- The Latest: Lawmaker seeks November marijuana referendum Updated: May-05-16 5:44 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Latest on Vermont Legislature (all times local):
- Feds seek DNA samples to investigate thefts of 130 guns Updated: May-05-16 3:41 pm
ATLANTA - Federal authorities are seeking a DNA sample - along with hair samples and fingerprints - from at least one suspect as they continue investigating the theft of 130 guns from firearms dealers in several Georgia cities.
- Urbana officers hope crime lab can help solve 1988 cold case Updated: May-04-16 3:22 pm
URBANA, Illinois - Local detectives say they have found evidence that hadn't been sent for testing in the 1988 cold case stabbing of a University of Illinois veterinary student.
- Concerns raised about backlogs at crime labs across Texas Updated: May-03-16 12:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Mark Norwood, sentenced to life in prison for the infamous 1986 slaying of Christine Morton, was to face a jury last September in the similar killing of Debra Baker.
- Finding remains of missing women required exhaustive search Updated: May-02-16 10:32 am
HOUSTON - Shovels and flashlights in hand on a night in mid-February, investigators restarted the search nearly two decades after the girls went missing.
- Louisiana investigators seek identity of decayed corpse Updated: May-01-16 4:09 pm
MONTEREY, Louisiana - Investigators are trying to determine whether a corpse found Friday is the body of a missing Concordia Parish man.
- The Latest: New tests unravel Phoenix freeway shooting case Updated: May-01-16 2:59 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on the dismissal of charges in the Phoenix freeway shooting case (all times local):
- Report: Heart condition didn't cause man's death in custody Updated: Apr-29-16 5:07 pm
BALTIMORE - A man who died after a struggle with Baltimore police officers in 2013 died because he couldn't breathe, and not because of a heart condition as the department's independent review board concluded, according to a new forensic review of his autopsy.
- The Latest: Competency hearing ends for day without ruling Updated: Apr-28-16 7:18 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The latest on a mental competency hearing for a man who acknowledges killing three people at a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic: (All times local)
- NY court says DNA evidence requires analyst trial testimony Updated: Apr-28-16 12:56 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's highest court ruled Thursday that DNA evidence presented by prosecutors must be accompanied at trial by at least one analyst involved in the critical stages of its processing or who independently analyzed the raw data.
- Bergen judge to hear cases involving tainted forensic lab Updated: Apr-26-16 5:16 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A judge in Bergen County has been named to consider cases that were handled by a northern New Jersey forensic lab accused of shoddy work.
- Human skull, bone found in ditch at Berkeley national lab Updated: Apr-26-16 12:10 am
BERKELEY, California - Authorities say identifying a human skull and a bone found last week on the property of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has proved difficult.
- DNA test orders for man who says he's Johnny Tapia's dad Updated: Apr-22-16 11:24 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A man who says he is the biological father of the late boxer Johnny Tapia will need a DNA test to prove it.
- Ohio judge hears arguments on wiretaps in 1992 slaying probe Updated: Apr-21-16 12:34 am
LEBANON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio judge will rule later on whether wiretaps can be used as evidence in the murder trial of an Arizona man arrested last year in a 1992 slaying.
- Man charged in 2002 killing of Carlsbad woman Updated: Apr-20-16 8:24 pm
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - Authorities say they have arrested a man in the killing of a woman who was found shot 13 years ago in an alfalfa field east of Carlsbad.
- Coroner: Man found dead in Metairie canal identified Updated: Apr-20-16 8:56 am
METAIRIE, Louisiana - The Jefferson Parish coroner's office has identified the man whose body was found floating in the middle of a Metairie drainage canal.
- Norwalk police reopen 1975 homicide of 74-year-old man Updated: Apr-18-16 8:18 am
NORWALK, Connecticut - Norwalk police have reopened an unsolved 1975 homicide.
- Court sets arguments in condemned killer's DNA test appeal Updated: Apr-16-16 9:55 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has scheduled arguments in an appeal involving a death row inmate who sought DNA testing on a cigarette butt found near the scene of the 1990 double murder that led to his sentence.
- Prosecutor: White officer shot black man in self-defense Updated: Apr-13-16 2:09 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A white North Carolina officer acted in self-defense and won't face charges for shooting a black man in a case that sparked outcry in his predominantly black neighborhood, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
- CSI for animals: Forensic vets battle pet abuse, neglect Updated: Apr-12-16 10:17 am
NEW YORK - The cocker spaniel arrives to the animal hospital with a police officer, whimpering and shaking. He has a pus-filled pink socket for a left eye and is so skinny his spine and ribs show through his caramel-colored fur.
- Virginia officials hope facial sculptures solve mysteries Updated: Apr-09-16 10:49 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Their identities are a mystery: the remains of eight people found dead in Virginia between 1972 and 2014, two of them victims of a double murder nearly three decades ago.
- Anglican leader says DNA tests have revealed his real father Updated: Apr-09-16 6:21 am
LONDON - The archbishop of Canterbury says DNA tests have identified his real father, but the revelation hasn't shaken his sense of identity.
- NY medical examiner who oversaw office on 9/11 dies at 79 Updated: Apr-08-16 8:57 pm
NEW YORK - Dr. Charles Hirsch, who oversaw the city medical examiner's office for more than two decades and whose staff helped identify the remains of Sept. 11 victims, has died. He was 79.
- Exonerated man released from Virginia prison after 33 years Updated: Apr-08-16 3:39 pm
BURKEVILLE, Virginia - As he walked into the Virginia sun after spending 33 years in prison for crimes authorities now say he didn't commit, the fact that his parents weren't there to see him become a free man weighed heavily on Keith Allen Harward's mind.
- Michigan apartment complex using DNA to identify dog feces Updated: Apr-07-16 3:50 pm
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A high-end apartment community near Grand Rapids plans to use DNA technology as a way to sniff out dog owners who fail to pick up their pets' feces.