- Tennessee GOP chairman resigns state House seat Updated: May-28-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - State Rep. Ryan Haynes has resigned his seat in the House following his election as chairman of the Tennessee Republican Party.
- Rand Paul blames GOP hawks for rise of Islamic State group Updated: May-27-15 10:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul is blaming his own party for the rise of the Islamic State group.
- Democrats shelve Rauner plan to privatize business creation Updated: May-27-15 10:26 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - House Democrats have abandoned Gov. Bruce Rauner's idea to privatize the state's business-development agency but are moving ahead with Speaker Michael Madigan's plan to make the state's shrine to Abraham Lincoln a separate agency.
- Bond referenda on agenda as McCrory, Pope meet GOP lawmakers Updated: May-27-15 7:53 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory pitched bond referenda once again Wednesday to fellow Republicans in charge of the General Assembly.
- GOP candidate Marco Rubio to make 'Pawn Stars' stop in Vegas Updated: May-27-15 7:24 pm
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio is expected to spend his 44th birthday paying a campaign visit to the most famous pawn shop in Las Vegas.
- Senate Democrats want NYC's rent rules extended for 2 years Updated: May-27-15 4:47 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrats in the state Senate on Wednesday proposed extending New York City's rent regulations for two more years and limiting how much a landlord can increase the rent when a rent-stabilized unit becomes vacant.
- Health law court case winner could be political loser Updated: May-27-15 2:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The party that wins the impending Supreme Court decision on President Barack Obama's health care law could be the political loser.
- US Senator Graham in Israel ahead of likely presidential bid Updated: May-27-15 2:00 pm
JERUSALEM - U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham says allowing the United Nations to decide the Israeli-Palestinian peace process is a "mistake."
- Kansas Senate rejects GOP member's attempt to kill tax plan Updated: May-27-15 1:03 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has started a debate over a bill raising taxes to close a projected budget shortfall by rejecting a conservative Republican member's attempt to kill the measure.
- Walker asks for supporters' opinions on national issues Updated: May-27-15 11:58 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - In another sign of his likely presidential campaign, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Wednesday asked his supporters to fill out a survey seeking their opinions on a variety of national issues and foreign policy.
- Third grade field trip canceled after legal threats Updated: May-27-15 11:57 am
GLENDIVE, Montana - Third-graders in eastern Montana were unable to go on a field trip to a local creationist museum after an advocacy group called the event a violation of the constitutional separation of church and state.
- Chris Christie continues to criticize Patriot Act opponents Updated: May-27-15 10:53 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie says lawmakers currently debating the fate of the Patriot Act lack his real-world experience and again made the case that the legislation should be renewed in its current form.
- Fiorina speaking to Republicans in South Carolina Updated: May-27-15 10:22 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Carly Fiorina is making a few stops in early-voting South Carolina this week.
- Romanian mayor arrested for bribes, quits ruling party Updated: May-27-15 6:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A former Romanian mayor who once dressed in a Nazi uniform at a fashion show has quit the ruling party weeks after he was arrested and charged with taking bribes.
- Ada County GOP offers choices to replace county sheriff Updated: May-27-15 5:07 am
BOISE, Idaho - The Ada County Republican Central Committee has selected its first and second choices to replace Sheriff Gary Raney who is resigning at the end of June.
- Conservative group running pro-Grayson, anti-Murphy ad Updated: May-27-15 3:08 am
- Democrats show priorities as they advance 2016 budget plan Updated: May-26-15 8:30 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A plan Illinois Democrats are proposing as an alternative to the steep cuts sought by Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner would keep budget levels flat for local governments and Medicaid and only modestly reduce higher education assistance, committee leaders said Tuesday.
- McConnell: 2016 goal is to maintain, not grow, GOP majority Updated: May-26-15 5:27 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Mitch McConnell said Tuesday the chances are "pretty slim" that Republicans will grow their majority in the U.S. Senate in 2016, saying his goal is to preserve the majority for what he hopes will be a Republican president.
- Cuccinelli settles lawsuit against conservative PAC Updated: May-26-15 4:48 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli has won a legal victory against a conservative political action committee he accused of duping political donors.
- First count shows Bouterse party gets majority in Suriname Updated: May-26-15 4:42 pm
PARAMARIBO, Suriname - The party of former military dictator Desi Bouterse obtained the majority of Parliament seats in the South American country of Suriname, according to preliminary results released Tuesday.
- Panel reviews GOP-backed bill overhauling public unions Updated: May-26-15 2:59 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Lawmakers on Tuesday reviewed a public employee collective bargaining bill that was originally dubbed "union Armageddon" and still has critics from the labor movement in spite of significant amendments.
- Correction: Koch Brothers-Utah Chapter story Updated: May-26-15 1:29 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - In a story May 24 about a new chapter of a political advocacy group linked to the Koch brothers, The Associated Press reported erroneously the age of group director Evelyn Everton. She is 38, not 22.
- Mary Landrieu, aide joining Washington lobbying firm Updated: May-26-15 1:23 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Former U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu is joining a Washington lobbying firm.
- Group says Turkish court rules against president's palace Updated: May-26-15 1:21 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A pressure group says Turkey's top administrative court has confirmed in a ruling that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's 1,150-room mega-palace was illegally constructed on protected land.
- Seattle plans for protected bike lanes under Monorail Updated: May-26-15 6:15 am
SEATTLE - Seattle cyclists could be riding in their own protected lane on Fifth Avenue after advocacy groups have begun pushing the plan.