- With Matheson out, Utah Dems scramble for 2014 Updated: Dec-18-13 7:57 pm
- New Mexico campaign spending limits overturned Updated: Dec-18-13 7:35 pm
- Gov: Retail executive Wexner to help market Ohio Updated: Dec-18-13 7:21 pm
- Wis. Democrats say DNR must do more to stop CWD Updated: Dec-18-13 7:08 pm
- As GOP rival concedes, Va's AG-elect makes debut Updated: Dec-18-13 6:28 pm
- Senate GOP leader assails Dems on defense bill Updated: Dec-18-13 5:36 pm
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Dec-18-13 4:19 pm
- Va. GOP candidate for AG concedes amid recount Updated: Dec-18-13 3:40 pm
- Nigeria: Ruling party loses majority to defections Updated: Dec-18-13 2:47 pm
- SD GOP activist must pay $500 over subpoenas Updated: Dec-18-13 8:56 am
- GOP's Baker set to release homeless family plan Updated: Dec-18-13 7:11 am
- Group asking Deal to accept federal Medicaid money Updated: Dec-18-13 4:49 am
- GOP panel wants Patterson to quit amid rape furor Updated: Dec-18-13 1:14 am
- Private contract to scrub Medicaid rolls ending Updated: Dec-17-13 8:37 pm
- Utah Democrat Rep. Matheson won't seek 8th term Updated: Dec-17-13 7:56 pm
- Democrats: Michigan GOP tolerates anti-gay bias Updated: Dec-17-13 7:40 pm
- County GOP sues Houston over same-sex benefits Updated: Dec-17-13 6:13 pm
- NY think tank calls environmental reviews costly Updated: Dec-17-13 11:39 am
- Stockman's US House seat draws dozen GOP hopefuls Updated: Dec-17-13 11:20 am
- Budget deal splits GOP leaders in House, Senate Updated: Dec-17-13 11:17 am
- Thai ex-PM re-elected as opposition party chief Updated: Dec-17-13 7:10 am
- Can this marriage be saved? GOP, hard-right groups Updated: Dec-16-13 6:59 pm
- GOP governor candidate demands MNsure chief resign Updated: Dec-16-13 4:52 pm
- NC GOP asks lawmaker to apologize for Nazi tweet Updated: Dec-16-13 3:45 pm
- AEA, Drummond, Creeks among big 2014 donors Updated: Dec-16-13 12:41 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Democrats must quickly find a candidate to replace U.S. Rep. Jim Matheson after his surprising announcement that he won't seek re-election next year.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico will be prohibited from imposing limitations on certain campaign contributions and spending under a ruling filed Wednesday by a federal appeals court.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich is turning to a retail executive of a company who owns a brand best known for its undergarments in an effort to help dress up the state.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democrats on the state Assembly's natural resources committee demanded Wednesday that state wildlife officials step up the fight against chronic wasting disease, tearing the scab off a bitter decade-old debate over how best to handle the fatal brain ailment.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Republican Mark Obenshain conceded the race for Virginia attorney general Wednesday as Democrat Mark Herring built an insurmountable lead in a recount, giving Democrats a top-of-the ticket sweep for the first time since 1989.
WASHINGTON - Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that his Democratic counterpart is barring any GOP changes to pending defense legislation because he "can't stomach a vote on Iran sanctions."
Green Bay Press Gazette, Dec. 17
RICHMOND, Virginia - Republican Mark Obenshain has conceded the race for Virginia attorney general as Democrat Mark Herring built an insurmountable lead in a recount.
LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigeria's faction-ridden ruling party lost its majority in the House of Representatives as 37 legislators defected to a new opposition coalition Wednesday, in a major blow to President Goodluck Jonathan before 2015 elections.
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A South Dakota Republican activist convicted of breaking state election law has been ordered to pay $500 to two people by a judge who ruled that Daniel Willard was being vindictive when he tried to force them to testify.
BOSTON - Massachusetts Republican candidate for governor Charlie Baker was set to unveil a plan on Wednesday that he said would help eliminate the policy of placing homeless families in hotels and motels during his first year in office.
ATLANTA - The Georgia Federation of Democratic Women is asking Gov. Nathan Deal to accept federal funding to expand the state's Medicaid program.
BOISE, Idaho - Republican officials from Boise voted Tuesday to urge Rep. Mark Patterson to resign, saying they have "no confidence" in his ability to serve his district or Idaho after disclosure of his guilty plea in a 1974 rape case.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The contract between Gov. Pat Quinn and a company scrubbing the state's Medicaid rolls of ineligible clients will end April 30, officials said Tuesday. It shifts the work to state employees in an agreement with union officials that Republicans decried as a "backroom deal."
SALT LAKE CITY - U.S. Rep. Jim Matheson, Utah's only Democrat in Congress, announced Tuesday that he will not seek re-election, easing the way for Republicans to pick up another House seat in a solidly red state.
FERNDALE, Michigan - The chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee has joined leading state Democrats in condemning Michigan Republicans for their handling of anti-gay remarks by a GOP National Committee member and their failure to extend civil rights to gays.
HOUSTON - Harris County Republicans have sued the city of Houston over its extension of health and life insurance benefits last month to legally married same-sex spouses of city employees.
ALBANY, New York - The Empire Center for Public Policy says New York's process for environmental reviews has dragged for years on several valuable projects and should be overhauled with fixed timetables.
WASHINGTON - Senate Republican leaders are criticizing a bipartisan budget deal, parting ways with their House counterparts who shepherded the measure through that chamber last week.
BANGKOK - Thailand's opposition Democrat Party re-elected former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as its leader Tuesday ahead of a crucial decision over whether to boycott upcoming elections.
WASHINGTON - Republican leaders and several hard-right groups are displaying the classic signs of a political divorce, including bitter name-calling and reprisals against one another.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A Republican candidate for governor says the executive director of Minnesota's health insurance exchange should resign.
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The North Carolina Republican Party chairman says GOP state Sen. Bob Rucho should apologize for a Twitter comment in which he compared the Affordable Care Act with Nazis and terrorists.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The state teachers' organization, a mining company and an Indian tribe that operates casinos are among the top campaign contributions in Alabama for next year's elections.