- Verizon strike possible as contract deadline looms Updated: Aug-01-15 9:38 am
WASHINGTON - Verizon workers in nine states could walk off the job as soon as early Sunday if union negotiators don't reach an agreement over benefits with the wireless carrier.
- Nokia profit grows as networks division leads turnaround Updated: Jul-30-15 1:28 pm
HELSINKI - Nokia enjoyed a solid 60 percent rise in net profit in the second quarter, with a good performance in its core networks division suggesting the Finnish company is succeeding in turning its business around since selling its handsets operation to Microsoft in 2013.
- Galaxy S6 fails to reverse profit decline at Samsung Updated: Jul-30-15 2:16 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics suffered a fifth straight drop in quarterly earnings as the Galaxy S6 failed to reverse its declining fortunes in global smartphone sales.
- LG Electronics reports 45 percent plunge in 2Q earnings Updated: Jul-29-15 3:17 am
SEOUL, South Korea - LG Electronics said Wednesday its second quarter earnings sank 45 percent over a year earlier as losses widened in its TV business and mobile phones earned little income.
- Software turns smartphones into tools for medical research Updated: Jul-27-15 10:46 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Jody Kearns doesn't like to spend time obsessing about her Parkinson's disease. The 56-year-old dietitian from Syracuse, New York, had to give up bicycling because the disorder affected her balance. But she still works, drives and tries to live a normal life.
- Binge-buying French telecoms mogul teams with media group Updated: Jul-27-15 6:16 am
PARIS - Two of France's top executives are teaming up in a joint venture focused on international media projects.
- Verizon workers vote to authorize strike, if necessary Updated: Jul-25-15 11:50 pm
NEW YORK - Verizon workers in nine states have voted to go on strike if necessary over a dispute about a new contract, a union official said at a rally Saturday.
- AT&T buys DirecTV, now biggest traditional TV provider in US Updated: Jul-24-15 7:58 pm
NEW YORK - Even as TV watchers increasingly go online, AT&T has become the country's biggest traditional TV provider with its $48.5 billion purchase of DirecTV.
- Comcast adds Internet customers; box office pumps up revenue Updated: Jul-23-15 4:03 pm
NEW YORK - Despite a slowdown in subscriber growth, the Internet is still propelling Comcast.
- Madigan joins peers in seeking cellphone call-blocking Updated: Jul-23-15 4:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has joined dozens of peers in asking major wireless phone carriers to adopt technology that allows users to block unwanted calls.
- Strong iPhone sales; Apple stock down with few Watch details Updated: Jul-21-15 7:43 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple's latest financial report shows iPhone sales are still surging, driven partly by growth in China. But it also contains hints that Apple's much-vaunted smartwatch may not be selling as fast as Wall Street expected.
- Verizon tops 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-21-15 10:28 am
NEW YORK - Verizon Communications Inc. on Tuesday reported second-quarter earnings that topped analyst expectations as it signed up more wireless customers.
- Syracuse gets a state telecommunications hearing Updated: Jul-21-15 3:05 am
SYRACUSE, New York - Syracuse residents will have a chance to tell state regulators about their phone and internet service.
- Google shareholders revel in record 1-day windfall of $65.1B Updated: Jul-17-15 8:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google's stock roared out of a long slumber Friday to produce the biggest shareholder windfall in U.S. history as investors rewarded the Internet company for promising to curb its spending on risky projects.
- Rapid7 stock climbs and Ooma shares slump in public debuts Updated: Jul-17-15 5:10 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of cybersecurity company Rapid7 surged in their first day of trading, while those of Internet-based phone service company Ooma slumped in their market debut.
- In Tech: Comcast games, Microsoft music, HBO online Updated: Jul-16-15 4:20 pm
Comcast is adding another hook to try to keep customers in front of the TV: video games in its set-top boxes.
- Free broadband for 5 NYC housing developments Updated: Jul-16-15 1:07 am
NEW YORK - The city is poised to begin providing free Internet broadband access to more than 16,000 residents of its sprawling public housing system.
- Netflix supports Charter acquisition of Time Warner Cable Updated: Jul-15-15 6:25 pm
NEW YORK - Netflix, a vocal opponent of Comcast's failed bid for Time Warner Cable, supports Charter's quest to do the same in a deal that would create another cable giant.
- New Comcast online video service for its Internet customers Updated: Jul-13-15 5:22 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast, the country's largest cable company, is offering its own online video alternative as people spend fewer hours watching live TV and more time using tablets and phones for entertainment.
- Pacific islands cable breaks, cutting off phones, Internet Updated: Jul-09-15 11:50 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - Technicians are restoring telephone and Internet service in the U.S Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands after a break in undersea cable disconnected the islands from the rest of the world.
- T-Mobile US calling plans to cover Canada and Mexico Updated: Jul-09-15 7:11 pm
NEW YORK - T-Mobile will now let its U.S. customers call, text, use apps and browse the Internet within North America without paying extra charges.
- Microsoft cuts 7,800 jobs as phone sales flag Updated: Jul-08-15 7:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft is cutting 7,800 jobs and writing off $7.6 billion in connection with its purchase of Nokia's phone business, as the giant software maker tries to narrow its focus and pull back from a series of ill-fated forays onto rival tech companies' turf.
- Judge awards nearly $230,000 to woman who got 153 robocalls Updated: Jul-07-15 9:32 pm
NEW YORK - It wasn't a robocall, but a federal judge left a message anyway for companies Tuesday when he awarded nearly $230,000 to a Texas woman, finding that a cable company crossed the line when it harassed her with 153 robocalls even after she complained about the wrong numbers.