- Oshkosh zoo euthanized wolf after it bit child Updated: May-28-15 5:14 pm
OSHKOSH, Wisconsin - An Oshkosh zoo followed protocol when it euthanized a male wolf after the animal bit a child late last week, according to a city official.
- California man beaten by deputies on video faces charges Updated: May-28-15 5:09 pm
SAN BERNARDINO, California - A Southern California man chased by sheriff's deputies while riding a horse and whose subsequent beating by them resulted in a $650,000 settlement was charged Thursday with resisting arrest and animal cruelty.
- Bear scurries around Wyoming city, falls asleep, gets caught Updated: May-28-15 3:40 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - After leading wildlife officials on a daylong chase through a Wyoming city, an exhausted young black bear fell asleep under a tree.
- Van carrying dozens of puppies, cats, overturns on I-95 Updated: May-28-15 3:19 pm
PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire - An animal shelter volunteer sustained minor injuries when a van carrying dozens of puppies and cats overturned on I-95 in New Hampshire.
- Polish police find man who entered bear enclosure, got hurt Updated: May-28-15 1:00 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A man who went missing after tangling with a brown bear at Warsaw's zoo, leaving traces of blood, was found Thursday in the hospital.
- Hungry bear cub found by campers likely going to zoo Updated: May-28-15 12:40 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Officials say a malnourished bear cub found near Green Peter Reservoir will likely be heading to a zoo.
- Judge dismisses case from Ohio pair trying to keep pet bear Updated: May-28-15 12:31 pm
MEDINA, Ohio - A judge has dismissed a civil case by a northeast Ohio couple who want to keep their toothless, 41-year-old black bear despite not getting a required state permit.
- Veteran adopts K-9 deployment partner Updated: May-28-15 12:22 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - Darko sniffed the new bags lying on the ground for a minute before he was satisfied and dropped at Jake's feet.
- Astoria port uses beach balls to scare sea lions off docks Updated: May-28-15 12:13 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - The Port of Astoria is trying a more playful approach to keep sea lions off its docks: beach balls.
- Agents setting traps for bear spotted in West Monroe Updated: May-28-15 9:56 am
WEST MONROE, Louisiana - Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries agents are in West Monroe where a black bear has been spotted.
- Montana grizzlies on the rise after years of struggle Updated: May-28-15 9:53 am
MISSOULA, Montana - Wildlife experts say the grizzly bear population in northwest Montana is finally on the rise.
- Elephant numbers plunge in Mozambique because of poachers Updated: May-28-15 9:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - Poachers slaughtering elephants in Mozambique cut their population almost in half from 2009 to last year, but in Uganda, elephant numbers are increasing as a result of anti-poaching measures, according to aerial surveys.
- Veteran police dog retires in Rock Springs Updated: May-28-15 7:05 am
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyoming - A veteran police dog has retired from the Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office.
- Ore. wildlife agency: leave bear cubs in the wild Updated: May-28-15 6:17 am
SALEM, Oregon - The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife says a malnourished, seriously underweight yearling bear cub found begging for food near a reservoir east of Sweet Home in the Willamette Valley is likely an example of people interfering with wild animals.
- Lawsuit claims San Diego animal shelter mistreated dogs Updated: May-28-15 6:17 am
SAN DIEGO - A former veterinarian claims in a lawsuit that San Diego county's animal shelter mistreated dogs by leaving them in unheated kennels, calling the dogs "ice puppies."
- Sea lion impaled with spear rescued in Southern California Updated: May-27-15 10:37 pm
SAN DIEGO - A giant sea lion impaled by a homemade spear is recovering at SeaWorld after being rescued just off the Southern California coast.
- Couple whose dogs killed woman get jail, community service Updated: May-27-15 8:12 pm
DAYTON, Ohio - A couple whose dogs fatally mauled a woman in Ohio have been sentenced to months of jail time and community service.
- Dog that mauled 4-year-old boy moved to medical facility Updated: May-27-15 7:50 pm
PHOENIX - A pit bull that was ordered confined for the rest of his life after he mauled a 4-year-old boy was moved Wednesday from Sheriff Joe Arpaio's animal shelter to a medical facility where veterinarians can more easily treat the dog's skin cancer.
- Lawyer: Confinement of chimps for research akin to slavery Updated: May-27-15 6:31 pm
NEW YORK - A lawyer seeking to free two chimpanzees from a state university told a judge Wednesday that their confinement for research purposes is akin to slavery, the involuntary detention of people with mental illnesses and imprisonment.
- Western Michigan animal rescue overrun by rats condemned Updated: May-27-15 5:46 pm
FRUITPORT TOWNSHIP, Michigan - An animal rescue operation in western Michigan has been condemned after officials say it was overrun by hundreds of rats.
- Whale washes ashore in 12th recent death in California Updated: May-27-15 1:50 pm
POINT REYES STATION, California - Another dead whale washed ashore in Northern California, the 12th carcass that has appeared in the past few months and marks a higher-than-normal number of deaths but not a record.
- DNR board prohibits antlerless kills in 13 counties Updated: May-27-15 1:23 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Department of Natural Resources' board has prohibited hunters from killing antlerless deer in 13 counties this fall in an effort to regrow the herd in those areas.
- Traveling with your dog will cost you - sometimes hundreds Updated: May-27-15 11:13 am
LOS ANGELES - Having an 80-pound Labradoodle as a travel buddy means B.L. Ochman can quickly separate the hotels that love dogs from those that just put up with them.
- Citations but no charges in Chicago boy's dog-mauling death Updated: May-27-15 10:11 am
CHICAGO - Police in Chicago have cited the owner of a dog that mauled a 5-year-old boy to death on the city's South Side.
- Man who killed 3 bears gets probation, $15,000 fine Updated: May-27-15 9:56 am
KALISPELL, Montana - The man who was convicted in March of killing three grizzly bears has about two weeks to file an appeal.