- Reforming Baltimore police will be time-consuming, costly Updated: May-05-15 10:11 am
BALTIMORE - Months before Freddie Gray died of the broken neck he suffered during what Baltimore's top prosecutor called an illegal arrest, the city's mayor and police commissioner said the department needed reform and asked the Justice Department for help reviewing officer misconduct.
- Top NY lawmaker's arrest sends session, Senate into disarray Updated: May-05-15 3:22 am
ALBANY, New York - The arrest of a powerful New York lawmaker on federal corruption charges threw one of America's most powerful statehouses into disarray, destabilizing the state's Senate while complicating an already contentious legislative agenda.
- Democrats reject Colorado GOP fetal homicide bill Updated: May-04-15 8:20 pm
DENVER - Democrats concerned about interference on abortion rights on Monday rejected a Republican measure to create a new crime of fetal homicide, legislation that was crafted in response to an attack last month on a pregnant woman in Longmont.
- Ex-Rhode Island lawmaker convicted of drunken driving Updated: May-04-15 7:31 pm
WARWICK, Rhode Island - A judge has found a former Rhode Island state senator guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Brazil weighs investigating ex-leader Silva Updated: May-04-15 6:37 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Federal prosecutors in Brazil confirmed Monday that they are weighing whether to open a full investigation into former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's alleged overseas lobbying efforts for the scandal-plagued construction firm Odebrecht, the nation's biggest builder.
- FBI releases corruption probe files into late Boston mayor Updated: May-04-15 1:46 pm
BOSTON - The FBI has released documents related to a corruption investigation into late Mayor Thomas Menino that ultimately proved unfounded.
- Florida legislators push bills tied to their private jobs Updated: May-03-15 12:28 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - During the recently-concluded legislative session, Senate President Andy Gardiner constantly warned about the threat to the state's hospitals if they were to lose more than $1 billion that now comes from the federal government.
- Bridge scandal charges may prove a mixed bag for Christie Updated: May-02-15 3:23 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - The charges handed down against three former allies of Gov. Chris Christie in the George Washington Bridge traffic scandal provide mixed news for the Republican governor as he tries to regain momentum in support of an expected presidential bid.
- Ex-Rep. Jefferson permanently loses Louisiana law license Updated: May-01-15 5:58 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana's Supreme Court has formally revoked the law license of a disgraced former congressman.
- 2 National Guard soldiers charged with fraud, theft in USVI Updated: May-01-15 4:28 pm
CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands - Two National Guard soldiers have been arrested in the U.S. Virgin Islands on charges of theft, wire fraud and making false statements.
- Documentary on T-rex discovery leads to pardon request Updated: Apr-30-15 10:28 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Pete Larson has discovered thousands of fossils around the world, co-authored three books and led the team that unearthed the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever found. But there's one black mark on his record: a federal conviction that landed him in prison almost 20 years ago.
- Colombia's high court urges probe of ex-President Uribe Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's Supreme Court called on Thursday for an investigation of former President Alvaro Uribe for what it charged was his role organizing a domestic spying ring that illegally intercepted the communications of his opponents.
- Columbia mayor among those praising character of ex-trustee Updated: Apr-30-15 12:25 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin is among those who have written to a federal judge considering the sentence for a former South Carolina State University trustee embroiled in a kickback scandal, according to documents filed in court earlier this month.
- Washington lawmaker facing ethics violations resigning Updated: Apr-29-15 9:29 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A state representative is resigning this week following allegations of falsified travel expense forms, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the House chief clerk.
- NY Senate OKs new environmental crime Updated: Apr-29-15 3:04 am
ALBANY, New York - The New York state Senate has voted to create a new crime to go after those who damage the environment while committing another offense.
- Auditor Troy Kelley says unpaid leave will start Monday Updated: Apr-28-15 8:59 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Embattled state Auditor Troy Kelley, who was indicted by a federal grand jury on tax evasion and other charges earlier this month, said Tuesday he will start his leave of absence next week and will not accept pay or benefits, something Gov. Jay Inslee had already insisted on.
- Senate Ethics Committee fines House member $6K Updated: Apr-28-15 7:03 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate Ethics Committee has publicly reprimanded the chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus and fined him $6,000.
- Biden implores Ukraine to do more to fight corruption Updated: Apr-28-15 2:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is imploring Ukraine's leaders to investigate and prosecute corruption that is rampant throughout the government.
- Florida city drops legal fight; ex-mayor to be reinstated Updated: Apr-28-15 12:26 am
MIAMI LAKES, Florida - A former mayor of a south Florida city who was acquitted of federal corruption charges is set to be reinstated.
- GOP ethics bills get airing in Oregon House committee Updated: Apr-27-15 11:05 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Local government officials and lobbyists told an Oregon legislative committee Monday that it would be too expensive and time consuming to comply with a proposal to strengthen the state's public records laws.
- Ex-chief of staff for state House GOP admits to mail fraud Updated: Apr-27-15 9:12 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The former chief of staff to the Connecticut House Republicans has pleaded guilty to one count of mail fraud for taking more than $100,000 in payments from a political campaign direct mail company to which he steered business.
- Siena poll: Voters aren't convinced by NY ethics changes Updated: Apr-27-15 10:35 am
ALBANY, New York - A poll suggests New York voters aren't impressed with government ethics rules adopted by lawmakers and Gov. Andrew Cuomo in an effort to combat Albany corruption.
- South Korea's prime minister steps down over bribery scandal Updated: Apr-27-15 7:19 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's president accepted the resignation of her prime minister on Monday over a bribery scandal, officials said.
- Each death in Baltimore makes mistrust harder to overcome Updated: Apr-25-15 4:44 pm
BALTIMORE - Baltimore's mayor and police commissioner came in making big promises to the inner-city residents and police who spent decades staring each other down in neighborhoods ravaged by crack and heroin. But with each death of a black man in custody, their efforts to overcome mistrust have hit hard walls of skepticism and outrage.
- Judge sentences ex-lawmaker, says politicians 'don't get it' Updated: Apr-23-15 5:25 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge sentenced a former state lawmaker on Thursday to five months in prison for pocketing a $7,000 bribe, chiding Illinois' political class for not appearing to grasp the pitfalls to themselves and the state of corruption.