- Convicted ex-Va. lawmaker says he remains upbeat Updated: Mar-09-14 3:29 pm
- General Assembly adjourns without Va. budget Updated: Mar-09-14 8:53 am
- W.Va. cuts meth lab clean-ups from victims' fund Updated: Mar-09-14 1:47 am
- Ex-Trenton mayor wants his conviction dismissed Updated: Mar-08-14 2:31 pm
- Ex-trader convicted of defrauding bailout program Updated: Mar-07-14 5:41 pm
- Trial approaches for former Ala. Senate leader Updated: Mar-07-14 4:12 pm
- Trial delayed for Ohio lawmaker charged with fraud Updated: Mar-07-14 12:11 pm
- Scandals prompt ethics bills from Senate Democrats Updated: Mar-06-14 8:19 pm
- Indicted former Ala. senator cites AG's payments Updated: Mar-06-14 6:27 pm
- Former Arizona House Speaker Joe Lane dies Updated: Mar-06-14 5:00 pm
- Congress members seek US probe of petcoke safety Updated: Mar-05-14 9:07 pm
- Vietnam sends blogger to prison for critical posts Updated: Mar-04-14 5:28 am
- Idaho lawmaker asks to have own ethics examined Updated: Mar-03-14 5:08 pm
- Judge refuses to delay Malcolm Smith's NY trial Updated: Mar-03-14 1:58 pm
- California lawmaker accused of corruption on leave Updated: Mar-03-14 12:16 am
- Ex-North NJ political leader sentenced for bribery Updated: Mar-01-14 12:00 pm
- Chicago alderman's chief of staff charged Updated: Feb-28-14 8:59 pm
- Pressler 'American Hustle' ad to air during Oscars Updated: Feb-28-14 5:04 pm
- Corrupt RI ex-mayor freed after year in prison Updated: Feb-28-14 4:12 pm
- McDonnell lawyers want specifics on charges Updated: Feb-28-14 1:44 pm
- Chicago-area firm president indicted for fraud Updated: Feb-28-14 12:47 pm
- Ethics board fines former St. Louis politician Updated: Feb-28-14 10:02 am
- Ind. House backs tougher penalties for gun crimes Updated: Feb-28-14 5:37 am
- Ethics clean-up bills advance in SC House Updated: Feb-27-14 7:35 pm
- SC ethics reform bill heads back to the House Updated: Feb-27-14 6:07 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A former Virginia legislator convicted of bribery and extortion says he doesn't believe he deserves to be in prison, but he remains upbeat.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia lawmakers left Richmond Saturday without accomplishing their most important task: passing a roughly $96 billion budget for the next two years.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia property owners would no longer get paid by the state for the costs of cleaning up meth labs found on their property, under changes to the state's crime victim compensation awards approved by Legislature on Saturday
TRENTON, New Jersey - The former mayor of New Jersey's capital city has asked a federal judge to throw out his conviction on corruption charges and grant him a new trial.
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A former Wall Street investment banker was found guilty Friday of defrauding investment funds established as part of the federal government's response to the 2008 financial crisis.
FORT PAYNE, Alabama - A prosecutor said Friday he will show that former Alabama Senate leader Lowell Barron gave $58,000 in campaign funds to campaign aide Rhonda Jill Johnson to help her pay a debt to him and a credit card company.
CINCINNATI - A southwest Ohio lawmaker charged with fraud and theft for allegedly misleading investors about a company's financial status and using their money for personal gain won't go on trial next month.
SACRAMENTO, California - Stung by criminal charges against two colleagues, the leader of the state Senate and other Democratic lawmakers on Thursday proposed tightening rules on lawmakers and lobbyists.
FORT PAYNE, Alabama - An indicted former state senator accused of making improper payments to a campaign aide has filed court papers citing the attorney general's payments to a campaign staffer.
PHOENIX - Former Arizona House Speaker Joe Lane, who presided over the 1988 impeachment of Gov. Evan Mecham, has died at age 78.
WYANDOTTE, Michigan - U.S. Reps. Gary Peters of Michigan and Mike Quigley of Illinois have requested a federal investigation to find "best practices for transporting and storing petroleum coke" and to study its effects on human health.
HANOI, Vietnam - A dissident blogger was sentenced to two years in prison Tuesday for posting online criticism of Vietnam's authoritarian government, drawing an immediate rebuke from the United States.
BOISE, Idaho - An Idaho lawmaker apologized Monday to colleagues in the House and asked them to convene an ethics committee to examine her vote against legislation that would have hurt her financially.
WHITE PLAINS, New York - A New York politician accused of corruption won't be able to delay his trial so that it comes after his primary election.
SACRAMENTO, California - A California state lawmaker facing federal corruption charges alleging he took kickbacks while in office said Sunday evening he has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the Legislature while he awaits trial.
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A former northern New Jersey political leader who tried to bribe his way out of paying overdue taxes has been sentenced to two years in federal prison.
CHICAGO - A Chicago alderman's chief of staff is charged with accepting a $7,500 bribe in exchange for helping to secure a letter from his boss supporting a liquor license, federal authorities announced Friday.
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - As "American Hustle" vies for a best picture Oscar Sunday night, former U.S. Sen. Larry Pressler will pop into the Academy Awards broadcast a couple of times to remind South Dakota residents that he was the lone congressman to turn down a bribe in the real-life 1970s Abscam scandal.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A corrupt former Rhode Island mayor was freed from prison early Friday as part of a deal struck with federal and state prosecutors after an appeals court threw his 2012 conviction into question.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Lawyers for Bob McDonnell said in a federal court filing that they want more details on what exactly federal prosecutors allege the former Virginia governor did wrong.
CHICAGO - The president of a homeland security company has been indicted for fraud. Among the accusations is that he told investors Chicago would buy devices that detect the presence of nuclear or biological weapons when there was no deal.
ST. LOUIS - A former St. Louis alderman has been fined $100,000 by the Missouri Ethics Commission for improperly spending nearly $20,000 in campaign contributions on student loans, new clothes and other personal expenses.
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana House has advanced a measure allowing judges to impose tougher sentences for anyone convicted of using a gun in a violent crime.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Bills aimed at limiting and clarifying how South Carolina's officeholders can spend campaign donations advanced Thursday in the House, as the Senate approved an ethics bill requiring candidates and incumbents to disclose where they get their money.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has approved an ethics bill that allows voters to see where candidates get their money and expands reporting rules for those seeking to influence legislators.