- 3 Texas sheriff's workers fired in wake of deputy slaying Updated: Feb-12-16 3:36 pm
HOUSTON - Two more Harris County Sheriff's Office employees have been fired amid the investigation into the August fatal shooting of a deputy at a gas station.
- NYPD fires partner who testified at shooting trial Updated: Feb-12-16 3:36 pm
NEW YORK - The New York Police Department says Peter Liang's (lee-ANGZ') partner has been fired after his involvement in the 2014 shooting death of Akai (ah-KEYE') Gurley.
- 'No rhyme or reason' for machete attack at Ohio restaurant Updated: Feb-12-16 3:30 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - From the front door, the man with the machete didn't have a straight path to people in the booths at the small suburban restaurant. He stepped by the welcoming greeting on the front glass, past the half-wall entryway divider and the display case of kataifi and other Mediterranean pastries.
- DOJ, Miami police near settlement in civil rights case Updated: Feb-12-16 3:12 pm
MIAMI - The U.S. Justice Department and city of Miami are close to a settlement in a civil rights case stemming from questionable police shootings from 2008 to 2011.
- The Latest: Owner thinks eatery was targeted, FBI not sure Updated: Feb-12-16 3:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on an Ohio restaurant attack by a machete-wielding man later killed by police (all times local):
- Commissioner: Boston police kill armed man who fired at them Updated: Feb-12-16 2:53 pm
BOSTON - Authorities say Boston police officers responding to reports of a shooting exchanged gunfire with a man who was helping a gunshot victim, killing him.
- Man charged with murder in Georgia lawman's shooting death Updated: Feb-12-16 2:36 pm
ATLANTA - A suspect accused of gunning down a Georgia lawman has been charged with murder in the death of the 25-year police veteran. The fallen officer was struck by two shots as he helped colleagues serve a "no knock" search warrant at an apartment complex near Atlanta, authorities said Friday.
- Meredith police's grenade launcher recalled by government Updated: Feb-12-16 2:28 pm
MEREDITH, New Hampshire - A grenade launcher obtained by a New Hampshire town police department through a U.S. Department of Defense program has been recalled by the federal government.
- Autopsy: Police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back Updated: Feb-12-16 2:09 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An autopsy report shows a young black man shot dead by San Francisco police suffered 20 gunshot wounds, including six in the back, and had drugs in his system when he died in the shooting that sparked protests and calls for the chief's removal.
- AP Interview: Police shooting spurs state agency changes Updated: Feb-12-16 1:53 pm
CHICAGO - The death of Laquan McDonald, a black Chicago teenager who was a state ward for most of his life before he we was shot 16 times by a white police officer, has spurred Illinois' child welfare agency to look differently and with more focus at the cases of troubled youths, the director told The Associated Press.
- Police: Official killed in police shooting pointed shotgun Updated: Feb-12-16 1:43 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - North Slope Borough police say the officer involved in a fire official's fatal shooting in Barrow acted after the man pointed a shotgun at police.
- City, police set up benefit fund for family of slain officer Updated: Feb-12-16 1:37 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The city of Fargo and its police department are sponsoring a benefit fund for the family of an officer who was shot and killed earlier this week.
- Sheriff supports Andersons' actions in Oregon standoff Updated: Feb-12-16 1:03 pm
GRANGEVILLE, Idaho - Sean and Sandy Anderson of Riggins, Idaho, made some poor choices when they joined the occupiers at a wildlife refuge in Oregon, but they did nothing wrong.
- The Latest: Man charged with murder in officer's killing Updated: Feb-12-16 12:40 pm
RIVERDALE, Georgia - The Latest on a police officer shot to death in the Atlanta suburb of Riverdale, Georgia (all times local):
- Commission stops Faulkner County sheriff's election rumors Updated: Feb-12-16 11:31 am
CONWAY, Arkansas - The Faulkner County Election Commission has squashed rumors around a sheriff's candidate in the March 1 primary election.
- Union: Staff cuts, conditions led to California jail escape Updated: Feb-12-16 11:18 am
SANTA ANA, California - A deputies union has sued the Orange County Sheriff's Department alleging that staff reductions and unsafe conditions helped lead to the brazen escape of three inmates from a jail in California.
- Prosecutor in Albuquerque police shooting case seeks delay Updated: Feb-12-16 10:57 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A New Mexico judge has fined a special prosecutor in a case involving two former Albuquerque officers charged with second-degree murder because she wants to delay the trial to attend a wedding.
- Honolulu Police Department has 1,500 untested rape kits Updated: Feb-12-16 10:13 am
HONOLULU - The Honolulu Police Department has a backlog of 1,500 untested rape kits dating back more than a decade, according to a police spokeswoman.
- South Texas sheriff's deputy accused of theft, faces firing Updated: Feb-12-16 9:28 am
SAN ANTONIO - A South Texas sheriff's deputy has been charged with theft for allegedly charging $2,900 of her own expenses to an inmate's credit card.
- Cop placed on leave after comment about activist's suicide Updated: Feb-12-16 8:03 am
FAIRBORN, Ohio - Officials say an Ohio police officer is being put on paid leave over a Facebook comment about a Black Lives Matter activist who killed himself on the Statehouse steps.
- Sheriff settles hostile work environment case Updated: Feb-12-16 5:36 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton has reached a settlement with a chief deputy who filed a tort claim alleging the sheriff created a hostile work environment.
- Ex-deputy gets 2-year prison sentence in identity fraud case Updated: Feb-12-16 5:10 am
MACON, Georgia - A former Bibb County deputy has been sentenced to two years in prison after admitting to sending explicit photos of a woman - while pretending to be her - to his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend in an attempt to disrupt their relationship.
- Director of Arizona police officer standards board is fired Updated: Feb-12-16 5:01 am
PHOENIX - The Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board has fired its longtime executive director.
- Beshear, sheriffs warn of phone scam in Kentucky Updated: Feb-12-16 4:05 am
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Kentucky's attorney general says Kentuckians are being targeted by over-the-phone scams featuring people claiming to be county sheriff's deputies.
- Man pleads guilty to raping Indiana University student Updated: Feb-12-16 4:01 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - An Indianapolis man has pleaded guilty to breaking into an apartment shared by Indiana University students and raping one of them while holding a gun to her head.