- Experts: Hacking probe will stretch if Cards execs involved Updated: Jul-03-15 3:00 am
HOUSTON - The federal hacking investigation of the St. Louis Cardinals could take longer if high-level executives are implicated in the breach of the Houston Astros' database, according to legal experts.
- Ore. man convicted in 32-year-old murder Updated: Jul-03-15 1:55 am
HILLSBORO, Oregon - An Oregon jury has convicted a St. Helens man in a 32-year-old murder that had gone unsolved until modern DNA testing linked him to the case.
- Virginia company creates image of Indiana girl's killer Updated: Jul-02-15 3:05 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A Virginia company has created a composite image of a suspect in the 1988 killing of an 8-year-old Fort Wayne girl using DNA evidence collected during the investigation.
- Montana autopsies to be outsourced to other states in July Updated: Jun-28-15 2:03 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Montana autopsies will have to be done in other states in the coming weeks because the state's only two forensic medical examiners qualified to assist county coroners are leaving.
- Topeka sperm donor submits DNA sample Updated: Jun-26-15 4:44 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Topeka man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple has submitted a DNA sample at the order of a court seeking to determine if he's their child's biological father.
- Ex-death row inmate appointed to Houston crime lab board Updated: Jun-25-15 2:33 pm
HOUSTON - A man who spent almost 20 years in prison, including 12 on death row, for killings he did not commit has been appointed to the board of Houston's crime lab.
- Bite-mark expert dismisses own testimony Updated: Jun-21-15 6:22 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The expert whose bite-mark evidence convinced a jury to put Eddie Lee Howard Jr. on Mississippi's death row now believes that such evidence should be tossed, and has felt so for years.
- GBI explores program to help fill medical examiner positions Updated: Jun-21-15 3:14 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - In an attempt to fill vacancies in its medical examiner system, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is exploring a fellowship program with the Medical College of Georgia.
- Kansas Supreme Court overturns DNA testing denial Updated: Jun-19-15 4:43 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday overturned a lower court's denial of a man's request to conduct DNA testing on crime scene evidence gathered after his wife's fatal beating in 1992.
- ESU master's program developer begins crime lab internship Updated: Jun-19-15 5:04 am
OLATHE, Kansas - An Emporia State University instructor working to develop the state's first master's degree program in forensics science is getting some real-world experience.
- SJC: Murder suspect's twin brother does not have to give DNA Updated: Jun-18-15 7:14 am
BOSTON - The highest court in Massachusetts has ruled that the twin brother of a man charged with killing a popular South Boston grandmother does not have to share his DNA profile.
- Pittsfield man freed pending SJC review of rape conviction Updated: Jun-18-15 7:05 am
PITTSFIELD, Massachusetts - A Pittsfield man who has spent more than a decade behind bars for a rape he says he did not commit has been freed while the state's highest court weighs his case.
- Police ID remains found in woods over 2 years ago Updated: Jun-15-15 4:49 pm
VERNON, Connecticut - Police have identified human remains found years ago in a wooded area using DNA.
- Facing 'peacekeeper babies,' UN now offers DNA testing Updated: Jun-13-15 11:08 am
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. peacekeepers arrive; months later, some leave infants behind. Now the United Nations has quietly started to offer DNA testing to help prove paternity claims and ensure support for the so-called "peacekeeper babies."
- College students in Ohio seek to solve murdered pigs mystery Updated: Jun-13-15 11:04 am
AKRON, Ohio - Sitting in a shallow grave and using a tongue depressor to scrape congealed fat off a foul-smelling pig carcass, University of Akron student Paige Dobbins is in hog heaven.
- Wisconsin DOJ quietly fired crime lab manager Updated: Jun-12-15 9:08 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Department of Justice quietly fired the Madison crime lab manager last summer for what agency officials called unsatisfactory work performance.
- San Francisco police to test old rape kits, clear backlog Updated: Jun-10-15 2:18 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The accumulation of evidence collected in San Francisco sexual assault investigations has been reviewed and will be lab tested by the end of the year, clearing a major pileup and allowing the city to join a handful of other metropolises - New York City, Cleveland and Houston - with no backlog.
- Body found in Greene County pond was George County man Updated: Jun-10-15 5:38 am
LUCEDALE, Mississippi - The dismembered remains of a man found in May in Greene County have been positively identified as that of missing George County resident Donovan Cowart.
- Death row inmate challenges evidence in new trial bid Updated: Jun-06-15 11:11 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A man sentenced to death in the rape and killing of an 82-year-old woman is pursuing a new trial by renewing a legal challenge on evidence from a bite mark on the victim that was used to convict him.