- Detroit suburb reaches $1.4M settlement in police beating Updated: May-28-15 1:49 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A Detroit suburb has agreed to settle a lawsuit over excessive force by police for nearly $1.4 million, four months after an officer repeatedly punched a motorist in the head during a traffic stop that was recorded on dash-cam video, an attorney said Thursday.
- Man fatally shot by central Ga. sheriff's deputy Updated: May-28-15 1:47 pm
EATONTON, Georgia - Putnam County sheriff's officials say a man has died after a confrontation with a deputy.
- Police: Worker killed in accident at Michigan concrete plant Updated: May-28-15 1:14 pm
ZILWAUKEE, Michigan - Authorities say a worker has been killed in an accident at a Saginaw-area concrete plant.
- Civilians get new authority in Cleveland police settlement Updated: May-28-15 1:01 pm
CLEVELAND - Cleveland's settlement agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice on reforming the city's troubled police department calls for civilians to play influential roles in investigating police misconduct and establishing policies and procedures.
- Photo shows Chicago cops posing over black man with antlers Updated: May-28-15 12:45 pm
CHICAGO - A former Chicago police detective is suing to get his job back after being fired for posing in a photograph with another officer holding rifles over an unidentified black man lying on a floor and wearing deer antlers.
- San Diego deputy kills man who threatened screwdriver attack Updated: May-28-15 9:19 am
EL CAJON, California - San Diego County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a reportedly suicidal man who threatened to attack a deputy with a screwdriver.
- Suit filed in Ferguson police killing moves to federal court Updated: May-28-15 8:55 am
ST. LOUIS - A wrongful death lawsuit filed by Michael Brown's parents is moving to federal court.
- Lawsuit says Mourdock gave chief deputy 3-year contract Updated: May-28-15 8:03 am
INDIANAPOLIS - A lawsuit claims former state Treasurer Richard Mourdock gave his chief deputy a three-year, $300,000 contract before he resigned from office last year.
- Va. Beach officers won face charges in 3 shootings Updated: May-28-15 7:52 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A prosecutor says no charges will be filed against Virginia Beach police officers involved in three nonfatal shootings this month.
- Sophia asks judge to dismiss police brutality lawsuit Updated: May-28-15 7:35 am
BECKLEY, West Virginia - Sophia and a town police officer have asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit alleging the officer beat a handcuffed man during an arrest.
- Boy from sheriff's youth ranch steals car, launches chase Updated: May-28-15 7:05 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - Officials say a 13-year-old boy from the Maryland Sheriffs' Youth Ranch led Frederick County sheriff's deputies and troopers on a high-speed car chase through two counties in a stolen car.
- Veteran police dog retires in Rock Springs Updated: May-28-15 7:05 am
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyoming - A veteran police dog has retired from the Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office.
- Woodburn police chief injured in bank bombing to retire Updated: May-28-15 6:17 am
WOODBURN, Oregon - Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell will retire July 1 after 28 years with the department.
- 2 police dogs found dead in South Florida officer's SUV Updated: May-28-15 6:05 am
DAVIE, Florida - An investigation is underway after two police dogs were found dead inside an unmarked SUV parked outside a Hialeah police officer's home.
- City to pay for legal representation in wrongful death claim Updated: May-28-15 5:02 am
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - The city of Fayetteville will pay for legal representation in a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the police department.
- Polk County State Attorney says police department troubled Updated: May-28-15 3:05 am
LAKE HAMILTON, Florida - The Polk County State Attorney says the Lake Hamilton Police Department is unable to investigate serious crimes because of incompetent officers, poor training and a lack of leadership.
- State police to be honored for Griswold anti-drug effort Updated: May-28-15 3:04 am
GRISWOLD, Connecticut - Griswold officials are planning to honor state police troopers for fighting a growing drug abuse problem in town.
- Wash. prosecutor expects police report on fatal shooting Updated: May-27-15 10:50 pm
PASCO, Washington - A special investigative unit's report on the Feb. 10 shooting death of an unarmed Hispanic man in the central Washington city of Pasco is expected Thursday, the Franklin County prosecutor said.
- Police opposition stalls Texas' open carry handgun bill Updated: May-27-15 9:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Fierce opposition from police across the state on Wednesday derailed an effort that would allow people to openly carry handguns on the streets of Texas in a move that could prevent the measure from passing this legislative session.
- Police: Man dies at hospital after shot by police stun gun Updated: May-27-15 8:46 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Police in Kansas City, Kansas, say a man shocked by an officer's stun gun has died at a hospital.
- 6 Baltimore officers charged in death seek to move trial Updated: May-27-15 7:24 pm
BALTIMORE - Attorneys for six Baltimore police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray are asking a judge to move their case out of Baltimore, arguing it will be impossible to select an impartial jury and receive a fair trial.
- County won't join Arpaio in trying to disqualify judge Updated: May-27-15 6:56 pm
PHOENIX - Maricopa County officials declined Wednesday to join Sheriff Joe Arpaio in asking that the judge in the lawman's racial profiling lawsuit be disqualified from presiding over the 7-year-old case.
- Ex-LAPD detective sentenced for having child pornography Updated: May-27-15 5:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - A retired Los Angeles police detective who kept hundreds of child pornography images on his computer won't be going to prison.
- Police: Albuquerque officer shot at suspected SUV thief Updated: May-27-15 5:20 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque officer has been placed on paid leave after authorities say he shot at a man suspected of driving a stolen SUV who "recklessly fled the scene."
- Sheriff: Jail sergeant fired for letting out arrestee early Updated: May-27-15 1:40 pm
MUSKEGON, Michigan - The Muskegon County sheriff says a jail sergeant has been fired after the early release of an Ottawa County corrections officer accused of drunken driving.