- Polar bear cub set to entertain Toledo Zoo guests in Ohio Updated: May-06-16 12:14 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A polar bear cub born at the Toledo Zoo in December is ready to meet her fans.
- Woman who hanged her dogs from tree gets 6 months in prison Updated: May-05-16 8:19 pm
BRISTOL, Connecticut - A Connecticut woman who hanged her two dogs from a tree has been sentenced to six months in prison.
- 2 charged after death of dog dragged 5 miles behind truck Updated: May-05-16 8:02 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - Authorities have arrested one Evansville man and issued an arrest warrant for another after the death of a dog that was dragged for more than five miles behind a pickup truck.
- Rhode Island bat tests positive for white-nose syndrome Updated: May-05-16 7:39 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A fungal disease that has decimated populations of bats across the United States has been found for the first time in Rhode Island.
- Judge says 10 seized animals should be returned to Ohio farm Updated: May-05-16 7:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A judge on Thursday said five tigers and five other animals seized from a northeast Ohio farm should be returned, though the state stood by its actions and maintained that the owner hasn't met Ohio's tightened restrictions on keeping exotic animals.
- The Latest: Juneau using cruise ship fees for legal costs Updated: May-05-16 6:42 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on a lawsuit involving a Juneau whale sculpture (all times local):
- Juneau using cruise ship visitor fees to cover legal costs Updated: May-05-16 5:57 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Juneau is using the money it receives from visitors who arrive to the city via cruise ship to fight a lawsuit filed by the cruise industry alleging it is misusing those funds to develop a park featuring a life-sized whale sculpture a mile away from port.
- Lioness Leia, named for Star Wars princess, debuts in Texas Updated: May-05-16 5:52 pm
WACO, Texas - A lioness named for movie character Princess Leia (LAY'-uh) has been introduced to some Star Wars costume-wearing fans at a Texas zoo.
- Wildlife group proposes deer farm crackdown to fight disease Updated: May-05-16 4:52 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A prominent sportsmen's group wants Gov. Scott Walker to crack down on captive deer farms as he considers revising the state's chronic wasting disease tactics.
- Montana releases draft grizzly hunting guidelines Updated: May-05-16 2:47 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - Montana wildlife officials have released draft regulations for grizzly bear hunting in anticipation of the bears' possible removal from the endangered species list.
- Governor's adoption of Veto the dog violated shelter rules Updated: May-05-16 1:38 pm
LEWISTON, Maine - A woman who had her heart set on taking home the same stray dog that Republican Gov. Paul LePage adopted is angry that the animal shelter broke its own rules by making the canine available to him a day before it was available to the public.
- Officials: 12 neglected dogs seized from Ypsilanti-area home Updated: May-05-16 12:12 pm
YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Officials say 12 neglected dogs are getting medical care and recovering after being seized from a Washtenaw County home.
- Correction: Louisiana Chimps Moving story Updated: May-05-16 12:08 pm
NEW ORLEANS - In a story May 3 about chimpanzees, The Associated Press reported erroneously, based on information from the organization Project Chimps, that a university laboratory in Louisiana was the first non-federal lab to agree to move all of its chimpanzees to sanctuary. The nonprofit organization said later the New Iberia Research Center was one of the first non-federal programs to release its entire population of research chimps.
- Dog shot on Illinois bridge recovering from injuries Updated: May-05-16 12:03 pm
URBANA, Illinois - A dog that had been shot and suspended from a rural eastern Illinois bridge is eating and recovering from a long list of injuries.
- Big horn sheep spotted in Silver City Updated: May-05-16 11:52 am
SILVER CITY, New Mexico - Residents of Silver City have spotted big horn sheep in the area, a rare event for the southern New Mexico city.
- Maine might boost number of deer hunting permits Updated: May-05-16 11:03 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine wildlife biologists say the state's deer herd can stand more hunting pressure in the wake of a mild winter and recent permit cutbacks.
- Officer kills larger dog that mauled smaller one Updated: May-05-16 9:41 am
NEW YORK - The NYPD says an officer shot and killed a larger dog that was mauling a smaller one.
- Santa Cruz tows dead humpback whale back out to sea Updated: May-05-16 8:43 am
SANTA CRUZ, California - Marine officials say a dead male humpback whale has been towed back to sea after it was spotted floating in waters off Santa Cruz.
- South Korea's latest online celebrities: Stray cats eating Updated: May-05-16 2:03 am
JANGSEONG, South Korea - The stars of the latest online trend in South Korea stay out of sight most of the day. Viewers don't seem to mind waiting for hours while nothing happens. When the stray cats finally come to eat the food left out for them, people watching online sit enraptured by their feline charms.
- Group seeks to halt US exports of fur from bobcats, wolves Updated: May-04-16 7:50 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Wildlife advocates on Wednesday said they will seek a court order halting a United States government program that allows tens of thousands of pelts from bobcats and a small number of gray wolves to be exported annually for sale on the international fur market.
- Chimp victim hospitalized with face-transplant complications Updated: May-04-16 4:58 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Connecticut woman who underwent a face transplant five years ago after being attacked by a chimpanzee is back in a Boston hospital after doctors discovered her body is rejecting tissue from the transplant.
- Arizona bear kill policy sparks debate Updated: May-04-16 3:55 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Arizona wildlife officials are defending the state's policy on killing bears after the public's reaction to a bear being euthanized in Flagstaff.
- The Latest: Doctors say face transplant not in jeopardy. Updated: May-04-16 3:27 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on Charla Nash's transplant (all times local):
- The governor's good day: A new dog and a legal victory Updated: May-04-16 3:14 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - For Republican Gov. Paul LePage, the good days have been few and far between in recent weeks.
- Dolphin found to have died from parasite found in cats Updated: May-04-16 10:16 am
HONOLULU - Scientists have determined that the death of a spinner dolphin found off Hawaii Island last year was caused by a parasite-borne disease that has threatened Hawaii's monk seal population.