- Austria finds 20, maybe up to 50, migrants dead in truck Updated: Aug-27-15 12:56 pm
PARNDORF, Austria - Austrian police on Thursday discovered the decomposing bodies of at least 20 - and possibly up to 50 - migrants stacked in a truck parked on the shoulder of the main highway from Budapest to Vienna.
- Balkan summit on migrants overshadowed by migrant deaths Updated: Aug-27-15 11:13 am
VIENNA - Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann had just finished telling other European leaders that there was an urgent need to crack down on human traffickers when the news came: at least 20 migrants - possibly up to 50 - have been found dead in a truck just miles away.
- US Attorney's office hosting youth safety summit in Detroit Updated: Aug-25-15 4:08 am
DETROIT - The U.S. Attorney's office in Detroit is hosting a leadership and safety summit for youth in the city.
- Solar, wind power draw Obama support at Vegas energy summit Updated: Aug-24-15 9:46 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama brought presidential star power to tout the benefits of solar electricity in Western states during an annual green power conference Monday in Las Vegas hosted by U.S. Sen. Harry Reid.
- Poland's new leader seeks greater regional unity, NATO bases Updated: Aug-21-15 4:40 am
WARSAW, Poland - It's been a dream of some Polish leaders for nearly a century: an alliance of Eastern European countries running from the Baltic Sea down to the Black Sea that would keep Russia at bay.
- China plays down US human rights concerns Updated: Aug-15-15 12:15 am
WASHINGTON - China is open to talking about human rights at a September leadership summit with the U.S. but the two world powers should not let the issue "dominate" the discussions, a senior Chinese official said Friday.
- Australia criticized over greenhouse-gas reduction target Updated: Aug-11-15 1:34 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia has been criticized over its new greenhouse-gas reduction target which lags behind the ambitions of most wealthy countries.
- CEO retiring from Alabama-based fertilizer center Updated: Aug-05-15 2:18 pm
MUSCLE SHOALS, Alabama - Nobody can see into the future, but as a young man in India, Amit Roy found the spark that would ultimately lead him on a path to help provide his country and the rest of the world with the knowledge and the means to increase yield and quality of food production.
- Sudan's president, facing charges, scheduled to speak at UN Updated: Aug-04-15 6:29 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir, who faces international war crimes and genocide charges, is on a provisional list of speakers at a U.N. summit of world leaders in late September. If he speaks, al-Bashir would be the first head of state to address the General Assembly while facing charges by the International Criminal Court.
- UN states set goal to end poverty, hunger in next 15 years Updated: Aug-03-15 5:10 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The 193 member states of the United Nations have reached agreement on a new development agenda for the next 15 years that calls for eradicating poverty and hunger, achieving gender equality, improving living standards and taking urgent action to combat climate change.
- Black economic summit being held in Orangeburg this weekend Updated: Aug-01-15 4:04 am
ORANGEBURG, South Carolina - The South Carolina State Conference of the NAACP is joining with the business school at Claflin University in Orangeburg to host an African American Economic Summit.
- Obama delivers frank words about Africa's problems Updated: Jul-28-15 4:49 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama arrived in East Africa with no big American aid packages, no ramped up U.S. military resources for fighting terror groups and no new initiatives with billions in government backing.