- The Latest: Kansas House plan hinders hospital privatization Updated: Feb-10-16 3:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas House's debate on budget legislation (all times local):
- GOP state lawmaker enters 4th Congressional District race Updated: Feb-10-16 3:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Republican state representative from Bossier City is running for Louisiana's congressional seat representing northwest Louisiana.
- Latest: US House backs bill requiring EPA notify about lead Updated: Feb-10-16 3:09 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on developments in the lead contamination of Flint's water (all times local):
- Groups gather at Capitol to push for criminal justice reform Updated: Feb-10-16 3:05 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Civil rights groups are making their case at the Capitol for legislation that would reform Iowa's criminal justice system, though they also recognize the challenges of passing such measures during the current legislative session.
- Ryan, Republicans grapple with alternative to Obama budget Updated: Feb-10-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Meet the new boss. Confronting the same tea party challenges as the old boss.
- The Latest: Rubio campaign manager predicts long GOP fight Updated: Feb-10-16 1:57 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- Stutzman attacks GOP foe Young over US Senate ballot Updated: Feb-10-16 12:38 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Republican Senate candidate Marlin Stutzman is ridiculing his Indiana primary opponent, accusing fellow congressman Todd Young of failing to meet ballot requirements.
- Events to mark anniversary of deaths of 3 Muslim students Updated: Feb-10-16 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - A Muslim advocacy group is urging people to participate in three events honoring three college students who were shot to death in Chapel Hill last year.
- Donald Trump brings campaign back to South Carolina Updated: Feb-10-16 3:42 am
CLEMSON, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump is returning to South Carolina to campaign in advance of next week's GOP presidential primary.
- For Donald Trump, for one night, there was so much winning. Updated: Feb-10-16 3:36 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - For Donald Trump, for one night, there was so much winning.
- Exit of California Senate candidate could help ailing GOP Updated: Feb-09-16 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The sudden withdrawal of one of the Republican candidates in California's U.S. Senate race could help a party that's been battered in recent statewide elections, although Democrats remain favorites to hold the seat now occupied by Sen. Barbara Boxer.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- Nevada Democrats plan Hillary, Bernie town hall in Las Vegas Updated: Feb-09-16 5:46 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada state Democrats say presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will take part in a town hall event in Las Vegas on Feb. 18, two days before the state party caucus.
- Obama seeks cybersecurity boost to replace 'ancient' tech Updated: Feb-09-16 5:42 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Tuesday he is asking Congress for $3.1 billion to update the government's archaic computer systems to protect them from cyberattacks as part of a new, centralized effort to boost cybersecurity.
- Senator says she changed mind, will OK governor's court pick Updated: Feb-09-16 5:22 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Democratic senator who broke from her party to support Republicans' pick for the Virginia Supreme Court says she has changed her mind.
- NY Senate Republicans seek greater agricultural research Updated: Feb-09-16 4:30 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican lawmakers in the New York state Senate say they want to increase spending on agricultural research and do more to support farms.
- Assembly OKs bill making spitting on prosecutors felony Updated: Feb-09-16 4:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Spitting at prosecutors would carry a felony charge under a bill the Wisconsin Assembly has approved.
- The Latest: Top Indiana lawmakers backing Holcomb selection Updated: Feb-09-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's pick to become the state's new lieutenant governor (all times local):
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:54 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:39 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden asks court to dismiss gun lawsuit Updated: Feb-09-16 4:37 am
ATLANTA - A lawyer for the Atlanta Botanical Garden has asked Georgia's highest court to reject a lawsuit that argues that the garden can't order people carrying guns to leave the property if they have valid licenses to carry weapons.
- Virginia Senate OKs bill nixing party's 'loyalty oaths' Updated: Feb-09-16 3:15 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A bill that's making its way through Virginia's General Assembly would prevent political parties from requiring voters to sign a party affiliation statement in a presidential primary.
- Michael Douglas among film stars honored by AARP Updated: Feb-09-16 3:03 am
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Michael Douglas was initially confused when he was told that he was being honored with a career achievement honor by the AARP Movies for Grownups Awards.
- Alaska House to focus on budget-related bills Updated: Feb-08-16 10:14 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Alaska House passed a resolution Monday aimed at focusing committee work on the state's budget deficit, while minority Democrats pushed for a more inclusive process to find budget solutions.
- Inslee blasts Senate Republicans for Cabinet ouster Updated: Feb-08-16 8:10 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee on Monday blasted Senate Republicans for ousting the head of the Department of Transportation, calling the surprise vote on the Senate floor "an election-year stunt."