- Nepal's earthquake highlights village exodus of the young Updated: May-06-15 3:20 am
KHADKA TOLE, Nepal - Gone, the girl says as she squints into the sun, the air around her shimmering with wind-blown wheat chaff. She points to one house after another nestled in the green hills, most shattered from the massive earthquake that hit Nepal last month.
- High-tech sensors help kids keep eye on aging parents Updated: May-05-15 10:22 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Each time 81-year-old Bill Dworsky or his 80-year-old wife Dorothy opens the refrigerator, closes the bathroom door or lifts the lid on a pill container, tiny sensors in their San Francisco home make notes on a digital logbook.
- Group launches preventive dental care pilot for Va. seniors Updated: May-04-15 2:07 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Dental Association has launched an effort to improve the dental health of seniors living in long-term care facilities.
- Mayor: Fire that engulfed several buildings under control Updated: May-04-15 2:07 am
PASSAIC, New Jersey - A massive blaze that apparently started at a church and ripped through several buildings in northern New Jersey forced several people from their homes before the flames were brought under control late Sunday night.
- AP-GfK Poll: Most favor drone strikes, even on Americans Updated: May-01-15 1:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Most Americans support using drones to target and kill members of terrorist groups overseas, and a large majority think it's acceptable to target American citizens if they are members of terrorist organizations, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Grant will help SC's seniors make homes energy efficient Updated: May-01-15 4:07 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster is announcing a grant that will help older South Carolinians make their homes more energy efficient.
- Medicare data show contrast in generic, brand prescribing Updated: Apr-30-15 6:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The most-used medicines in Medicare's prescription drug program are generics, but the program spends the most on brand-name drugs, led by the heartburn treatment Nexium, according to an unprecedented release of government data on Thursday.
- Apple, IBM, Japan Post team up to improve elderly care Updated: Apr-30-15 3:40 pm
NEW YORK - Apple, IBM and Japanese insurance and bank holding company Japan Post have formed a partnership to improve the lives of elderly people in the country.
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers reach a new threshold Updated: Apr-30-15 2:54 pm
WASHINGTON - The poshest of luxury homes are acquiring the cachet of a masterwork by Picasso or Matisse.
- Seniors show projects at West Point Updated: Apr-30-15 3:05 am
WEST POINT, New York - Dozens of cadets at West Point are preparing to demonstrate their senior projects.
- South Africa: 3 men charged with the murder of elderly nun Updated: Apr-29-15 10:10 am
JOHANNESBURG - Nuns at a rural convent in South Africa feel safer after the arrest of three men accused of killing an elderly colleague, one of the nuns said on Wednesday.
- Listeria concerns spark Hy-Vee recall of pasta salad Updated: Apr-29-15 8:23 am
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Hy-Vee Inc. says it is recalling Hy-Vee Summer Fresh Pasta because of a potential listeria contamination.
- 2 men rescue 102-year-old woman, dogs from burning home Updated: Apr-29-15 3:02 am
ESCATAWPA, Mississippi - Two Mississippi men helped to rescue a 102-year-old neighbor and her dogs from a fire at her home.
- Wolf, attorney general seek UPMC, Highmark arbitration Updated: Apr-27-15 4:41 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf and the state attorney general want the Commonwealth Court to force the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and rival Highmark Inc. into arbitration to settle lingering disputes.
- Lawmakers visiting UMaine Augusta for aging forum Updated: Apr-26-15 9:28 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A forum at the University of Maine at Augusta will focus on the challenges facing the state's growing elderly population.
- Jurors to resume deliberation in Santa Fe murder trial Updated: Apr-26-15 5:02 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A jury will resume deliberations Monday in the murder trial of a Santa Fe man charged with fatally beating an elderly man and then setting his body on fire to cover up the crime.
- Is ice cream safe? Federal health officials say yes Updated: Apr-24-15 5:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Is ice cream safe to eat? Federal officials say yes, even amid recalls by two ice cream companies after the discovery of listeria bacteria in their frozen confections.
- Kansas Wesleyan 2015 graduates will be accredited Updated: Apr-24-15 12:22 pm
SALINA, Kansas - Students graduating from Kansas Wesleyan's nursing program on May 9 will have degrees with national accreditation, even though the school voluntarily withdrew from its accrediting organization in March, university officials said.
- Chiropractor accused of scamming seniors in weight loss scam Updated: Apr-23-15 7:17 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Authorities are accusing a Utah chiropractor of charging people thousands of dollars for a phony weight loss scheme that he said required no exercise.
- Nursing home industry stalls Medicaid privatization process Updated: Apr-22-15 6:31 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's nursing home industry is trying to exempt itself from the final phase of Gov. Bobby Jindal's Medicaid privatization plan.
- Online renewal of Wisconsin driver's licenses scaled back Updated: Apr-22-15 1:40 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker's proposal allowing Wisconsin driver's licenses to be renewed online one time has been scaled back by the Legislature's budget committee.
- Q&A: What is listeria? Bacteria found in Blue Bell ice cream Updated: Apr-21-15 5:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Blue Bell Creameries is pulling all of its products off the shelves after samples of its ice cream tested positive for a potentially deadly bacteria - listeria.
- Workshop will advise seniors on financial scams Updated: Apr-21-15 4:05 am
BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky - State officials are inviting seniors to attend a workshop on preventing financial fraud and scams.
- Central Oregon shelter sees uptick in older homeless women Updated: Apr-20-15 7:47 am
BEND, Oregon - Older women with health problems are increasingly seeking beds at Bethlehem Inn, a Central Oregon homeless shelter.
- Seniors breathe new life into old tomes at bookbindery Updated: Apr-19-15 2:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Tucked into a third-floor room in a brick building in Atlantic City, a small group of people is saving history.