- Conviction of ex-speaker sends NY politics into turmoil Updated: Dec-01-15 6:28 am
ALBANY, New York - The conviction of former Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has shaken New York politics down to the granite foundations of the state Capitol, provoking fresh calls to overhaul a system that has stubbornly clung to its long history of corruption.
- Ex-Connecticut mayor returns to office after prison stint Updated: Dec-01-15 6:11 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - The former mayor of Bridgeport, who spent seven years in federal prison for public corruption, will once again be sworn in as mayor of Connecticut's largest city.
- Brazil House Speaker denies bribery reports Updated: Nov-30-15 2:37 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The embattled speaker of Brazil's House of Representatives has vehemently denied reports that a document seized in a corruption probe suggests he received nearly $12 million to support legislation favoring a top investment bank.
- US activist heading home after serving Peru sentence Updated: Nov-30-15 1:38 pm
LIMA, Peru - American activist Lori Berenson is finally heading home to New York, two decades after being found guilty of aiding leftist rebels in Peru.
- Political corruption museum could become Albany tourism draw Updated: Nov-28-15 11:25 am
ALBANY, New York - A resident of New York's capital city has an unusual economic development plan to harness what he says is one of Albany's most abundant renewable resources: political corruption.
- Likud lawmaker's antics make him bad boy of Israeli politics Updated: Nov-27-15 1:03 pm
JERUSALEM - Over the years, the Israeli parliament has seen its fair share of questionable characters. But it's unlikely anyone has ever been so perpetually engulfed in scandal in so short a time as freshman Likud lawmaker Oren Hazan.
- Mexican Green Party leader resigns post amid investigation Updated: Nov-26-15 12:49 am
MEXICO CITY - Mexican prosecutors said Wednesday that they have opened a criminal investigation of a leader of Mexico's Green Party for allegedly violating electoral laws in June's midterm elections.
- Chile FF president in Miami after resigning amid FIFA probe Updated: Nov-25-15 1:12 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The whereabouts of the former president of Chile's soccer federation has been solved.
- Kenya's president reshuffles Cabinet after graft allegations Updated: Nov-24-15 5:16 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president reshuffled his Cabinet Tuesday to replace five ministers who are being investigated for graft and one who resigned over the weekend after being accused of corruption.
- Former NY lawmaker gets house arrest for lying to FBI Updated: Nov-24-15 2:09 pm
WHITE PLANS, New York - A terminally ill former New York state senator will serve six months of house arrest after being convicted of lying to the FBI about arranging a high-paying job for his son.
- Senator to ask for probe after immigrant accused in slaying Updated: Nov-24-15 2:03 pm
NORWICH, Connecticut - A U.S. senator says he wants an investigation into a federal agency after a Haitian national was accused of killing a Connecticut woman shortly after his release from prison.
- FIFA ethics committee seeks life ban against Michel Platini Updated: Nov-24-15 12:23 pm
PARIS - The FIFA ethics committee has requested a life ban for Michel Platini, the Frenchman's lawyer said Tuesday, a move that would rule the UEFA president out of the race to succeed Sepp Blatter.
- State legislator sentenced to 1 year in jail for barratry Updated: Nov-23-15 7:42 pm
HOUSTON - A jury has sentenced Houston-area state Rep. Ron Reynolds to the maximum penalty of a year in jail a fine following his conviction of misdemeanor barratry.
- Kenya president declares corruption national security threat Updated: Nov-23-15 9:43 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president on Monday declared corruption a national security threat and he presented a raft of measures to fight the graft that is endemic in East Africa's largest economy.
- Wisconsin Legislature focuses on reporting school crime data Updated: Nov-22-15 2:55 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Momentum is growing in the Wisconsin Legislature to require that data about crimes committed on school grounds be more readily available for parents and others to view alongside test scores and graduation rates.
- In Asia, Obama takes softer tone on human rights, corruption Updated: Nov-22-15 4:12 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - In Southeast Asia, President Barack Obama has taken a softer tone on human rights and corruption in a part of the world that rights groups claim is rife with abuses.
- Mayor continues fight for fees after acquittal, court fight Updated: Nov-22-15 3:16 am
MIAMI LAKES, Florida - The mayor of Miami Lakes is continuing his battle for $3.2 million in legal fees after he was acquitted of federal corruption charges and a lengthy court fight with the city.
- State lawmaker convicted of illegally soliciting law clients Updated: Nov-21-15 3:36 pm
CONROE, Texas - A Southeast Texas jury has found a suburban Houston state representative guilty of illegally soliciting clients for his law practice.
- New York lawmakers slow to address corruption despite trials Updated: Nov-21-15 10:23 am
ALBANY, New York - Two of the most powerful men in New York state government are on trial for corruption at the same time. Voter turnout is lower than it's been in decades. And polls show the public is as distrustful as it is apathetic.
- Convicted spy Pollard is released after 30 years behind bars Updated: Nov-20-15 4:47 pm
NEW YORK - Jonathan Pollard was released from prison Friday after 30 years behind bars for spying for Israel, and his lawyers immediately went to court to challenge tough parole conditions seemingly designed to ensure he doesn't spill any U.S. military secrets he might have left.
- IOC president proposes overhaul of WADA doping operations Updated: Nov-20-15 4:27 pm
PRAGUE - IOC President Thomas Bach proposed an overhaul of the World Anti-Doping Agency's operations Friday, including the creation of independent testing and professional intelligence-gathering units to avoid the kind of scandals that have embroiled Russia and track and field.
- Strange: New ethics advice is 'significant improvement' Updated: Nov-19-15 7:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Attorney General Luther Strange on Wednesday praised the Alabama Ethics Commission's revised advice to lawmakers that he said is "emphatic" that legislators cannot be hired lobbyists.
- House launches probe of Rep. Pittenger but will defer to FBI Updated: Nov-19-15 6:06 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The House Ethics Committee said Thursday that it will delay a probe into Republican U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger while federal authorities investigate his family's business.
- Pennsylvania ethics panel fines 2 former Philly lawmakers Updated: Nov-19-15 4:02 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The State Ethics Commission has fined two former Philadelphia legislators who previously pleaded guilty as a result of an undercover sting operation.
- FBI closes investigation into Salt Lake County mayor Updated: Nov-19-15 4:02 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The FBI says it has closed an investigation into Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams without finding evidence of wrongdoing.