- Williston police officer knocked out during traffic stop Updated: May-29-15 9:08 am
WILLISTON, North Dakota - Williston police say an officer was knocked unconscious during a traffic stop earlier this month.
- Trial delayed for Ala officer accused of abusing Indian man Updated: May-29-15 6:32 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - A federal judge is delaying the trial of an Alabama police officer accused of roughing up an Indian grandfather.
- Baltimore gets bloodier as arrests drop post-Freddie Gray Updated: May-28-15 10:43 pm
BALTIMORE - A 31-year-old woman and a young boy were shot in the head Thursday, becoming Baltimore's 37th and 38th homicide victims so far this month, the city's deadliest in 15 years.
- Detroit-area officer to stand trial for driver's beating Updated: May-28-15 5:51 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A police officer seen on video repeatedly punching a motorist in the head during a traffic stop was ordered to stand trial on assault charges Thursday, and the driver's lawyers announced a nearly $1.4 million settlement with a Detroit suburb over the beating.
- Sophia asks judge to dismiss police brutality lawsuit Updated: May-28-15 7:35 am
BECKLEY, West Virginia - Sophia and a town police officer have asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit alleging the officer beat a handcuffed man during an arrest.
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing was lying low in Mexico Updated: May-27-15 8:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - A fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man while off-duty evaded authorities for more than two months by moving between the homes of family members in Mexico, staying mostly indoors and avoiding cellphones and social media, the FBI said Wednesday.
- Sex charges dropped in New Jersey against New York cop Updated: May-27-15 6:59 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Charges have been dismissed against a New York City police officer accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Atlantic City last year.
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing arrested in Mexico Updated: May-26-15 8:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Police in northern Mexico have arrested a fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man during an off-duty fight in California.
- Off-duty Prince George's officer charged with murder Updated: May-26-15 5:47 pm
WALDORF, Maryland - An off-duty police officer from Prince George's County was charged with murder after police said a child custody dispute led to a fatal shooting at a fast-food restaurant in Maryland.
- New Mexico prosecutors to seek charges against ex-officers Updated: May-26-15 2:53 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - New Mexico prosecutors announced Tuesday they will ask a grand jury to indict two former Las Cruces police officers recently fired following an investigation into an alleged incident of police brutality.
- Officer injured during traffic stop to return to duty soon Updated: May-25-15 4:10 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Wagner police officer knocked unconscious during a traffic stop on Friday says he hopes to return to duty within a week.
- Trial set for ex-Bullhead City officer in sex assault case Updated: May-24-15 6:14 am
KINGMAN, Arizona - A former Bullhead City police sergeant will go to trial on sexual assault charges in December.
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police Updated: May-23-15 6:06 pm
LISBON, Portugal - The two young sons of a Benfica fan who was beaten by a police officer helped the team celebrate its recently won Portuguese league title on Saturday.
- Newport News police subdue suspect after officer assaulted Updated: May-23-15 4:40 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Police in Newport News say they used a Taser to subdue a man accused of stealing a truck and trying to choke an officer.
- Man hit by Portuguese policeman alleges aggravated assault Updated: May-22-15 7:02 am
LISBON, Portugal - A Portuguese soccer fan who was beaten by a police officer in front of his two young sons outside a stadium has filed a complaint accusing the officer of aggravated physical assault, his lawyer said Friday.
- Prosecutor: 6 officers indicted in death of Freddie Gray Updated: May-21-15 8:33 pm
BALTIMORE - A grand jury indicted all six officers charged in the case of Freddie Gray, who died of injuries he suffered in police custody, allowing the state's attorney to press ahead with the most serious charges despite criticism that she was part of an "overzealous prosecution."
- Correction: Police Torture-Commission story Updated: May-21-15 7:37 pm
CHICAGO - In a story May 20 about a decision by the Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Jackie Wilson is serving a life prison term in the deaths of two police officers in 1982. He is serving time for killing just one of them, Officer Richard O'Brien.
- Report: Denver sheriff's problems endanger inmates, deputies Updated: May-21-15 6:22 pm
DENVER - The safety of inmates and deputies in Denver jails is at risk because of problems at nearly every level of the Sheriff's Department, according to a report that the mayor ordered after several deaths and beatings.
- NYC hammer suspect charged with assault from hospital bed Updated: May-20-15 4:07 pm
NEW YORK - A mentally ill man who randomly attacked three people with a hammer and was later shot after he struck a New York City police officer with the tool in midtown Manhattan was charged Wednesday with assault and criminal possession of a weapon, authorities said.
- Amnesty International warns over torture practice in Morocco Updated: May-19-15 10:49 am
RABAT, Morocco - Moroccan authorities still use torture widely despite a ban on the practice, the Amnesty International rights group said in a report Tuesday documenting the abuse.
- Police officer charged with assaulting suspect starts trial Updated: May-19-15 6:20 am
BRENTWOOD, New Hampshire - A police officer who was fired after he was caught on tape roughing up a suspect at police headquarters in Seabrook, New Hampshire, is facing trial.
- Report on Tennessee officer assaults shows decline in 2014 Updated: May-19-15 4:02 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says the number of law enforcement officers in the state who were attacked declined in 2014 from the year before.
- Ex-St. Louis police employee accused of sex assault of girls Updated: May-19-15 2:45 am
ST. LOUIS - A former human resources director for St. Louis police has been charged with child molestation and rape.
- German policeman investigated on allegations he abused 2 Updated: May-18-15 11:30 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors said Monday they are investigating allegations that a police officer abused two 19-year-old immigrants while they were in custody and boasted about it on social media.
- Officer arrested, accused of hindering murder investigation Updated: May-15-15 4:24 pm
JACKSON, New Jersey - Authorities say a Jackson police officer has been taken into custody after he interfered in the murder investigation of a man found shot to death at a restaurant.