- Finance committee leaves SeniorCare program alone Updated: May-21-15 10:49 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Legislature's finance committee has rejected Gov. Scott Walker's cuts to Wisconsin's popular SeniorCare program.
- ATF looking for people who set fires during Baltimore riots Updated: May-21-15 6:51 pm
BALTIMORE - Federal law enforcers are asking for the public's help in identifying people who set fires at stores and an under-construction senior center during the Baltimore riots in the wake of Freddie Gray's death.
- Listeria: FDA finds problems at Ohio ice cream plant Updated: May-21-15 6:12 pm
WASHINGTON - A government investigation of Ohio-based Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams found inadequate testing and cleaning in its Columbus plant that had become contaminated with listeria.
- CVS paying $10.4B in cash for drug distributor Omnicare Updated: May-21-15 3:35 pm
CVS Health will pay more than $10 billion for pharmaceutical distributor Omnicare in a deal primed to feed its fast-growing specialty drug business and tap a lucrative and growing market: care for the elderly.
- NYC advocates: Use parking lots land for senior housing Updated: May-21-15 7:23 am
NEW YORK - New York City advocates say senior housing should be built on land that now holds underused parking lots.
- Veterans Caine, Keitel, Fonda shine in "Youth" Updated: May-20-15 10:04 am
CANNES, France - Paolo Sorrentino's bittersweet age drama, "Youth," features a tour de force performance by Michael Caine as a retired conductor reflecting on the passing of time and memories of his wife, a former singer.
- Sweet Briar's keynote speaker slams closing at commencement Updated: May-16-15 7:41 pm
SWEET BRIAR, Virginia - A visitor to Sweet Briar College would be hard-pressed to find signs of the financial stress that is shuttering the tiny women's school.
- Athens woman accused of abusing elderly in home Updated: May-16-15 5:10 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - An Athens woman accused of running an authorized personal care home has been charged with abusing elderly residents.
- New food assistance program launches for low-income seniors Updated: May-16-15 1:07 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A new food assistance program is launching in Rhode Island to help low-income seniors.
- Chickasaw Nation starts work on Tishomingo community center Updated: May-14-15 3:07 am
TISHOMINGO, Oklahoma - The Chickasaw Nation has broken ground on the Oklahoma-based tribe's Head Start, Senior Center and Community Center buildings in Tishomingo.
- 2 men arrested in killing of Carver Co. man, 90 Updated: May-12-15 7:21 pm
CHASKA, Minnesota - Authorities have arrested two men in the killing of a 90-year-old rural Carver County man who was attacked in his home last month.
- Las Cruces police: Elderly man suspected of killing his son Updated: May-11-15 10:01 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - An 89-year-old man is suspected of fatally shooting his son at a senior center before being wounded by Las Cruces police.
- Why homebuyers face a tough spring Updated: May-11-15 7:41 am
Eager to buy your first home this spring? Already own, but want to trade up? Be warned: there'll be plenty of competition
- WWII soldier's gift to mom, lost for 73 years, returns home Updated: May-09-15 2:07 pm
MILLVILLE, Massachusetts - This is the story of a loving tribute from a soldier preparing for war to his mother on the other side of the continent, who didn't know if she would ever see her boy again.
- Missouri lawmakers OK financial fraud measure for seniors Updated: May-07-15 5:04 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Financial professionals who suspect an older Missouri resident or person with a disability is the target of financial fraud would have broader authority under a measure headed to the governor.
- Nepal's earthquake highlights village exodus of the young Updated: May-06-15 3:20 am
KHADKA TOLE, Nepal - Gone, the girl says as she squints into the sun, the air around her shimmering with wind-blown wheat chaff. She points to one house after another nestled in the green hills, most shattered from the massive earthquake that hit Nepal last month.
- High-tech sensors help kids keep eye on aging parents Updated: May-05-15 10:22 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Each time 81-year-old Bill Dworsky or his 80-year-old wife Dorothy opens the refrigerator, closes the bathroom door or lifts the lid on a pill container, tiny sensors in their San Francisco home make notes on a digital logbook.
- Group launches preventive dental care pilot for Va. seniors Updated: May-04-15 2:07 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Dental Association has launched an effort to improve the dental health of seniors living in long-term care facilities.
- Mayor: Fire that engulfed several buildings under control Updated: May-04-15 2:07 am
PASSAIC, New Jersey - A massive blaze that apparently started at a church and ripped through several buildings in northern New Jersey forced several people from their homes before the flames were brought under control late Sunday night.
- AP-GfK Poll: Most favor drone strikes, even on Americans Updated: May-01-15 1:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Most Americans support using drones to target and kill members of terrorist groups overseas, and a large majority think it's acceptable to target American citizens if they are members of terrorist organizations, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Grant will help SC's seniors make homes energy efficient Updated: May-01-15 4:07 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster is announcing a grant that will help older South Carolinians make their homes more energy efficient.
- Medicare data show contrast in generic, brand prescribing Updated: Apr-30-15 6:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The most-used medicines in Medicare's prescription drug program are generics, but the program spends the most on brand-name drugs, led by the heartburn treatment Nexium, according to an unprecedented release of government data on Thursday.
- Apple, IBM, Japan Post team up to improve elderly care Updated: Apr-30-15 3:40 pm
NEW YORK - Apple, IBM and Japanese insurance and bank holding company Japan Post have formed a partnership to improve the lives of elderly people in the country.
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers reach a new threshold Updated: Apr-30-15 2:54 pm
WASHINGTON - The poshest of luxury homes are acquiring the cachet of a masterwork by Picasso or Matisse.
- Seniors show projects at West Point Updated: Apr-30-15 3:05 am
WEST POINT, New York - Dozens of cadets at West Point are preparing to demonstrate their senior projects.