- Winton's rescue of Jewish children revealed after 50 years Updated: Jul-02-15 11:15 am
LONDON - "Is there anyone in our audience tonight who owes their life to Nicholas Winton?" asked the presenter of the popular BBC magazine program "That's Life".
- Medicare proposes coverage change on short hospital stays Updated: Jul-01-15 6:43 pm
WASHINGTON - Medicare proposed Wednesday to ease a coverage policy on short hospital stays that has been criticized because it can result in higher costs for seniors.
- Survey: US political and generation gaps on science issues Updated: Jul-01-15 11:06 am
WASHINGTON - Age divides Americans on science issues just as much as political ideology, a new analysis of recent polling shows.
- The Latest: Maine Legislature OKs $100M in bond proposals Updated: Jun-30-15 10:55 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The latest on the Maine Legislature's rush to finish its work for the session (all times local):
- Johns Hopkins startup helps seniors hear at a low cost Updated: Jun-28-15 9:07 am
BALTIMORE - As many as two-thirds of older adults will experience hearing loss, but many won't do anything about it, says Dr. Carrie Nieman, a resident at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Applications open for cooling aid funds for ND seniors Updated: Jun-27-15 10:16 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Applications are being accepted for a program that helps seniors and people with some medical conditions pay their cooling bills.
- Oregon's retirement-age population growing fast Updated: Jun-26-15 10:16 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - The retirement-age boom is well underway in Oregon.
- Snooty, the elderly manatee, recognized as record holder Updated: Jun-26-15 3:04 am
BRADENTON, Florida - Snooty, the beloved manatee, has had plenty of honors in his long life.
- NC sheriff's office taking donations of fans to fight heat Updated: Jun-25-15 4:06 am
EDEN, North Carolina - The Rockingham County Sheriff's Office is partnering with other agencies in hopes of helping the elderly deal with temperatures hovering near triple digits.
- Officials: 2 firefighters injured in Kendall blaze Updated: Jun-25-15 3:35 am
KENDALL, Florida - Two firefighters have been injured while trying to put out a blaze inside a Kendall home.
- Census data: Florida growth last year driven by Hispanics Updated: Jun-25-15 12:58 am
ORLANDO, Florida - Hispanic residents made up almost half of Florida's population growth last year, and the age gap between Florida's white and minority residents continued to widen, according to figures released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Toll in Mexico nursing home fire rises to 17, arson possible Updated: Jun-24-15 11:45 am
MEXICO CITY - A fire that killed 17 residents at a retirement home for poor people on Mexico's northern border may have been intentionally set, the city's mayor said Wednesday.
- Retirees deciding whether new lifestyle will include pets Updated: Jun-24-15 10:49 am
LOS ANGELES - Denise and John Stevens have had pets their whole lives - then they retired.
- The Latest: Bill to give aid to asylum seekers gets final OK Updated: Jun-23-15 10:18 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The latest on the closing stages of lawmakers' six-month legislative session:
- House votes to kill health law's Medicare savings panel Updated: Jun-23-15 7:03 pm
WASHINGTON - The House voted Tuesday to kill a federal panel that is supposed to find ways to curb Medicare spending, as Republicans ignored a veto threat and leveled their latest blow at President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.
- Parts of several Southeastern states under heat advisories Updated: Jun-22-15 4:47 pm
NEW ORLEANS - With summer barely begun, forecasters are already issuing heat advisories for much of the Southeast.
- Medicare: House calls can help frail seniors and cut costs Updated: Jun-19-15 3:28 am
WASHINGTON - An X-ray in the living room. A rapid blood test. A peek into pill bottles and refrigerators. The humble house call can accomplish a lot - and now research suggests that tailoring it to some of Medicare's frailest patients can improve their care while cutting costs.
- Police: Elderly Connecticut men get into road rage fight Updated: Jun-18-15 9:07 pm
TRUMBULL, Connecticut - Police in Connecticut say an 84-year-old driver punched a 76-year-old man and knocked him down after they both got out of their vehicles during a road rage incident.
- Medicare project: House calls for frail seniors cut costs Updated: Jun-18-15 10:52 am
WASHINGTON - The humble house call is being put to the test to see if it can improve care and cut costs for some of Medicare's frailest patients - and new data suggests it can work.
- Police know truck driver who hit Pennsylvania senior center Updated: Jun-18-15 10:05 am
SHARPSBURG, Pennsylvania - Police say they've identified the driver of a tractor-trailer that smashed into a senior citizens' center near Pittsburgh early Thursday.
- Senator probes retailers on dubious 'brain' supplements Updated: Jun-17-15 4:03 pm
WASHINGTON - A high-ranking Senate Democrat is probing retailers and online companies about sales of dubious dietary supplements, especially those promising seniors protection from memory loss, dementia and other age-related problems.
- FACT CHECK: Why Bush's growth forecast is a stretch Updated: Jun-17-15 1:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says there's "not a reason in the world" why the U.S. economy can't grow at 4 percent annually.
- Washoe County project aims to prevent seniors from wandering Updated: Jun-16-15 5:08 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Alzheimer's patients who wander away from home can often touch off intense and expensive manhunts as rescuers rush to find them before they succumb to the elements.
- Charleston holding first senior information fair Updated: Jun-13-15 6:20 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The City of Charleston is hosting its first Senior Information Fair.
- Nixon signs bill aimed at protecting seniors from fraud Updated: Jun-12-15 8:35 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Financial advisers soon will have more authority to act if they suspect an older Missouri resident or person with a disability is the target of financial fraud.