- Bomb blast kills 6 Iraqi policemen, injures 10 Updated: Aug-28-15 4:55 am
BAGHDAD - Iraqi officials say an explosion has ripped through the parking lot of a Baghdad police station when a police bomb squad tried to defuse a car bomb while colleagues looked on, killing six and wounding 10.
- Ohio board working on statewide deadly force standards Updated: Aug-28-15 4:17 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposed statewide standard in Ohio would permit police to use deadly force only when officers are defending themselves or other people from serious injury or death.
- Police escort daughter of slain Akron officer to school Updated: Aug-28-15 3:08 am
AKRON, Ohio - Law enforcement officers showed up to help escort the daughter of a slain Akron police officer to kindergarten.
- Ex-deputy treasurer due in court after Pakistan extradition Updated: Aug-28-15 1:57 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Ohio deputy treasurer is scheduled for a court hearing after authorities said he was extradited from Pakistan to serve 15 years in prison for his role as lead conspirator in a kickback scheme at the state treasurer's office.
- Fire burns sheriff's substation, city offices in Mill City Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MILL CITY, Oregon - Linn County Sheriff Bruce Riley says a building in Milly City housing a sheriff's substation and various city government offices has been destroyed by fire.
- Klamath sheriff calls for deputies to give up badges Updated: Aug-27-15 7:49 pm
KLAMATH FALLS, Oregon - Klamath County Sheriff Frank Skrah is not responding to a call from county commissioners that he go on leave pending the outcome of a criminal investigation of him by the state Attorney General's Office.
- Coroner: Carson deputy, suspect died of each other's gunfire Updated: Aug-27-15 6:55 pm
RENO, Nevada - The Washoe County Medical Examiner says a Carson City deputy and a suspect he confronted died of each other's gunfire.
- Correction: Murder Exonerations-Lawsuits story Updated: Aug-27-15 6:50 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - In a story Aug. 26 about lawsuits by two exonerated murder defendants, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of one of the sheriff's investigators accused of withholding evidence. His name is Gilbert Parra, not Eric Parra.
- Dallas police shoot robbery suspect dead during struggle Updated: Aug-27-15 6:11 pm
DALLAS - Dallas police say a suspect was shot dead in a struggle with an officer investigating a reported robbery at a suspected drug house near Fair Park.
- Sentencing continues for case related to troopers' deaths Updated: Aug-27-15 5:26 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - The sentencing hearing for a man convicted of evidence tampering in the deaths of two Alaska State Troopers will be continued next week.
- New Missouri court fines, sex ed laws set to take effect Updated: Aug-27-15 5:15 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Numerous new Missouri laws are set to take effect Friday, ranging from legislation addressing concerns about court fines raised after the fatal police shooting of a black 18-year-old in Ferguson to child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes.
- Northeast Missouri suspect badly hurt after police shooting Updated: Aug-27-15 3:07 pm
CANTON, Missouri - A northeast Missouri man is hospitalized with severe injuries after allegedly pointing a gun at police, prompting two officers to open fire.
- County sheriff apologizes for name flub in condolence letter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:05 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa County Sheriff Stanley Glanz has come under sharp criticism by the Sapulpa police chief for a condolence letter that misidentified a Sapulpa officer who was killed in an off-duty incident with the name of a suspect arrested in the slaying.
- Prosecutor: Man who killed 2, himself, wanted to kill police Updated: Aug-27-15 2:35 pm
SOMERVILLE, New Jersey - Investigators say a New Jersey man who killed his fiancee, her brother and himself last weekend told a family member he wanted to kill police officers.
- Police: Man shot at Ohio hospital in struggle with officers Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 pm
GARFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio - Authorities say an off-duty policeman working security at a Cleveland-area hospital shot and critically wounded a man who tried to rip away the officer's handgun and used the officer's stun gun on police and a nurse.
- Lawmaker blasts prosecutor for actions on son's DUI case Updated: Aug-27-15 11:55 am
CASPER, Wyoming - Rep. Bill Pownall, who resigned as Campbell County sheriff last year amid allegations he influenced a drunken-driving investigation of his son, criticized the motive and actions of the former county attorney in her dealing with his sheriff's office and son.
- ASU Police Department launches Special Victims Unit Updated: Aug-27-15 11:41 am
TEMPE, Arizona - Arizona State University has added a Special Victims Unit to its campus police department to cover special crimes reported on any of its four campuses.
- Bald Knob police chief seeks 'guns prohibited' signs Updated: Aug-27-15 10:25 am
BALD KNOB, Arkansas - The Bald Knob police chief is encouraging local businesses to post "guns prohibited" signs to prevent residents from openly carrying weapons in public.
- Portuguese government pleases some police, annoys others Updated: Aug-27-15 10:14 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's government has bowed to police demands for a shorter working week and early retirement, but some police labor groups aren't happy and are promising street demonstrations.
- Police: Woman killed her cousin on New Orleans porch Updated: Aug-27-15 9:08 am
NEW ORLEANS - Authorities say a 37-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with the stabbing death of her cousin in New Orleans.
- Medical examiner: Suspect shot by police had severed spine Updated: Aug-27-15 8:32 am
ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis medical examiner says the 18-year-old fatally shot by police last week suffered a severed spinal cord, prompting a lawyer for the family to further question the police contention that the suspect ran a short distance after the shooting.
- Deputies: Man kills older sister, self in South Florida Updated: Aug-27-15 5:34 am
POMPANO BEACH, Florida - Deputies say a 24-year-old man fatally shot his older sister before turning the gun on himself.
- Witnesses say man fatally shot by deputy was walking away Updated: Aug-27-15 5:31 am
HUNTERS, Washington - Witnesses say a man who was fatally shot by a Stevens County deputy was walking away when he was killed.
- Missouri police training panel to hold public hearings Updated: Aug-27-15 5:07 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - The public will have an opportunity to suggest changes to the training requirements of law enforcers in Missouri.
- Police: 2 killed, 2 wounded in West Palm Beach shooting Updated: Aug-27-15 2:34 am
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Authorities say two people have been killed and two others wounded in a shooting in West Palm Beach.