- Bulldog at home in Smyrna's Sunnyside Elementary School Updated: Feb-06-16 9:00 am
SMYRNA, Delaware - For students at Sunnyside Elementary School in Smyrna, the reward for good behavior is a puppy.
- Columbus Zoo's polar bear cub named Nora after public vote Updated: Feb-06-16 7:00 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The 3-month-old female polar bear cub at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium will be named Nora.
- New Mexico couple: Woman posed as humane worker, stole dog Updated: Feb-06-16 5:05 am
RIO COMMUNITIES, New Mexico - A New Mexico couple says a woman posing as an Animal Humane employee threatened them with jail and stole one of their dogs.
- Monkey Year inspires kung fu, predictions of fire, disease Updated: Feb-06-16 4:04 am
BEIJING - The new Chinese year is the one to go bananas over. On Feb. 8, the zodiac calendar enters the Year of the Monkey - the ninth of 12 animal signs. Plastic monkeys are adorning shopping centers and office buildings, and government departments have been giving out toy monkeys.
- Manatee Lagoon opens next to Riviera Beach power plant Updated: Feb-06-16 3:01 am
RIVIERA BEACH, Florida - South Florida residents and visitors looking for manatees are likely to find them at a new viewing center built by Florida Power & Light.
- Woman killed by Phoenix-area police had popular online video Updated: Feb-06-16 12:16 am
MESA, Arizona - Police in a Phoenix suburb shot and killed a knife-wielding woman whose struggles with Asperger's syndrome went viral last year when she posted an online video showing her service dog comforting her.
- Dubuque library requests funds for dog to sniff out bedbugs Updated: Feb-05-16 5:20 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Dubuque officials have asked for increased funding to continue bringing a dog to sniff out bedbugs at a public library.
- Veterinarian agrees to forfeit license amid abuse claims Updated: Feb-05-16 4:54 pm
PINE VILLAGE, Indiana - A northwestern Indiana veterinarian who denies allegations that she kicked barking dogs and abused them in other ways has agreed to surrender her state licenses and close her practice.
- Judge denies bid to halt Yellowstone bison slaughter Updated: Feb-05-16 3:56 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A federal judge has denied a request to halt the planned capture and slaughter of bison migrating from Yellowstone National Park.
- New Mexico succeeds in legal fight to bar horse slaughter Updated: Feb-05-16 3:49 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A court decision will prevent a horse slaughter operation from opening in New Mexico after the state's lengthy legal battle.
- 3 charged, 1 warning issued after deer beaten in Arkansas Updated: Feb-05-16 3:05 pm
STUTTGART, Arkansas - A Georgia man accused of beating a deer with an accounting textbook after it had been hit along an Arkansas highway has been charged with a misdemeanor count of cruelty to animals and wasting wildlife and set for a court appearance later this month.
- Tucson Rodeo to continue as planned despite equine herpes Updated: Feb-05-16 10:58 am
TUCSON, Arizona - Officials with the Tucson Rodeo say the festivities will go forward as planned despite a herpes outbreak spreading through Tuft Paradise racetrack.
- Scientists turn to drones to count growing seal colonies Updated: Feb-05-16 10:50 am
On a remote island off of Nantucket, scientists are using a tool most commonly associated with war and surveillance to get a look at fuzzy baby seals.
- Wichita police find puppy mill, rescue nearly 20 dogs Updated: Feb-05-16 7:54 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Wichita police have seized 20 pit bulls from what they called a puppy mill.
- Cops: 5 dead horses found on veterinarian's property Updated: Feb-05-16 7:05 am
PALMERTON, Pennsylvania - Two people including an eastern Pennsylvania veterinarian have been accused of abusing animals after police say five dead horses were found along with other unhealthy animals.
- Officials: Pets shouldn't be given unfiltered Flint water Updated: Feb-05-16 5:29 am
FLINT, Michigan - Officials are reminding people to make sure pets aren't drinking unfiltered Flint tap water after two area dogs tested positive for lead toxicity in recent months.
- New Terre Haute Humane Society shelter open Updated: Feb-05-16 5:01 am
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - While some work remains to be finished, the Terre Haute Humane Society opened its new facility along Fruitridge Avenue to the public Wednesday - a shelter that its proponents say features more efficiency and some modern twists.
- Officials: Rabid pit bull bites 3 people, several dogs Updated: Feb-05-16 4:36 am
ABERDEEN, New Jersey - Authorities say a rabid pit bull bit at least three people and several dogs in central New Jersey.
- Sharpshooters aim to cull deer in, around Jackson park Updated: Feb-05-16 2:14 am
JACKSON, Michigan - Sharpshooters will try to kill deer in and around a Jackson park as part of an effort to control the animal's population.
- Starving sea lion found in San Diego, California, restaurant Updated: Feb-04-16 8:56 pm
SAN DIEGO - A starving sea lion has been rescued after finding its way into the booth of a fancy San Diego restaurant.
- Ape at Utah zoo predicts Panthers to win Super Bowl Updated: Feb-04-16 3:12 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - An ape at the Salt Lake City zoo has predicted the Carolina Panthers will win the Super Bowl.
- Activists: Fire shelter chief for $1,000 purebred collie Updated: Feb-04-16 12:00 pm
PITTSBURGH - The executive director of the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society is on leave over accusations by online activists that she paid a breeder $1,000 for a purebred collie puppy rather than adopt a rescue dog from the shelter.
- Ohio man fighting state over his exotic animals has hearings Updated: Feb-04-16 11:13 am
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - A northwestern Ohio man whose six tigers and other exotic animals were seized is getting back-to-back hearings as he fights the state.
- Police: Cat burglar enters Vermont family's home, takes pet Updated: Feb-04-16 10:43 am
TROY, Vermont - Vermont State Police have arrested a 54-year-old man in connection with taking a cat from a home.
- Animal rights group protests cowboy monkey Updated: Feb-04-16 9:43 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - An animal rights group wants "Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey" pulled from a weekend rodeo in St. Paul.