- The Latest: Congressman harmed by VW cheat Updated: Oct-08-15 1:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the congressional hearing on Volkswagen's emissions-rigging (all times local):
- VW executive: Any fix for car owners could take year or more Updated: Oct-08-15 12:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's top U.S. executive apologized Thursday as the emissions-rigging scandal engulfing the world's largest automaker deepened and members of Congress said the company violated the public's trust.
- Civil service bill supporters say it will strengthen system Updated: Oct-06-15 5:29 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - State workers testified Tuesday against a Republican-backed bill that would make it easier to hire and fire public employees, saying the proposed overhaul of Wisconsin's 110-year-old civil service system would lead to political patronage and cronyism.
- Legislators to hold hearing on blaze pink hunting garb Updated: Oct-01-15 5:25 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The bill that would legalize blaze pink clothing for hunters is set for a public hearing in Madison.
- Utah governor testifying before Congress on Wednesday Updated: Sep-30-15 11:02 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Gov. Gary Herbert is testifying before a congressional committee about federal oversight of natural resources in the states.
- Beacon Hill lawmakers to hold hearing on environmental bills Updated: Sep-27-15 11:55 am
BOSTON - Massachusetts lawmakers are holding a public hearing on more than two dozen environmental bills at the Statehouse this week.
- Nebraska oil commission praised, panned at hearing Updated: Sep-23-15 11:48 am
SIDNEY, Nebraska - Critics and supporters aired diverging views at a legislative hearing in Sidney about a state agency's approval of an oil production wastewater site.
- Tennessee lawmakers plan hearings on VW emissions scandal Updated: Sep-22-15 8:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Lawmakers in Tennessee plan to hold hearings over whether the Volkswagen emissions scandal could imperil the nearly $900 million in state and local incentives that have been directed toward the German automaker's lone U.S. plant in Chattanooga.
- Things to know about Wisconsin GOP's fetal tissue ban bill Updated: Sep-22-15 4:24 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republicans moved forward with a bill that would outlaw research on tissue from aborted fetuses, holding another public hearing on the measure Tuesday even though lawmakers have yet to announce a compromise that would win the votes to get the proposal through both the state Assembly and Senate. Here are things to know about the measure:
- Mississippi lawmakers hearing agencies' FY17 budget requests Updated: Sep-21-15 7:27 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi lawmakers are being asked to spend millions more dollars on education, Medicaid, mental health and other state services for the coming year.
- Lawmakers to hold hearing on genetically modified food bill Updated: Sep-19-15 3:30 pm
BOSTON - State lawmakers are planning to hear from the public this week on a bill that would require that all foods sold in Massachusetts containing genetically engineered ingredients be clearly labeled.
- New pipeline safety rule pending after increase in accidents Updated: Sep-18-15 4:36 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A long-delayed rule to strengthen safety requirements for pipelines that move oil and other hazardous liquids will be unveiled this month following a recent surge in accidents, the U.S. government's pipeline safety administrator said Friday.
- Officials laud preschool, but urge caution on any expansion Updated: Sep-16-15 3:19 pm
BOSTON - Top education officials in Gov. Charlie Baker's administration said Wednesday that preschool classes were critical to narrowing a stubborn achievement gap in Massachusetts schools, but they cautioned lawmakers that expanding early childhood education too rapidly could sacrifice quality for quantity.
- Board revokes medical license of former candidate Bosworth Updated: Sep-10-15 10:46 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A South Dakota medical board voted Thursday to revoke former Republican U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth's medical license after weighing her felony conviction for election law violations.
- Lawmaker: Port Authority reforms would prevent favor trading Updated: Sep-10-15 3:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers shined a spotlight Thursday on possible corruption at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey that touches a former agency executive who is also an ally of White House contender Gov. Chris Christie.
- GOP lawmakers to hold hearing on report of student's arrest Updated: Sep-10-15 1:55 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Two state lawmakers want to know why a police report into the bloody arrest of a University of Virginia student by alcohol control agents cannot be made public.
- Hearing on consent decrees delves into budget blame Updated: Sep-08-15 3:08 pm
CHICAGO - An Illinois Senate hearing on payments to social service providers through court orders has delved more into finger pointing over why there isn't a state budget.
- Paula Radcliffe denies that she ever resorted to doping Updated: Sep-08-15 1:17 pm
LONDON - Paula Radcliffe, a three-time London Marathon winner and holder of the world record for the distance, denied Tuesday that she ever used performance-enhancing drugs and said she was "devastated" that her name had been linked to allegations of widespread blood doping in track and field.
- Lawmaker asks IDEM to hold public hearing on proposed quarry Updated: Sep-08-15 8:44 am
LOWELL, Indiana - An Indiana state senator wants the Indiana Department of Environmental Management to hold a public hearing on a proposed limestone quarry in northwestern Indiana.