- House Dem Kildee supports Obama's Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-30-15 12:31 pm
WASHINGTON - A House Democrat who represents an American held hostage in Iran says he supports the Iran nuclear deal.
- New Mexico Dems eye changes after historic losses in 2014 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:27 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Democrats are hoping a new executive director and chairwoman will steer the once-dominate party back into power after historic losses in 2014.
- Democrats pick 5th District Assembly candidates Updated: Jul-30-15 11:10 am
BELLMAWR, New Jersey - Democratic leaders have picked two candidates to run for Assembly in southern New Jersey's 5th Legislative District.
- State taxpayers pay legal costs of pro-Vitter super PAC Updated: Jul-30-15 4:11 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana taxpayers have reimbursed more than $69,000 in legal fees paid by a super PAC supporting Republican U.S. David Vitter for governor.
- Kasich is 5th candidate who plans to attend Michigan event Updated: Jul-30-15 4:07 am
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - Ohio Gov. John Kasich is scheduled to speak at a Republican gathering in Michigan in September.
- GOP leaders rally around Kirk after fundraiser's criticism Updated: Jul-29-15 10:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Republicans rallied around first-term U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk on Wednesday after a top fundraiser briefly suggested that the moderate elected to Barack Obama's former seat should abandon his re-election bid due to a recent series of public gaffes.
- Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tissue research Updated: Jul-29-15 9:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Under fire for its role in providing fetal tissue for research, Planned Parenthood asked the government's top health scientists Wednesday to convene a panel of independent experts to study the issues surrounding the little-known branch of medicine.
- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- House approves bill to make it easier to fire VA workers Updated: Jul-29-15 6:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Wednesday approved a bill making it easier to fire or demote hundreds of thousands of employees at the Department of Veterans Affairs, as lawmakers expressed continued frustration at the slow pace of change at the beleaguered agency.
- Sen. Cruz takes on more traditional GOP target: the IRS Updated: Jul-29-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - After a week of fighting with other Republicans, Sen. Ted Cruz took on a more traditional GOP target Wednesday: the IRS.
- GOP legislators block audit of Kansas foster care system Updated: Jul-29-15 5:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican legislators on Wednesday blocked a state audit of Kansas' foster care system even though several acknowledged that they have ongoing concerns about how well it protects abused and neglected children.
- Gov's PAC returning money linked to oil company Updated: Jul-29-15 4:55 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's political action committee is returning a $25,000 donation from a company with ties to Angola's state-owned oil company after receiving questions from The Associated Press about whether the contribution was legal.
- GOP lawmakers want Washington to look at Planned Parenthood Updated: Jul-29-15 4:12 pm
SEATTLE - Thirty-four Republican state legislators have signed a letter asking Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson to investigate Planned Parenthood over allegations of selling fetal tissue.
- On Capitol Hill, GOP fighting itself instead of Democrats Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 pm
WASHINGTON - When Republicans took full control of Congress this year, they were determined to show voters they could govern responsibly. Instead they've been tearing each other apart in extraordinarily public displays, delighting Democrats and giving some in the GOP heartburn as the party aims for the White House in 2016.
- Boehner calls challenge by Republican 'no big deal' Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner brushed aside a challenge to his tenure on Wednesday as the work of a lone dissident Republican amounting to "no big deal."
- House GOP asks to participate in debate over LePage vetoes Updated: Jul-29-15 2:27 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republicans in Maine's House of Representatives say they want their voices to be heard when the state supreme court meets to hear arguments over whether 65 bills became law without Gov. Paul LePage's signature.
- Arkansas Democrats consider renaming annual fundraiser Updated: Jul-29-15 1:17 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Democrats are weighing whether they should rename an annual fundraiser that's named after two former U.S. presidents whom historians say had owned hundreds of slaves.
- Tenn. Democratic Party head wants review of Jackson role Updated: Jul-29-15 12:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The chairwoman of the Tennessee Democratic Party wants to begin a discussion about whether to keep naming an annual fundraiser after President Andrew Jackson.
- Former party finance director named to Democrats' post Updated: Jul-29-15 10:52 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The former finance director of the Nebraska Democratic Party has been named the party's new executive director.
- GOP runoff next month for vacated SC House District 106 seat Updated: Jul-29-15 10:02 am
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - Two Republicans meet in a runoff next month for the House District 106 seat on the Grand Strand vacated earlier this year.
- GOP backs opponent of Republican incumbent attorney general Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Republican Party of Louisiana is backing former Congressman Jeff Landry for the post of state's attorney general, announcing Tuesday that it was snubbing GOP incumbent Buddy Caldwell.
- US agency denies request for Fiat Chrysler investigation Updated: Jul-28-15 5:21 pm
DETROIT - U.S. auto safety regulators have rejected a request from an advocacy group to investigate power system failures in almost 5 million Fiat Chrysler vehicles that potentially could cause stalling and other problems.
- Scott Walker orders American on cheesesteaks, avoiding gaffe Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The governor of the nation's top cheese-producing state visited the capital of cheesesteaks on Tuesday and ordered two topped with American, skipping the customary Cheez Whiz but avoiding the blunder of a former presidential candidate who was ridiculed for wanting his with Swiss.
- Group launches campaign to strengthen Clean Election law Updated: Jul-28-15 4:07 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A non-partisan group launched a campaign Tuesday to sway voters to say "yes" to a November ballot issue they say will level the playing field between publicly and privately financed candidates.
- GOP: Still no deal on Clinton testimony to Benghazi panel Updated: Jul-28-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans on the House committee investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, said Tuesday that there is no agreement with Hillary Rodham Clinton over her possible appearance before the panel, despite the State Department's pledge to produce 5,000 new pages of documents.