- The Latest: UN Secretary-General wants climate target review Updated: Nov-29-15 9:56 am
PARIS - The latest from the much-anticipated U.N. climate conference that gets underway in Paris on Monday. All times local:
- Tens of billions promised to goose clean energy tech Updated: Nov-29-15 9:53 am
PARIS - Government and business leaders plan to spend tens of billions of dollars in the next five years to develop clean energy technology in efforts to fight global warming, an official and a former official have told The Associated Press.
- The Latest: Turkey sees EU summit as new beginning Updated: Nov-29-15 9:51 am
BRUSSELS - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- UN: Maurice Strong, climate and development pioneer, dies Updated: Nov-28-15 5:54 pm
TORONTO - Maurice Strong, whose work helped lead to the landmark climate summit that begins in Paris on Monday, has died at age 86, the head of the U.N.'s environmental agency said Saturday.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- EU turns to Turkey to help manage its migration woes Updated: Nov-27-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Five years ago, Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi warned that millions of Africans wanted to come to the European Union and offered to make the continent's immigration problem disappear in exchange for billions of euros.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits beloved Malta and Commonwealth Updated: Nov-26-15 11:03 am
VALLETTA, Malta - It is a bittersweet moment for Queen Elizabeth II. She is visiting a country she loves on what may be her final trip to an organization she cherishes - one that might struggle without her.
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Baltimore mayor heading to Paris for climate conference Updated: Nov-24-15 11:40 am
BALTIMORE - Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is headed to Paris next week for the United Nations' climate change conference.
- European Council: Turkey summit set for Sunday Updated: Nov-23-15 3:48 pm
BRUSSELS - European Council President Donald Tusk says he has called for a summit with Turkey this Sunday to "re-energize relations and stem migration flow."
- The Latest: Myanmar leader thanked for move toward democracy Updated: Nov-22-15 7:27 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Ten Southeast Asian heads of state and nine world leaders, including President Barack Obama, are meeting in Malaysia to discuss trade and economic issues. Terrorism and disputes over the South China Sea are also on the agenda. (All times local.)
- China tells others don't 'stir up trouble' in S. China Sea Updated: Nov-22-15 5:40 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - China on Sunday told other countries not to "deliberately stir up trouble" in the disputed South China Sea, while insisting it has no intention of militarizing the strategically vital area even though it has increased construction activities there.
- SE Asia creates Economic Community, but challenges remain Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Thirteen years after the idea was mooted, Southeast Asian leaders on Sunday formally created a unified economic community in a region more populous and diverse than the European Union or North America, and with hopes of competing with China and India.
- Obama tries to put human face on Syrian refugee debate Updated: Nov-21-15 7:45 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Brushing off refugee worries at home, President Barack Obama crouched alongside migrant children on Saturday and declared they are the opposite of terrorists wreaking havoc from Paris to Mali. Working to put a human face on the refugee crisis, he said, "They're just like our kids."
- UN official: Over 120 leaders to attend Paris climate summit Updated: Nov-20-15 10:50 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The attacks in Paris are affecting crucial climate change talks in the French capital starting later this month, but more than 120 world leaders strongly support the conference and have confirmed they will attend, a senior U.N. official said Friday.
- Canadian newcomer Trudeau a fresh face among APEC leaders Updated: Nov-19-15 11:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - He's younger than the next youngest leader by six years and nearly a full generation behind the 60-year-old average age of his Pacific Rim peers.
- New Mexico spaceport to host drone summit in 2016 Updated: Nov-19-15 5:16 am
UPHAM, New Mexico - Spaceport America will be hosting a drone summit next spring.
- APEC leaders: Urgent need to cooperate against terrorism Updated: Nov-19-15 5:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - Asia-Pacific leaders called Thursday for governments to urgently increase cooperation in the fight against terrorism as they wrapped up annual talks haunted by the Paris attacks.
- The Latest: Manila slum near APEC shows poverty challenge Updated: Nov-19-15 4:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Leaders from 21 countries and self-governing territories are in Manila for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. The meeting's official agenda is focused on trade, business and economic issues but terrorism, South China Sea disputes and climate change are also in focus. (All times are local.)
- Behind pomp of APEC summit, crushing poverty endures Updated: Nov-19-15 4:05 am
MANILA, Philippines - Just a few miles from the gleaming venue hosting President Barack Obama and other world leaders sits Manila's slum of slums on a mountain of trash, a potent reminder to the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation bloc that the globalization agenda it promotes has left many behind.
- Highlights of declaration from annual APEC summit Updated: Nov-18-15 11:07 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Leaders from 21 countries and self-governing territories meeting in Manila for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit plan to issue a declaration that denounces terrorism and vows united efforts to combat its root causes. The following are highlights from the declaration seen Thursday by The Associated Press.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- Courting business, Obama presses for climate action in Asia Updated: Nov-18-15 8:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Aggressive action to fight climate change will be a boon for businesses in Asia and beyond, President Barack Obama is asserting as he reaches for a global climate change agreement he hopes will burnish his environmental legacy.