- Officer injured during traffic stop to return to duty soon Updated: May-25-15 4:10 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Wagner police officer knocked unconscious during a traffic stop on Friday says he hopes to return to duty within a week.
- Trial set for ex-Bullhead City officer in sex assault case Updated: May-24-15 6:14 am
KINGMAN, Arizona - A former Bullhead City police sergeant will go to trial on sexual assault charges in December.
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police Updated: May-23-15 6:06 pm
LISBON, Portugal - The two young sons of a Benfica fan who was beaten by a police officer helped the team celebrate its recently won Portuguese league title on Saturday.
- Newport News police subdue suspect after officer assaulted Updated: May-23-15 4:40 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Police in Newport News say they used a Taser to subdue a man accused of stealing a truck and trying to choke an officer.
- Man hit by Portuguese policeman alleges aggravated assault Updated: May-22-15 7:02 am
LISBON, Portugal - A Portuguese soccer fan who was beaten by a police officer in front of his two young sons outside a stadium has filed a complaint accusing the officer of aggravated physical assault, his lawyer said Friday.
- Prosecutor: 6 officers indicted in death of Freddie Gray Updated: May-21-15 8:33 pm
BALTIMORE - A grand jury indicted all six officers charged in the case of Freddie Gray, who died of injuries he suffered in police custody, allowing the state's attorney to press ahead with the most serious charges despite criticism that she was part of an "overzealous prosecution."
- Correction: Police Torture-Commission story Updated: May-21-15 7:37 pm
CHICAGO - In a story May 20 about a decision by the Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Jackie Wilson is serving a life prison term in the deaths of two police officers in 1982. He is serving time for killing just one of them, Officer Richard O'Brien.
- Report: Denver sheriff's problems endanger inmates, deputies Updated: May-21-15 6:22 pm
DENVER - The safety of inmates and deputies in Denver jails is at risk because of problems at nearly every level of the Sheriff's Department, according to a report that the mayor ordered after several deaths and beatings.
- NYC hammer suspect charged with assault from hospital bed Updated: May-20-15 4:07 pm
NEW YORK - A mentally ill man who randomly attacked three people with a hammer and was later shot after he struck a New York City police officer with the tool in midtown Manhattan was charged Wednesday with assault and criminal possession of a weapon, authorities said.
- Amnesty International warns over torture practice in Morocco Updated: May-19-15 10:49 am
RABAT, Morocco - Moroccan authorities still use torture widely despite a ban on the practice, the Amnesty International rights group said in a report Tuesday documenting the abuse.
- Police officer charged with assaulting suspect starts trial Updated: May-19-15 6:20 am
BRENTWOOD, New Hampshire - A police officer who was fired after he was caught on tape roughing up a suspect at police headquarters in Seabrook, New Hampshire, is facing trial.
- Report on Tennessee officer assaults shows decline in 2014 Updated: May-19-15 4:02 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says the number of law enforcement officers in the state who were attacked declined in 2014 from the year before.
- Ex-St. Louis police employee accused of sex assault of girls Updated: May-19-15 2:45 am
ST. LOUIS - A former human resources director for St. Louis police has been charged with child molestation and rape.
- German policeman investigated on allegations he abused 2 Updated: May-18-15 11:30 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors said Monday they are investigating allegations that a police officer abused two 19-year-old immigrants while they were in custody and boasted about it on social media.
- Officer arrested, accused of hindering murder investigation Updated: May-15-15 4:24 pm
JACKSON, New Jersey - Authorities say a Jackson police officer has been taken into custody after he interfered in the murder investigation of a man found shot to death at a restaurant.
- Las Cruces DA will review investigation of reported beating Updated: May-15-15 3:01 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Las Cruces officials are reviewing an independent investigation conducted after claims that a man was beaten in a holding cell at the Las Cruces Police Department.
- Pine Lawn officer on leave during assault investigation Updated: May-15-15 8:39 am
PINE LAWN, Missouri - A police officer in Pine Lawn has been placed on administrative leave amid an investigation into accusations that the officer used excessive force against a resident of the St. Louis County town.
- No charges for white Illinois officer who killed black teen Updated: May-14-15 9:10 pm
WAUKEGAN, Illinois - A prosecutor said Thursday that he won't charge a white northeastern Illinois police officer in the fatal shooting of a black 17-year-old, saying the fleeing teen was holding a loaded handgun and that the officer feared for his life and a fellow officer's.
- Rights group: China police use torture despite legal reforms Updated: May-13-15 6:08 am
BEIJING - Police abuse of criminal suspects to extract confessions in China is a serious problem despite measures to reform the legal system, such as moves to exclude evidence obtained through torture, Human Rights Watch said in a report Wednesday.
- Officer's son charged with killing his father and brother Updated: May-12-15 5:46 pm
BUFFALO, Minnesota - The son of an Elk River police officer who is charged with fatally shooting his father and brother told a dispatcher he "just lost it" and killed the two, according to a criminal complaint filed in Wright County.
- Maryland governor signs police accountability laws Updated: May-12-15 3:28 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed legislation Tuesday aimed at increasing police accountability during a ceremony that had been delayed because of Baltimore riots after the death of a man injured while in police custody.
- Officer's son accused of killing him and defendant's brother Updated: May-12-15 11:41 am
BUFFALO, Minnesota - The son of an Elk River police officer is accused of killing his father and brother in Wright County.
- Group of mothers marches against police brutality in DC Updated: May-09-15 2:31 pm
WASHINGTON - A group of mothers is marching in Washington to protest police brutality, saying "Stop Killing Our Children."
- DC officer accused of beating wife acquitted in second trial Updated: May-08-15 12:36 pm
UPPER MARLBORO, Maryland - A Prince George's County jury has acquitted a D.C. police officer accused of trying to kill his wife.
- Video shows white officer kicking black man in face Updated: May-08-15 1:25 am
DOVER, Delaware - A police dashcam video released Thursday shows a black suspect being kicked in the face by a white police officer who was charged this week with assault.