- The Latest: Courser rips 'doctored' report, says he's target Updated: Aug-31-15 10:35 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on the release of a report describing misconduct by two Michigan lawmakers who had an affair (all times local):
- Probe: Michigan lawmakers engaged in dishonest cover-up Updated: Aug-31-15 9:47 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Two Michigan lawmakers who had an extramarital affair engaged in numerous instances of deceptive and "outright dishonest" misconduct in an attempted cover-up, in which public resources were misused and constituents were treated with a lack of respect, an investigator alleged Monday.
- Lawmakers to discuss impeaching NM official accused of fraud Updated: Aug-31-15 6:47 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives on Monday raised the possibility of impeachment proceedings against New Mexico's top elections official after allegations of fraud, embezzlement and money laundering were leveled against her by the state attorney general.
- From creativity to corruption, Mandel was a political force Updated: Aug-31-15 5:19 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A colorful and complex figure in Maryland politics, Marvin Mandel was seen by some as an innovator who reorganized state government to be more efficient. For others, he was forever stained by his conviction for selling the powers of office.
- Conviction keeps Albany ex-commissioner out of mayor's race Updated: Aug-31-15 4:17 pm
ALBANY, Georgia - A former Albany city commissioner says he's been forced to give up on running for mayor because of a decade-old criminal conviction.
- Missouri ethics panel says lobbyist-bought meal misreported Updated: Aug-31-15 3:23 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Several Missouri lobbyists likely broke state laws requiring that they name the lawmakers they buy meals for when they first reported a steakhouse dinner at a conservative legislative policy meeting, according to a report by the state's ethics panel.
- Ohio governor appoints replacement for convicted judge Updated: Aug-31-15 10:56 am
ELYRIA, Ohio - The governor has appointed a replacement for a northeast Ohio judge who was convicted on charges of tampering with records and falsification.
- Northwestern Indiana mayor facing trial on fraud charges Updated: Aug-29-15 1:08 pm
HAMMOND, Indiana - The mayor of a northwestern Indiana city is set to go to trial over federal charges alleging that he and his wife took more than $20,000 from his campaign account in order to cover casino gambling losses.
- Former lawmaker from northern Ohio appeals theft conviction Updated: Aug-29-15 6:13 am
PORT CLINTON, Ohio - A former northern Ohio lawmaker is appealing his conviction on a felony theft charge.
- Secretary of state charged with theft, money laundering Updated: Aug-28-15 7:44 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's Democratic attorney general on Friday charged Republican Secretary of State Dianna Duran with embezzlement, fraud, money laundering and campaign finance violations, further widening a rift between the two over enforcement of the state's laws governing campaigns.
- Feds win fight for access to indicted Paul aide's Gmail Updated: Aug-28-15 2:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Federal prosecutors are prevailing in their yearlong fight to access the emails of a once-powerful Republican consultant from Google Inc.
- Brazil's Rousseff faces growing impeachment threat Updated: Aug-28-15 9:57 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - If the worst economic crisis in a decade, a massive corruption scandal centered on her ruling party and approval ratings in the single digits weren't rough enough for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, she's now faced with an angry rival who controls the possibility of impeachment proceedings against her.
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- Ex-Republican House staffer imprisoned 1 year for mail fraud Updated: Aug-27-15 3:00 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - George Gallo, the former chief of staff to the Connecticut House Republicans, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison for taking more than $100,000 in payments from a political campaign direct mail company to which he steered business.
- Black Lives Matter boos Washington mayor's anti-crime plans Updated: Aug-27-15 2:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Protesters interrupt DC mayor's violent crime announcement Updated: Aug-27-15 12:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Prosecutors say congressman seeking to influence jurors Updated: Aug-26-15 10:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah has tried to influence potential jurors in his racketeering case by publicly boasting about his accomplishments in Congress, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Platini's credentials as reformer questioned by FIFA rival Updated: Aug-26-15 2:36 pm
LONDON - As Michel Platini prepares to reveal his FIFA presidential vision, a rival contender is launching his campaign by questioning the UEFA leader's long-standing association with Sepp Blatter and his credentials to reform the scandal-tainted governing body.
- Money dealer: Brazil president knew of kickback scheme Updated: Aug-25-15 7:20 pm
SAO PAULO - A convicted black market money dealer who turned state's evidence told lawmakers on Tuesday that Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and her predecessor, former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, knew of the sprawling corruption kickback scheme that has engulfed state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Nigerian graft-fighting commission accused of corruption Updated: Aug-25-15 3:31 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - The chairman of Nigeria's corruption-fighting Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is appearing before the Senate to answer accusations that he diverted billions of dollars.
- NAACP conducting Delaware government discrimination probe Updated: Aug-25-15 9:04 am
DOVER, Delaware - A coalition of pastors and the NAACP that is investigating accusations of discrimination in state government is beginning to seek testimony at hearings in Kent and Sussex counties.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Sen. Menendez's defense Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Monday against efforts by Sen. Bob Menendez to dismiss the corruption indictment against him, calling the case the result of an "exhaustive, focused and disciplined" investigation that spanned more than two years.
- Ex-detective pleads guilty to misuse of public funds Updated: Aug-21-15 5:42 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A former Unified Police detective pleaded guilty Friday to misuse of public funds after being accused of not being able to account for $8,500 meant for informants to buy drugs from dealers.