- Weather service says EF-1 tornado struck north of Evansville Updated: Apr-28-16 12:31 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - The National Weather Service says an EF-1 tornado with peak winds of 100 mph carved a 7½-mile path north of Evansville.
- After fanfare, forecasters review talk of storm 'outbreak' Updated: Apr-28-16 12:09 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - After warning for days about violent storms that could rake the central U.S. with huge hail, high winds and strong tornadoes, forecasters will review whether the messages they sent were appropriate for severe weather that some considered a "bust" because the tornadoes that did develop were small.
- Brief tornado that struck Omaha rated EF1, service says Updated: Apr-28-16 6:41 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - The National Weather Service says a tornado that skipped along a few blocks of northwest Omaha was rated EF1, packing winds of 86 through 110 mph.
- Midwest sees 2nd day of storms but no major damage Updated: Apr-27-16 10:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Springtime storms lashed parts of the Midwest and South on Wednesday, but on a smaller scale than the night before when tornadoes in Oklahoma and Texas injured more than a dozen people and damaged homes.
- Latest on storms: 3 tornados in Illinois; no major damage Updated: Apr-27-16 10:34 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Latest on severe weather in the central and eastern U.S. (all times local):
- Powerful storms threaten Louisiana, parts of Deep South Updated: Apr-27-16 1:20 pm
ATLANTA - Parts of Louisiana were under a severe thunderstorm watch Wednesday as storms began firing up over parts of the Deep South.
- Tornado outbreak, 5 years later: Piecing lives back together Updated: Apr-27-16 11:57 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - On April 27, 2011, a series of tornadoes killed hundreds of people, injured thousands and reduced countless buildings to rubble across a swath of the U.S.
- Weather Service surveys damage from Kansas tornado Updated: Apr-25-16 1:39 pm
MUNDEN, Kansas - The National Weather Service is surveying damage from a northern Kansas tornado that left two people with minor injuries, damaged about 10 homes and destroyed a trailer.
- Storms push into Kansas; damage reported, at least 2 hurt Updated: Apr-25-16 1:14 am
MUNDEN, Kansas - Storms with high winds and hail have moved into central and northeast Kansas, prompting tornado warnings and injuring at least two people in Republic County.
- No serious damage reported after tornado in Nebraska Updated: Apr-24-16 11:50 pm
SUPERIOR, Nebraska - The National Weather Service says a tornado has touched down in south-central Nebraska, but there are no reports of injuries or serious damage.
- No damage reported after tornado in Minnesota Updated: Apr-24-16 11:31 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The National Weather Service confirms a tornado has touched down in southern Minnesota.
- Tornado watch issued for parts of northwestern Oklahoma Updated: Apr-24-16 4:27 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - Forecasters have issued a tornado watch for eight counties in northwestern Oklahoma.
- How early is too early for word that tornadoes may come? Updated: Apr-23-16 11:02 am
NORMAN, Oklahoma - Meteorologists are finding something much tougher to forecast than a stormy atmosphere: the human mind.
- Kokomo nonprofit opens new classroom building after tornado Updated: Apr-22-16 1:36 pm
KOKOMO, Indiana - A nonprofit serving people with disabilities has opened a new education and family engagement center that replaces one destroyed by a tornado in 2013.
- Southern Plains residents warned of potential tornadoes Updated: Apr-21-16 12:44 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - While Texans try to dry out from flooding rains, forecasters are telling people in the Southern Plains to review their tornado safety plans ahead of severe weather expected next week.
- Tornado damages barn in central Missouri Updated: Apr-20-16 7:46 am
LADDONIA, Missouri - A tornado has caused minimal damage near the central Missouri community of Laddonia.
- Small Uruguayan city surveys damage after deadly tornado Updated: Apr-16-16 7:17 pm
DOLORES, Uruguay - Residents of this small city in western Uruguay sifted through the remains of their homes and lives on Saturday, a day after a powerful tornado razed buildings, hurled cars into the air and left four people dead and dozens more injured.
- Winners announced in 2015 Indiana APME newspaper contest Updated: Apr-15-16 9:24 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Star has won the top reporting award and Thomas J. Russo got top honors for photography in the annual Indiana Associated Press Media Editors contest.
- Severe storms move over south Louisiana Updated: Apr-13-16 7:38 am
NEW ORLEANS - A strong thunderstorm is pushing across south Louisiana bringing with it strong winds, hail and the possibility of an isolated tornado.
- Illinois zoo hit by tornado ready to open after repairs Updated: Apr-12-16 10:52 pm
BELVIDERE, Illinois - A northern Illinois zoo hit by a tornado is set to open for the season after a year of work to repair $200,000 in damage.
- Vilonia to open first above-ground storm shelter Updated: Apr-12-16 9:58 am
VILONIA, Arkansas - The central Arkansas city of Vilonia is set to open its first above-ground storm shelter later this month, two years after a deadly tornado swept through the town.
- Lightning, possible static, blamed for fires in Arkansas Updated: Apr-11-16 5:05 pm
EL DORADO, Arkansas - Thunderstorms with high winds and frequent lightning rolled across Arkansas' southern counties on Monday, bowling over trees and starting a number of fires.
- Storms with large hail, rain possible in Oklahoma, Arkansas Updated: Apr-10-16 3:03 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Storms could dump large hail and heavy rain - and could even spawn tornadoes - as they move through parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri late Sunday and overnight, according to the National Weather Service.
- Oklahoma governor seeks assistance for March 30 storms Updated: Apr-08-16 7:07 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin is asking for federal disaster assistance for parts of the state affected by the tornadoes and storm-related damage last month.
- NWS confirms 7 tornadoes in Alabama Updated: Apr-08-16 8:28 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The National Weather Service says storm surveys show seven tornadoes skipped across central Alabama late Wednesday and early Thursday.