- Asheville names 26-year veteran Hooper as new police chief Updated: May-29-15 3:13 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Tammy Hooper, a deputy chief of police in Alexandria, Virginia, and a 26-year veteran of law enforcement is the new police chief in Asheville.
- California man kills neighbor, self after all-day standoff Updated: May-29-15 2:17 pm
CHULA VISTA, California - A dispute between neighbors ended with both men dead but the safe emergence of two children and the shooter's wife from an all-day standoff at a suburban San Diego apartment, authorities said.
- Tulsa County sheriff's major 'no longer an employee' Updated: May-29-15 1:44 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office spokesman who was placed on leave following the fatal shooting of a restrained man by a volunteer deputy is "no longer an employee" of the office.
- Police: Teen shot by officer during break-in at upstate bank Updated: May-29-15 1:11 pm
KINGSTON, New York - Authorities say an 18-year-old man is hospitalized after he was shot by a police officer responding to a report of a break-in at a Hudson Valley bank.
- GBI: Officer fatally shoots man who tried to draw gun Updated: May-29-15 12:38 pm
CARROLLTON, Georgia - A police officer fatally shot a man who began to draw a gun during a confrontation in the west Georgia city of Carrollton, authorities said Friday.
- Ky. police accused of shipping mentally ill man to Florida Updated: May-29-15 11:01 am
CARROLLTON, Kentucky - A published report says the Kentucky Attorney General's office is investigating a police department after a mentally ill jail inmate was shipped to Florida instead of to a mental hospital for an evaluation.
- Police kill man attacking officers with lawnmower blade Updated: May-29-15 9:47 am
TRENTON, Michigan - Authorities say an 18-year-old man who attacked officers with a lawnmower blade has died after being shot by police.
- Albuquerque officers shoot at suspect driving toward them Updated: May-29-15 9:37 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Albuquerque police officers opened fire on a man suspected of stealing a SUV when he allegedly drove directly at police, officials said.
- Long Beach police shoot man who jumped out of window Updated: May-29-15 8:43 am
LONG BEACH, California - Long Beach authorities say police fatally shot an apparently intoxicated man who jumped out of a second-floor window and struggled with officers in an alley while covered with blood.
- Siblings on W.Va. police force admit faked traffic citations Updated: May-29-15 8:39 am
FAYETTEVILLE, West Virginia - Two brothers who were on the Gauley Bridge police force have admitted to fabricating warning citations for traffic stops.
- Gretna motel sued by police chief labeled nuisance Updated: May-29-15 8:26 am
GRETNA, Louisiana - A Gretna motel, where police made 250 arrests last year, has been declared a nuisance by a state judge.
- Police: Motorcyclist killed in collision with minivan Updated: May-29-15 8:02 am
NIAGARA FALLS, New York - Police say a western New York motorcyclist has died in a collision with a minivan driven by a woman who was under the influence of alcohol.
- Atlanta police chief named to association board Updated: May-29-15 4:07 am
ATLANTA - Atlanta's police chief is joining the executive board of a national law enforcement organization.
- Man sentenced after police say he extorted a deaf person Updated: May-29-15 2:14 am
WESTFIELD, Massachusetts - A Springfield man has been sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to pay $13,000 in restitution for charges that he extorted money from a deaf person by pretending to be a police officer.
- King County sheriff's spokesman: Deputy shoots, wounds teen Updated: May-29-15 2:01 am
SEATAC, Washington - Authorities say a King County sheriff's deputy shot and wounded a 17-year-old boy Thursday night in SeaTac, south of Seattle, after a brief chase involving a stolen car.
- Man sues police for $25 million, says Taser hit ruined eye Updated: May-29-15 12:04 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A 31-year-old man has filed a $25 million lawsuit against a California police department, saying he lost his left eye after Fairfield police used a Taser gun on him.
- Report completed on police shooting of Washington state man Updated: May-28-15 8:53 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - A special investigative unit gave prosecutors its final report Thursday on the February killing of an unarmed Mexican man who was shot by police in Pasco, Washington. The contents were not released.
- California bills reinstating penalties for some crimes fail Updated: May-28-15 8:22 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A key legislative panel on Thursday shelved several attempts to scale back a ballot measure that California voters approved to reduce penalties for some crimes, including stalling a bill that would have made stealing firearms a felony once again.
- No light shed on investigation into pocketing by officers Updated: May-28-15 8:00 pm
PHOENIX - A trove of records released Thursday by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office provides a window into disciplinary problems among sheriff's employees, but sheds no light on investigations into claims that officers pocketed items confiscated in traffic stops and safe-house busts.
- DA to move quickly against suspects in officer's killing Updated: May-28-15 7:28 pm
RIO RANCHO, New Mexico - District Attorney Lemuel Martinez said Thursday he plans to seek the maximum punishment against a known gang member suspected of shooting and killing a Rio Rancho police officer during a traffic stop.
- Chicago police asked to keep racially charged photo sealed Updated: May-28-15 5:52 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago police asked a judge to seal a photograph of two white officers holding rifles over a black man wearing deer antlers in an effort to protect the unidentified black man's privacy, an argument that sparked skepticism Thursday by some community activists.
- Detroit-area officer to stand trial for driver's beating Updated: May-28-15 5:51 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A police officer seen on video repeatedly punching a motorist in the head during a traffic stop was ordered to stand trial on assault charges Thursday, and the driver's lawyers announced a nearly $1.4 million settlement with a Detroit suburb over the beating.
- Trial opens for man in crash death of deputy chasing SUV Updated: May-28-15 5:29 pm
MASON, Michigan - A trial has begun for a man in the death of an Ingham County sheriff's deputy who crashed while chasing an SUV.
- Freddie Gray activists plan protest at O'Malley announcement Updated: May-28-15 5:25 pm
BALTIMORE - Some Baltimore police accountability activists say they'll protest former Gov. Martin O'Malley's announcement of a possible presidential bid in the city Saturday morning.
- California police cleared in killing of woman who had bat Updated: May-28-15 4:10 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Prosecutors say police officers in California lawfully shot and killed a suicidal, mentally ill and highly intoxicated woman who came at them with an aluminum bat last year.