- Lobbying by renewable energy groups on rise in Massachusetts Updated: Apr-30-16 12:10 pm
BOSTON - An effort to jolt Massachusetts' reliance on solar and wind projects has surged in recent years, powered in part by an increase in lobbying by supporters of renewable energy.
- Defense secretary investigating accuracy of sex crimes cases Updated: Apr-28-16 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday he's investigating whether his department misled Congress in an effort to derail a contentious bill that would change the way the military handles allegations of sexual misconduct.
- Data: Wisconsin blacks struggled to graduate in 4 years Updated: Apr-28-16 5:12 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Less than two-thirds of black students in the class of 2015 graduated from Wisconsin high schools within four years, according to state data released Thursday.
- The Latest: With sentencing Hastert loses teacher pension Updated: Apr-27-16 8:42 pm
CHICAGO - The Latest on the sentencing of former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert (all times local):
- Indonesia's search for mass graves met with skepticism Updated: Apr-27-16 6:24 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - The Indonesian government's decision to investigate anti-communist massacres in 1965 is being met with wariness by rights groups, some of which are reluctant to share information about mass graves until the government shows how it will conduct the probe.
- The Latest: Bathroom law didn't deter transgender protesters Updated: Apr-26-16 2:31 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on protests over a law curtailing rights for lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual people (all times local):
- Gov. Walker signs bill banning local government IDs Updated: Apr-25-16 6:51 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Advocacy groups and Milwaukee officials are exploring new ways to provide local photo IDs to the homeless and immigrants in the country illegally after Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill hindering their current effort Monday.
- Iowa looks to Minnesota for medical marijuana Updated: Apr-22-16 3:25 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Iowa and Minnesota lawmakers are exploring a system to allow Iowa residents to buy medical marijuana oil from their northern neighbor, lawmakers from both states have told The Associated Press.
- Kentucky Retirement Board chair defies governor's order Updated: Apr-21-16 5:36 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's massive public pension problem moved from the fiscal to the political limelight Thursday when the chairman of the state pension board refused the governor's order to step down - presiding over a board meeting instead.
- Study finds wide medical procedure cost disparities in Maine Updated: Apr-20-16 12:57 pm
YARMOUTH, Maine - A study released by a conservative advocacy group has shown wide disparities in what Maine providers charge for the same medical procedures.
- Court rules Indiana lawmakers can keep emails private Updated: Apr-19-16 5:09 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers can continue withholding their correspondence with lobbying groups and businesses from the public under a ruling Tuesday by the state Supreme Court.
- The Latest: Governor not open to scaling back insurance plan Updated: Apr-19-16 3:33 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Latest on efforts to end a budget standoff over Arkansas' hybrid Medicaid expansion (all times local):
- Senators call on Obama to investigate sexual assault cases Updated: Apr-19-16 11:35 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Barack Obama is being urged by two U.S. senators to investigate whether the Pentagon misled Congress with information about sexual assault cases in an effort to undercut support for a Senate bill that senior military officials steadfastly oppose.
- Biden: 'Overwhelming frustration' with Israeli gov't Updated: Apr-18-16 11:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged "overwhelming frustration" with Israel's government on Monday and said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's administration has led Israel in the wrong direction, in an unusually sharp rebuke of America's closest ally in the Middle East.
- Feds to restore grazing allotment health stats in reports Updated: Apr-18-16 6:13 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Federal land managers have agreed to restore information about grazing allotments not meeting rangeland health standards in 13 western states after a public lands advocacy group complained about the omission.
- Student group calls University of New Mexico seal offensive Updated: Apr-17-16 4:16 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The University of New Mexico's official seal depicting a Spanish conquistador and a frontiersman is drawing accusations of racism from Native American students.
- New Jersey billboards ask Gov. Christie to denounce Trump Updated: Apr-15-16 2:58 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Billboards calling on Republican Gov. Chris Christie to denounce Donald Trump are popping up across New Jersey.
- Pennsylvania trampoline park fires worker over breastfeeding Updated: Apr-15-16 8:01 am
BRIDGEVILLE, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania trampoline park says it has fired a worker who told a woman to stop breastfeeding her son.
- Group reports 41 new sex abuse cases in C.African Republic Updated: Apr-13-16 4:17 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.S.-based advocacy group that recently disclosed nearly 100 allegations of sexual abuse by international peacekeepers in Central African Republic said Wednesday the United Nations has documented 41 additional cases.
- Advocacy group files ballot measure to combat dark money Updated: Apr-12-16 9:11 pm
PHOENIX - A group seeking to reform campaign finance laws filed a proposed ballot measure Tuesday they say increases disclosure and limits the influence of lobbyists, special interests and anonymous political spending in Arizona politics.
- US, Goldman Sachs reach $5B settlement over risky mortgages Updated: Apr-11-16 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department on Monday announced a roughly $5 billion settlement with Goldman Sachs over the sale of mortgage-backed securities leading up to the 2008 financial crisis, with the government accusing the bank of misleading investors about the quality of its loans.
- Kansas governor signs juvenile justice reform bill Updated: Apr-11-16 3:58 pm
OLATHE, Kansas - As Gov. Sam Brownback signed a bill Monday overhauling the Kansas juvenile justice system, a Johnson County program the changes are partly based on is serving as a model for efforts to divert low-risk offenders from detention.
- Medicare payment plan on cancer drugs sparks furious battle Updated: Apr-10-16 8:20 am
WASHINGTON - A Medicare proposal to test new ways of paying for chemotherapy and other drugs given in a doctor's office has sparked a furious battle, and cancer doctors are demanding that the Obama administration scrap the experiment.
- Lawsuit against Gov. Christie over security spending tossed Updated: Apr-08-16 3:39 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A lawsuit from three advocacy groups against New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for using taxpayer dollars to pay for his security detail's costs as he ran for president has been dismissed.
- Complaint filed over death of elephant in Oklahoma City Zoo Updated: Apr-08-16 12:53 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - An animal advocacy group in Seattle has filed a complaint with the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiner's over the death of an Asian elephant at the Oklahoma City Zoo.