- Blanchett, Mara on crafting the lesbian romance of 'Carol' Updated: May-19-15 12:20 pm
CANNES, France - Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are sitting in a bright room, with the Mediterranean all around, atop the Palais des Festival, the hub of the Cannes Film Festival. As the stars of Todd Haynes' '50s lesbian romance "Carol," they've been at the very center of Cannes both because "Carol" epitomizes the positive female focus of this year's festival and because few films have been more lauded here.
- Popular UM chemistry professor gives last lecture Updated: May-15-15 5:11 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Hundreds of giddy kids raced around the University of Montana Oval on a recent evening stuffing liquid nitrogen-soaked Cheetos into their mouths and laughing wildly as they exhaled the resulting white "smoke" out of their mouths and through their nostrils in big, thick puffs.
- Man who smuggled oil into US in wine bottles gets probation Updated: May-14-15 11:49 pm
HONOLULU - A German citizen who lives in Hawaii was sentenced Thursday to three years of probation for smuggling oil that's commonly used to make ecstasy.
- New Jersey borough seeks review of police discipline process Updated: May-14-15 5:50 am
GLEN ROCK, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey town has appointed an independent investigator to examine the culture within its police department and the circumstances leading to the suspensions of two officers.
- Report says chemistry of Casco Bay changing rapidly Updated: May-04-15 4:05 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A study by an environmental group says the chemistry of the water in Maine's Casco Bay is rapidly changing.
- Seafloor sensors track submarine volcano's upheaval Updated: Apr-30-15 12:53 pm
SEATTLE - More than 80 scientists from around the world gathered in Seattle last week to discuss a thrilling development: For the first time, seafloor instruments were providing a real-time look at the most active, submarine volcano off the Northwest coast - and all signs indicated it might erupt soon.
- Purdue chemistry professor speaking at U of L Updated: Apr-29-15 4:05 am