- Study: Tax breaks to lure firms to Camden could cost state Updated: May-05-15 12:13 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The tax credits the state is using to attract businesses to Camden could end up costing more than they bring in even if the companies fulfill their minimum obligations, an advocacy group warned.
- GOP running mates test messages before statewide audience Updated: May-04-15 9:58 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - The running mates in Kentucky's contentious Republican primary for governor tested their candidates' messages before a statewide television audience Monday night in the first of two pivotal debates ahead of the May 19 election.
- Democrats reject Colorado GOP fetal homicide bill Updated: May-04-15 8:20 pm
DENVER - Democrats concerned about interference on abortion rights on Monday rejected a Republican measure to create a new crime of fetal homicide, legislation that was crafted in response to an attack last month on a pregnant woman in Longmont.
- Republicans working to get Iran legislation moving again Updated: May-04-15 6:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans labored Monday to salvage bipartisan legislation granting lawmakers the right to review or even reject any agreement the Obama administration makes to ease sanctions on Iran in exchange for concessions on nuclear research and development.
- GOP bill would require civics test to graduate high school Updated: May-04-15 6:40 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin students would have to pass the civics portion of the U.S. citizenship test to graduate from high school under a new Republican bill moving through the Legislature despite educators' misgivings.
- Kentucky GOP adding to its rolls but Democrats hold majority Updated: May-04-15 5:49 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - As much as they publicly despise him, Kentucky Republicans will likely miss Democratic President Barack Obama when he leaves office in 2017.
- More executive turnover at MNsure as chief plans to resign Updated: May-04-15 5:27 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - MNsure's chief executive announced his resignation Monday, paving the way for a third leadership shakeup at the beleaguered agency in less than two years.
- Walker promotes tax cuts before Michigan vote Updated: May-04-15 4:46 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Scott Walker on Monday touted tax cuts to boost the U.S. economy, a day before Michigan voters decide the fate of tax hikes to improve deteriorating road and bridge infrastructure.
- GOP field grows: Longshots Fiorina, Carson launch their bids Updated: May-04-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson joined the rapidly expanding 2016 Republican presidential class on Monday, casting themselves as political outsiders in underdog campaigns, eager to challenge the elite of both parties.
- Jean-Marie Le Pen suspended from French far-right party Updated: May-04-15 4:20 pm
PARIS - French far-right leader Jean-Marie Le Pen was suspended Monday from the National Front party he built into a political force over four decades after a series of controversial remarks about Jews and Nazis put him on the fast track to disgrace.
- GOP's renewed push for right-to-work law faces uphill battle Updated: May-04-15 4:07 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Republicans are making another push to pass right-to-work legislation, but even Gov. Paul LePage acknowledged Monday that the effort faces tough odds.
- Anti-Cuban embargo movement picks up steam in US Updated: May-04-15 4:04 pm
HAVANA - Big businesses and politicians from both sides of the ideological spectrum are putting their muscle into new Washington lobbying efforts to end the U.S. embargo on Cuba as the two countries press ahead to re-establish diplomatic relations.
- Oklahoma House Democrats re-elect Inman as minority leader Updated: May-04-15 3:43 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma House Democrats have re-elected Rep. Scott Inman of Del City to serve a fourth term as minority leader.
- Israeli foreign minister steps down to join opposition Updated: May-04-15 2:28 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's foreign minister dealt a blow to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's effort to build a coalition by announcing Monday he is stepping down and that his secular, nationalist party is joining the opposition.
- Dayton warms to parts of House GOP tax plan, cool to most Updated: May-04-15 2:20 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - It's too soon to call it a budget breakthrough, but Gov. Mark Dayton has offered an opening to a compromise with House Republicans on taxes.
- Ex-CIA official: GOP distorted agency analysis of Benghazi Updated: May-04-15 12:04 pm
WASHINGTON - A former CIA deputy director says Republicans repeatedly distorted the agency's analysis of the Benghazi attack in 2012 that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans. He also says U.S. intelligence agencies failed to recognize that al-Qaida would rapidly regain strength after the killing of Osama bin Laden.
- 2016 presidential prospect Gov. John Kasich returning to NH Updated: May-04-15 12:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) returns to New Hampshire this week as he continues to weigh a 2016 bid for president.
- British comedian, activist Russell Brand backs Labour Party Updated: May-04-15 11:43 am
LONDON - British comedian-turned-political activist Russell Brand has changed his mind and is no longer urging people not to vote in Thursday's general election - now he wants them to vote for Labour.
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces White House campaign Updated: May-04-15 11:14 am
DETROIT - Retired surgeon Ben Carson has made it official, telling a crowd in his hometown of Detroit that he's running for president.
- White House Brief: Things to know about Carly Fiorina Updated: May-04-15 8:14 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Here's a look at key things to know about Carly Fiorina as she stepped into the 2016 Republican presidential campaign on Monday.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she's seeking GOP presidential nomination Updated: May-04-15 7:16 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she's seeking GOP presidential nomination.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- Complaints filed against Gallatin Democrats Updated: May-03-15 4:34 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - A Bozeman man has filed a pair of complaints against Montana State University's College Democrats and the Gallatin County Democratic Central Committee, alleging they violated campaign practice laws in 2014, but there are questions whether it violates university policies.
- Despite conflicts, Assembly GOP optimistic as session closes Updated: May-03-15 1:46 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Eruptions of conflict between the 25 Nevada Assembly Republican caucus members become seemingly more and more routine over the first few months of the Legislature.