- Border Patrol parent agency issues custody standards Updated: Oct-05-15 7:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - The U.S. Border Patrol's parent agency on Monday issued nationwide custody standards, a little more than a year after its jails were overwhelmed with Central American children fleeing to the United States.
- UN human rights body passes Saudi proposal on Yemen Updated: Oct-02-15 11:11 am
GENEVA - A leading human rights advocacy group on Friday accused the top U.N. human rights body of failing to improve scrutiny of abuses in war-torn Yemen by approving a resolution presented by Saudi Arabia - a major participant in the conflict.
- Montana to open mental health facility in Galen Updated: Sep-29-15 7:08 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana plans to convert a private youth prison in Galen into a treatment facility for mentally ill inmates to relieve overcrowding five miles away at the Montana State Hospital in Warm Springs, officials with Gov. Steve Bullock's office said Tuesday.
- High court rules against advocacy group in open-records case Updated: Sep-24-15 1:37 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Weighing in on an open-records case involving some of Kentucky's most vulnerable residents, a divided state Supreme Court ruled Thursday that an advocacy group failed to qualify for access to documents related to the deaths of some people in the state's care.
- Reporters' group condemns charge against Turkish journalist Updated: Sep-24-15 11:50 am
ISTANBUL - A U.S.-based journalists' advocacy group has condemned charges filed against a Turkish columnist, saying they should be dropped immediately.
- New advocacy group formed to help prevent sexual assaults Updated: Sep-23-15 4:01 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Activists trying to fight Indiana's high rate of sexual assault announced a new publicly-funded organization that will work to prevent sexual assault Wednesday, roughly one year after a similar group was disbanded by a court-appointed manager because it was financially insolvent.
- Victim advocates seek Vatican inquiry into 2 US cardinals Updated: Sep-16-15 9:00 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Priests, nuns and canon lawyers who advocate for clergy sex abuse victims urged Pope Francis, on the eve of his U.S. visit, to investigate the child protection records of Cardinal Justin Rigali, the former archbishop of Philadelphia, and Cardinal Raymond Burke, who led dioceses in Wisconsin and Missouri.
- Gun-control advocates hope recent wins signal changing tide Updated: Sep-15-15 7:17 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - It's long been conventional wisdom that fighting for gun control is a good way to end a politician's career.
- Videos show staff restraining, isolating detained juveniles Updated: Sep-15-15 6:18 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Videos taken inside the state's two juvenile detention centers show staff members forcefully taking children down, subduing them and placing them alone in padded rooms.
- La Crosse marsh sites selected for wild rice growing project Updated: Sep-15-15 2:18 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - An advocacy group hopes to boost the wild rice growing in the La Crosse River marsh. Their goal is to improve habitat for migrating waterfowl and other wildlife that lives above and below the waterline.
- 'Foothold' trap regulation draws fire from advocacy groups Updated: Sep-12-15 11:38 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Environmental groups are challenging a new state regulation that has revived a debate over a 1980s-era law requiring the humane trapping of wildlife such as raccoons.
- Principal turnover costs Oklahoma district $1.2M a year Updated: Sep-10-15 3:10 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Data show that turnover among Oklahoma City school district principals is costing the system $1.2 million a year, according to a new report by an education advocacy group.