- South Dakota murder convict won't get new trial Updated: Mar-11-14 8:16 am
- W.Va. Legislature passes bill to monitor evidence Updated: Mar-09-14 1:32 am
- Oklahoma House rejects bill to expand DNA database Updated: Mar-05-14 5:16 pm
- Cold case suspect found dead days after being ID'd Updated: Mar-05-14 4:16 pm
- Report cites rash of problems at Mass. drug lab Updated: Mar-04-14 3:17 pm
- Wounded warriors take on child pornographers Updated: Mar-01-14 1:04 am
- Virginia's western forensics lab begins expansion Updated: Feb-28-14 8:12 am
- W.Va. Senate approves raises for State Lab workers Updated: Feb-26-14 4:49 pm
- Wyo. Senate defeats "Katie's Law," DNA test bill Updated: Feb-24-14 4:51 pm
- Convicted killer seeks retest of DNA evidence Updated: Feb-23-14 4:26 pm
- SC man sentenced in cold case Va. rape Updated: Feb-23-14 12:52 pm
- Bills seek to tackle backlog of untested rape kits Updated: Feb-23-14 11:34 am
- Central Ga. college opens digital forensics lab Updated: Feb-23-14 9:22 am
- Miss. man pleads guilty in 1992 Ind. killing Updated: Feb-21-14 2:19 pm
- DNA testing ordered in 40-year-old Omaha rape case Updated: Feb-21-14 1:37 pm
- South Africa to fight crime with new DNA law Updated: Feb-21-14 9:25 am
- Vt. lawmakers considering cold case investigator Updated: Feb-19-14 3:37 pm
- Maine convicted killer loses bid for DNA tests Updated: Feb-18-14 10:10 pm
- State handwriting analysis unit quietly shuttered Updated: Feb-15-14 7:43 pm
- Freckles help ID woman who died in Texas in 1980 Updated: Feb-15-14 3:53 pm
- WVU prof follows footsteps in forensics research Updated: Feb-14-14 3:16 am
- Utah lawmakers advance DNA felony arrest bill Updated: Feb-13-14 3:32 pm
- Fremont coroner suggests forensic pathologist hire Updated: Feb-12-14 12:52 pm
- NM forensic experts to be honored for work Updated: Feb-12-14 5:06 am
- Mass. legal group says labs need more oversight Updated: Feb-10-14 4:10 pm
MITCHELL, South Dakota - A man convicted of murder in a slaying in South Dakota nearly 30 years ago will not get a new trial, despite new DNA evidence that concluded he was not the source of two hair samples taken from the victim.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Legislation to regulate and improve the training of nurses who collect forensic evidence in sexual assault cases was passed by West Virginia Legislature.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A plan to force people arrested for certain crimes to submit DNA samples for a law enforcement database was rejected Wednesday by the Oklahoma House, despite an emotional plea from the bill's author about a brutal Oklahoma murder solved because of the database.
FAIRFIELD, California - A cold case murder suspect identified through fingerprint and DNA evidence was found dead days after learning that he'd been linked to the crime.
BOSTON - A chemist who admitted faking test results in criminal cases was the "sole bad actor" in a scandal that forced the shutdown of a state drug lab in Boston, but the facility also was plagued by management failures, inadequate training and a lack of protocols, a report released Tuesday found.
TAMPA, Florida - Men who have seen and suffered the horrors of combat steel themselves each day for a job some find just as wrenching: fighting child sex crimes back home.
ROANOKE, Virginia - Construction is under way on a state facility in Roanoke County that will more than double the amount of space available to the region's forensic scientists and medical examiners.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia Senate has voted to increase State Police Forensic Laboratory employee salaries by 30 percent.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Wyoming Senate has shot down a bill that would have required DNA testing of people charged with a felony.
TACOMA, Washington - A man serving life in prison for the 1996 rape and murder of a 9-year-old girl is seeking to retest DNA evidence that helped convict him.
WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia - A South Carolina man convicted of a 2001 rape in Virginia has been sentenced to 33 years in prison.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - With possibly hundreds of thousands of rape kits untested across the country, a number of states are proposing legislation to address backlogs that in at least one case dates back nearly three decades.
MACON, Georgia - Last year, Middle Georgia State College digital forensics students toured the GBI forensics laboratory in Atlanta. And now the college has opened a state-of-the-art laboratory of its own.
PERU, Indiana - A Mississippi man arrested in 2012 after DNA testing linked him to an Indiana woman's 1992 slaying has pleaded guilty in her death.
OMAHA, Nebraska - A man convicted of rape nearly four decades ago should be allowed to seek new DNA testing, the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled Friday, upholding an earlier Nebraska Court of Appeals ruling.
JOHANNESBURG - It took a distraught Lindie Mdluli several days to summon the courage to go to a South African police station after she was raped in 2007. When she got there, Mdluli says that police officers didn't discuss the kind of investigative DNA work that she had seen on television detective shows.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont police are supporting a new bill in the state legislature that would establish a force dedicated to cold cases to restart old investigations and potentially give families of victims of unsolved murders some of the answers they are looking for.
PORTLAND, Maine - A divided state supreme court on Tuesday rejected a request to order additional DNA tests on behalf of a convicted killer who claims they could show someone else shot to death his ex-girlfriend and a toddler she was baby-sitting.
PORTLAND, Oregon - The troubled state unit that analyzed handwriting in criminal cases quietly shut down more than a year ago after police discovered two of its examiners committed a serious error in a suspected murder-for-hire case.
HOUSTON - Three freckles in a childhood photo were used to identify a Michigan woman who went missing in 1979 and was killed a few months later in a hit-and-run crash in Texas, the Houston Chronicle reported Saturday.
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - A forensic science professor at West Virginia University is putting some sole into her research.
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah lawmakers have given early approval to a proposal requiring police to take DNA samples from people they arrest on suspicion of felony.
LANDER, Wyoming - The coroner in Fremont County is recommending that the county hire a forensic pathologist.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Three experts with the state forensic laboratory will be honored for their work in the case of an Arizona fugitive convicted of killing a retired Oklahoma couple while on the run.
BOSTON - The state could face another drug lab crisis if it doesn't put significant reforms in place, including the creation of an independent audit process, the Boston Bar Association said in a report released Monday.