- Capitals' Ovechkin scores winner in return vs. Islanders Updated: Feb-04-16 10:19 pm
- Manziel not charged despite claims he hit ex-girlfriend Updated: Feb-04-16 9:42 pm
CLEVELAND - Despite disturbing allegations that he struck his ex-girlfriend, troubled Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel has not been charged with a crime and two Texas police departments have closed their cases on a possible assault.
- NFL critic crashes news conference about concussions Updated: Feb-04-16 9:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An uninvited guest at the NFL's annual pre-Super Bowl news conference about health and safety, Chris Nowinski stood nearby and listened Thursday as one of the league's chief advisers about concussions declined to acknowledge a link between football and the brain disease called CTE.
- Union: Raiders, Jaguars far under spending minimum Updated: Feb-04-16 9:28 pm
- Fernando Rodney and Padres finalize $2 million, 1-year deal Updated: Feb-04-16 9:09 pm
SAN DIEGO - Reliever Fernando Rodney and the San Diego Padres completed their $2 million, one-year contract on Thursday.
- After disclosing player information, USSF moves to seal suit Updated: Feb-04-16 9:01 pm
The U.S. Soccer Federation's original lawsuit against the union for its champion women's national team has been sealed after the governing body realized it had disclosed the home addresses and email accounts of many players.
- Florida hires Virginia Tech's Gray as defensive backs coach Updated: Feb-04-16 8:24 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Florida has hired Virginia Tech assistant Torrian Gray as its defensive backs coach.
- Orioles, LHP Matusz agree to $3.9 million, 1-year contract Updated: Feb-04-16 8:00 pm
BALTIMORE - The Orioles have reached agreement with left-hander Brian Matusz on a $3.9 million, one-year contract, avoiding arbitration.
- Reliever J.J. Hoover and Reds argue salary arbitration case Updated: Feb-04-16 7:57 pm
PHOENIX - J.J. Hoover and the Cincinnati Reds argued their salary arbitration case Thursday, with the reliever asking for a raise from $535,000 to $1.4 million and the team arguing for $1,225,000.
- Lions' website says Sheldon White relieved of his duties Updated: Feb-04-16 7:48 pm
ALLEN PARK, Michigan - The Detroit Lions have relieved Sheldon White of his duties, according to a report on the team's website.
- Kendrick and Dodgers finalize $20 million, 2-year contract Updated: Feb-04-16 7:22 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Dodgers finalized their $20 million, two-year contract with free-agent Howie Kendrick on Thursday, bringing back the second baseman in part because of his willingness to play multiple positions.
- Column: Goodell riding high, and so is the unstoppable NFL Updated: Feb-04-16 7:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Roger Goodell might as well mail this one in.
- Marlins sign infielder Don Kelly to minor league deal Updated: Feb-04-16 6:52 pm
MIAMI - Infielder Don Kelly has signed a minor league contract with the Miami Marlins, with an invitation to major league spring training.
- Broncos take a chance, and it pays off with Kubiak Updated: Feb-04-16 6:43 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - It's hard to know who took the bigger risk.
- Boilermakers hire Darrell Funk as offensive line coach Updated: Feb-04-16 3:42 pm
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Purdue hired Darrell Funk as its new offensive line coach Thursday.
- Goodell to require teams to interview women for exec jobs Updated: Feb-04-16 3:19 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will implement a "Rooney Rule" requiring that women be interviewed for executive positions with teams around the league and in his own office, too.
- Orioles get RHP Despaigne from Padres for minor leaguer Updated: Feb-04-16 3:17 pm
- Denver (NC) is backing Panthers, not Broncos in Super Bowl Updated: Feb-04-16 1:17 pm
There are hardly any Broncos fans these days in Denver - not Denver, North Carolina, that is.
- Brazilian company tells Neymar to come clean over transfer Updated: Feb-04-16 10:09 am
MADRID - The Brazilian company that says it hasn't been properly compensated for Neymar's transfer to Barcelona wants him to come clean and put an end to his judicial problems in Spain and Brazil.
- Western retirees at Thai resort busted for playing bridge Updated: Feb-04-16 6:41 am
BANGKOK - Add aging Western bridge players to the list of desperadoes in Thailand's seaside resort of Pattaya, a sin city rife with prostitution, corruption and foreign and home-grown gangsters.
- Buffalo Sabres, cancer center launch prevention campaign Updated: Feb-04-16 3:10 am
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo Sabres and an upstate cancer center have announced a partnership aimed at helping hockey fans prevent and detect cancer.
- Former MLB outfielder Gomes signs with Rakuten Eagles Updated: Feb-04-16 2:52 am
TOKYO - Free-agent outfielder Jonny Gomes has agreed to a one-year deal with the Rakuten Eagles of Japan's Pacific League.
- NHL suspends Wideman 20 games for abuse of official Updated: Feb-04-16 2:43 am
NEW YORK - The NHL barred Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman 20 games on Wednesday for cross-checking a linesman last week, the second-longest suspension in NHL history for abusing an official.
- Aldridge scores season-high 36, Spurs beat Pelicans 110-97 Updated: Feb-04-16 12:33 am
SAN ANTONIO - LaMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard have sought a balance between respecting San Antonio's Big Three and completely taking over the Spurs.
- UCLA gets tougher, bounces back with elite recruiting class Updated: Feb-03-16 11:38 pm
LOS ANGELES - UCLA was pushed around in losses to rival Southern California to end the regular season and Nebraska in the Foster Farms Bowl. Coach Jim Mora believes the Bruins started the process of pushing back by adding a 29-man recruiting class Wednesday with an emphasis on physicality.