in mayor's race Updated: May-15-15 9:25 am
BILOXI, Mississippi - The Harrison County Republican Executive Committee is protesting what it calls the state party's interference in the Biloxi mayor's race.
- Kansas House delays vote on bill moving local elections Updated: May-14-15 10:04 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has postponed a vote on a measure that would move local elections to the fall of odd-numbered years.
- Republican loses appeal over disputed Kent County election Updated: May-14-15 4:19 pm
DOVER, Delaware - The state Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from the Republican candidate in last year's recorder of deeds race in Kent County.