- Awaiting redistricting decision, lawmakers plan hearings Updated: Feb-12-16 7:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina legislative leaders unveiled Friday a speedy schedule to redraw congressional boundaries should the U.S. Supreme Court refuse to block a lower-court decision requiring a new map be approved by next week.
- As nominee faces heat, Maine governor picks himself instead Updated: Feb-11-16 6:35 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Gov. Paul LePage figured Democrats would shoot down his choice for education commissioner, so he withdrew the nomination. And on Thursday, he named himself to lead the department instead.
- Hearing focuses on proposed ban on some animal products Updated: Feb-11-16 6:03 pm
BOSTON - While both critics and supporters of a proposed ban on the sale of food products from farms that keep animals in overly restrictive cages say the measure would likely raise egg prices in Massachusetts, supporters contend consumers would barely notice the increases.
- Panel denies parole to Sirhan, assassin of Robert F. Kennedy Updated: Feb-10-16 10:05 pm
SAN DIEGO - Sirhan Sirhan was denied parole Wednesday for fatally shooting Robert F. Kennedy after a confidante of the slain senator who was shot in the head forgave him and repeatedly apologized for not doing more to win his release.
- The Latest: Assassin of Robert Kennedy denied parole Updated: Feb-10-16 6:08 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on the parole hearing for Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert F. Kennedy (all times local):
- Kansas senate bill would restrict habitat protections Updated: Feb-10-16 5:51 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Threatened and endangered species in Kansas would see their protected habitats greatly shrink under a proposal that would change how those habitats are designated, a conservationist warned a Senate committee Wednesday.
- Abortion bill set for Arizona Senate hearings Updated: Feb-10-16 2:25 pm
PHOENIX - A bill targeting Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers is set for a hearing before an Arizona Senate committee, but a second abortion-related piece of in the Senate legislation will not be heard this week.
- Lottery bills get first discussion in Alabama Legislature Updated: Feb-10-16 10:11 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lottery legislation is getting its first debate in the Alabama Legislature.
- Wolf board refuses to answer Idaho lawmaker's question Updated: Feb-10-16 8:01 am
BOISE, Idaho - An Idaho board in charge of killing problem wolves kept information from a state senator during a recent budget hearing.
- NY lawmakers question shifting CUNY costs from state to NYC Updated: Feb-09-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Some state lawmakers are questioning Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposal to shift $485 million of City University of New York costs from the state to New York City.
- 4 Vermont judges face retention votes Updated: Feb-08-16 4:00 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A special legislative committee will take public testimony this week on whether four Vermont judges should be given new terms.
- Legislative panel to hold hearings on judge reappointments Updated: Feb-07-16 10:05 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A legislative committee will hold public hearings on whether to reappoint more than 30 state judges to additional eight-year terms.
- Senators grill personnel office nominee over data hack Updated: Feb-04-16 2:48 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's nominee to head the Office of Personnel Management on Thursday promised to strengthen the agency's cybersecurity and information technology systems after what's believed to be the largest data breach in U.S. history.
- Senate committee passes measures targeting immigrants Updated: Feb-03-16 2:51 pm
PHOENIX - Republican lawmakers want stiffer penalties for Arizona cities that skirt federal immigration laws and for immigrants who break the law while in the country illegally.
- Idaho Senate panel listens to Medicaid expansion hearing Updated: Feb-02-16 8:39 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Legislature's first-ever hearing on expanding Medicaid eligibility attracted hundreds of supporters eager to testify in favor Tuesday, but lawmakers declined to vote on whether to send the measure forward after listening to a handful of testimonies.
- Kansas senators consider overhauling juvenile justice system Updated: Feb-02-16 6:53 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Community-based services helped Cherrie Reynolds' adopted son avoid juvenile detention, the mother from Atchison told legislators Tuesday, the second day of a Senate committee hearing on a bill that would overhaul the juvenile justice system.
- Bill would let rape victims testify by closed circuit TV Updated: Feb-01-16 7:38 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Rape victims could be allowed to give testimony against their alleged attackers through a video recording, closed-circuit television or behind a two-way mirror under a bill that received its first committee approval Monday.
- Senate considers bill protecting same-sex marriage objectors Updated: Feb-01-16 3:11 pm
ATLANTA - A powerful Georgia Senate committee discussed but took no action Monday on a contentious bill allowing religious adoption agencies, schools, government workers and others to refuse services to same-sex couples without being penalized.
- Legislature cancels hearings, debate Tuesday for snowstorm Updated: Feb-01-16 11:30 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Nebraska Legislature has canceled all of its hearings and debate on Tuesday in anticipation of a blizzard that's expected to dump 8 inches of snow on Lincoln.
- Bipartisan probe faults gov't with migrant child abuse Updated: Jan-28-16 4:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Migrant children in the government's care fell prey to human trafficking after the Health and Human Services Department failed to protect them, according to a bipartisan congressional investigation released Thursday.
- Senate panel passes reversal of transgender bathroom rule Updated: Jan-27-16 10:55 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A bill that would eliminate Washington's new rule allowing transgender people to use bathrooms and locker rooms in public buildings consistent with their gender identity passed out of a Senate committee 4-3 Wednesday.
- Missouri lawmakers consider concealed weapons in colleges Updated: Jan-27-16 6:53 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers have begun discussing whether colleges and universities must allow people to carry concealed weapons on campus.
- Indiana House panel backs bill limiting environmental rules Updated: Jan-27-16 3:50 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Legislation that would prohibit Indiana state agencies from enacting tougher environmental rules and standards than the federal government narrowly won the backing of a state House committee on Wednesday following a discussion that invoked the water crisis in Flint, Michigan.
- Manchester police chief testifies at congressional hearing Updated: Jan-27-16 12:12 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Manchester's police chief has testified at a congressional hearing in Washington on the opioid abuse epidemic in New Hampshire.
- Walker permanent fund plan gets 1st hearing by Senate panel Updated: Jan-26-16 10:32 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The chairman of the Senate State Affairs Committee said Tuesday that he wants to vet several ideas surrounding the use of Alaska Permanent Fund earnings.