- Georgia inmate asks for new DNA testing in decades-old case Updated: Aug-25-15 6:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Georgia - A Georgia man who has spent nearly 40 years in prison for the rape and killing of a young German woman in her apartment has consistently maintained his innocence and is asking a judge to allow new DNA testing in the decades-old case.
- Judge sets hearing on DNA evidence in Ohio doctor's slaying Updated: Aug-25-15 8:16 am
AKRON, Ohio - An Ohio judge has scheduled a hearing to consider arguments about DNA evidence before deciding whether a former Akron police captain gets a new trial in the 1997 slaying of his ex-wife.
- Probe of Bangkok bombing recalls bad reputation of police Updated: Aug-25-15 6:01 am
BANGKOK - Investigating a crime with little forensic evidence, no clear motive and no claim of responsibility - like the Bangkok bombing that killed 20 people - would challenge anyone. Yet the Royal Thai Police department is handicapped even in the best of circumstances by a legacy of corruption, brutality and political influence.
- New DNA check leads detectives to man in custody Updated: Aug-24-15 1:31 pm
ONTARIO, California - Twenty-five years after a transvestite prostitute was found shot to death in Ontario, detectives say they have matched scientific evidence recovered from the crime scene to an Orange County man awaiting trial in another killing.
- 7 years after traffic death, family knows what happened Updated: Aug-23-15 3:49 pm
SAUCIER, Mississippi - Seven years after an unidentified man was hit by a car as he crossed U.S. 49 at night, the Harrison County Sheriff's Office knows who he was, and his family knows what happened to him.
- Monitor: Too many in jails awaiting competency services Updated: Aug-23-15 10:26 am
SEATTLE - Efforts by Washington state health officials to shorten the amount of time mentally ill people wait in jails for competency services are failing to keep up with a growing demand and urgent measures are needed to deal with the backlogs, according to a court-ordered monitor.
- Colorado Springs police debunk "CSI" myths Updated: Aug-22-15 3:05 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Compare real-life cops, jail and prison to shows like "CSI," ''NCIS" and "Orange is the New Black," and police will likely roll their eyes.
- Indiana lawmakers to consider expanding DNA testing Updated: Aug-19-15 5:20 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - After hearing testimony from a national advocate for DNA sampling, an Indiana legislative study panel is considering whether to recommend that state lawmakers take up a proposal to expand testing to any person arrested for a felony.
- ND lawmaker wants modernization of state's death probes Updated: Aug-18-15 6:11 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota should modernize its death investigation system and refrain from relying on non-medical personnel to act as coroners in counties across the state, a lawmaker said Tuesday.
- Investigators probing 2011 death of rural Missouri couple Updated: Aug-16-15 11:22 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Investigators are continuing to probe the 2011 deaths of a rural southwest Missouri couple, according to recently released court documents.
- Remains of unidentified victim sent to crime lab Updated: Aug-14-15 11:29 am
VIROQUA, Wisconsin - Advances in DNA technology and facial reconstruction could help investigators in Vernon County learn the identity of a homicide victim 31 years after her body was found along a rural road.
- Prosecutor: DNA tests lead to charges for 2 serial rapists Updated: Aug-14-15 3:34 am
CLEVELAND - Authorities say two Ohio men serving long prison terms for multiple sexual assaults have been indicted for additional rapes after DNA evidence tested by the Ohio Attorney General's Office linked them to other attacks.
- DNA proves President Harding fathered child out of wedlock Updated: Aug-13-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - DNA testing all but confirmed Thomas Jefferson slept with his slave Sally Hemings. Now it's rewriting another lurid chapter in presidential history, this one from the Roaring '20s.
- Utah police use DNA to ID man found shot 39 years ago Updated: Aug-13-15 5:57 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah police are reopening a cold case after DNA tests revealed the body of a young man found 39 years ago is a Colorado teenager who went missing.
- Court rules police can use volunteered DNA in other cases Updated: Aug-11-15 4:37 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland police can retain and use a person's legally obtained DNA to investigate unrelated criminal cases, the state's highest court ruled Tuesday.
- New DNA test will make New Jersey debut in murder case Updated: Aug-09-15 12:29 pm
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - The trial of a Wood-Ridge man accused of beating a woman to death and setting her body on fire will mark the first time that a jury in New Jersey will consider evidence in a murder case based on a "next generation" test that can analyze the DNA from just a few cells of biological material.
- Marshall hosting cell phone forensics workshop for police Updated: Aug-06-15 2:42 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Marshall University says law enforcement officials from as far away as Kansas are attending a workshop on cellphone forensics.
- Grady giving police 1,000 packages of sex crime evidence Updated: Jul-31-15 11:10 am
ATLANTA - The state's largest public hospital is sending a police laboratory more than 1,000 packages containing sex crime evidence that it had stored since 2000.