- House Republicans could support Ryan for speaker Updated: Oct-11-15 9:09 pm
WASHINGTON - If rebel conservatives and establishment Republicans in the House can agree on anything, it's likely supporting Paul Ryan for speaker.
- Socialists hold off right-wing party to win Vienna vote Updated: Oct-11-15 5:25 pm
VIENNA - The Socialist party held on to Vienna city hall in a municipal election on Sunday, fighting off a challenge from a right-wing populist party campaigning on Austrian concerns over mass migration.
- Democrats plan new push for ethics commission over GEAR UP Updated: Oct-11-15 12:55 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Democratic lawmakers in South Dakota plan to renew their push for a state ethics commission as questions mount about the handling of public funds at an educational cooperative after an apparent murder-suicide involving two employees.
- Super PAC spends $1M but payoff is uncertain Updated: Oct-11-15 11:02 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - An outside political group has wagered more than $1 million to help Democrats in three contested Assembly races, splashing New Jersey TV waves with doom-and-gloom images of Atlantic City, but it's unclear whether the bet will pay off.
- Nepal elects Communist party leader new prime minister Updated: Oct-11-15 10:23 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal's parliament elected Communist party leader Khadga Prasad Oli the new prime minister Sunday, thrusting him into the center of daunting challenges, from ethnic protests over the new constitution that has also upset vital neighbor India to rebuilding from April's devastating earthquake.
- With Hindu party leading India, beef grows more political Updated: Oct-11-15 8:43 am
NEW DELHI - The legislator was full of outrage when he arrived in the north Indian village days after the killing of a Muslim farmer who was rumored to have slaughtered cows. A Hindu mob had smashed through the heavy wooden door to the man's home, then beat him to death with his wife's sewing machine.
- McCain continues to tout Graham in New Hampshire Updated: Oct-11-15 8:21 am
HUDSON, New Hampshire - John McCain and Lindsey Graham are wrapping up another trip to New Hampshire to boost Graham's presidential bid with a house party at the home of New Hampshire House Speaker Shawn Jasper.
- Flush with cash, Dems first on TV in Supreme Court campaign Updated: Oct-10-15 9:36 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Campaign ads in the multimillion-dollar race for three open seats on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court won't get any more polite than these.
- Petition drive assures House vote to revive Ex-Im Bank Updated: Oct-09-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Several dozen Republicans teamed up with Democrats Friday to assure a House vote on reviving the U.S. Export-Import Bank, giving the effort to save the bank new life more than three months after its charter lapsed.
- Ex-Sen. Bruno giving leftover $1.4M to NY Senate GOP Updated: Oct-09-15 3:32 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York Senate's former longtime majority leader says he's giving $1.4 million left in campaign funds to the Senate Republican Campaign Committee and $100,000 to a scholarship fund.
- Wisconsin Assembly speaker, others endorse Rubio Updated: Oct-09-15 3:31 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin state Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and 19 other Republican state lawmakers are endorsing Florida Sen. Marco Rubio for president.
- Johnson says Ryan is only Republican who can unify House Updated: Oct-09-15 3:09 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan is the only Republican who can unify the GOP in a fractured House, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson said Friday.
- Christie and wife earned nearly $1 million in 2014 Updated: Oct-09-15 2:17 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Republican presidential hopeful Chris Christie and his wife reported nearly $1 million in income last year, according to tax returns released by the New Jersey governor's office Friday.
- Analysis: GOP is party desperately in search of a leader Updated: Oct-09-15 2:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The GOP is a party in chaos, desperately in search of a leader.
- Rep. Ellmers addresses House GOP on email rumors Updated: Oct-09-15 2:07 pm
WASHINGTON - A North Carolina congresswoman thanked fellow Republicans for their support Friday after many received incendiary emails alleging an affair between her and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, according to two Republicans in the closed-door meeting.
- NYC council speaker to advocate for Latinos at Dem debate Updated: Oct-09-15 1:50 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito is traveling to the Democratic debate next week at the behest of a major Latino political group.
- GOP picks successor to man who quit race after book fallout Updated: Oct-09-15 11:54 am
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - Republicans in northern New Jersey have selected someone to succeed their Assembly candidate who dropped out of the campaign after his book of rants about gays, Asians and others surfaced.
- Donald Trump says Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed Updated: Oct-09-15 7:43 am
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Thursday that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed for leaving his post in Afghanistan.
- GOP's Kasich plans presidential campaign tour in NH, Vermont Updated: Oct-09-15 6:51 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is planning several stops across New Hampshire and Vermont as he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination.
- Polish FM: no coalition of main parties after Oct.25 vote Updated: Oct-09-15 6:23 am
WARSAW, Poland - A leading member of the ruling Civic Platform party says it will not enter a coalition with the major opposition force after the Oct. 25 general elections.
- GOP lawmaker introduces high-capacity well bill Updated: Oct-08-15 9:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Republican lawmaker introduced a bill Thursday that would overhaul Wisconsin's high-capacity well regulations.
- AP source: Rubio raises $6M over last 3 months Updated: Oct-08-15 8:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Marco Rubio has raised roughly $6 million over the last three months for his Republican presidential bid.
- Carson says armed Jews would have 'diminished' Holocaust Updated: Oct-08-15 7:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggests the Holocaust would have been "greatly diminished" if German Jews had been armed with guns.
- Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without state budget Updated: Oct-08-15 6:09 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois will run out of money to operate in a matter of months if lawmakers can't agree on a state budget, top Democrats warned Thursday, but they reiterated they won't bow to Gov. Bruce Rauner's demands to weaken public-worker unions for a deal.
- GOP head calls 2-term councilor 'career politician' Updated: Oct-08-15 4:19 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's Republican Party chairwoman is calling Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Colin Van Ostern a "career politician with few real life accomplishments."