- Jury convicts man of poisoning 9 cats in West Salem Updated: Oct-03-15 3:47 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A jury in Polk County has convicted a man of poisoning cats with antifreeze in West Salem.
- Animal welfare groups seek assistance for breeder inspection Updated: Oct-03-15 1:07 pm
DOWS, Iowa - Two Iowa animal welfare groups are asking the state and local law enforcement for help in inspecting a Dow dog breeder's operation.
- Wildlife officials urge caution on Youth Deer Hunt Day Updated: Oct-03-15 12:13 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts wildlife officials are urging people to be extra vigilant during the state's first ever Youth Deer Hunt Day.
- 1 injured when moose collides with car on Iron Range Updated: Oct-03-15 11:35 am
KEEWATIN, Minnesota - One person is injured and a moose is dead after the animal collided with a car on Minnesota's Iron Range.
- Nonresidents excluded from Black Hills mountain lion season Updated: Oct-03-15 11:22 am
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Commission has rejected a proposal to allow nonresidents to join this season's Black Hills mountain lion hunt and lowered limits on the number of animals allowed to be killed.
- Severe winter took toll on northern New England deer herd Updated: Oct-03-15 10:51 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The severe winter that dropped record amounts of snow in New England took a toll on the deer herd in Vermont and Maine, prompting wildlife officials to scale back the number of deer hunting permits issued this year.
- Va. records third case of eastern equine encephalitis Updated: Oct-03-15 10:00 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia has its third confirmed case of eastern equine encephalitis this year.
- Conservationists rally in South Africa, other countries Updated: Oct-03-15 9:24 am
JOHANNESBURG - A vehicle carrying a rhino sculpture led anti-poaching marchers in Johannesburg on Saturday. Kenya's environment minister joined conservationists at a similar rally in Nairobi, the capital. In London, activists in elephant costumes demanded an end to the ivory trade.
- Maine moose hunt wrapping up until mid-October Updated: Oct-03-15 8:13 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's state animal can soon rest easy, but only for a few days.
- Homeless man in Anchorage uses homemade spear to kill bear Updated: Oct-03-15 12:36 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A homeless man fashioned a machete-like blade to a groomed tree branch and speared a hungry black bear cub that was sniffing for food Friday morning at an illegal camp site in Anchorage.
- California dogs displaced by wildfires fly to Boise Updated: Oct-02-15 11:41 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Humane Society says it has welcomed a number of dogs from California shelters displaced by wildfires.
- Electric fence keeps bears from carcass disposal site Updated: Oct-02-15 10:45 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - Wildlife officials hope a seven-strand electric fence will keep hungry bears from trying to get into the carcass disposal area at a trash transfer station south of Jackson.
- North Dakota drone team goes to Canada to study wildlife Updated: Oct-02-15 6:06 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Scientists from the American Museum of Natural History who have spent five decades studying ecology in the polar bear capital of Canada had help this past summer from an unmanned aircraft team from the University of North Dakota.
- 2 Indiana women mauled by pack of dogs, 1 critically injured Updated: Oct-02-15 5:36 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two young women mauled by a pack of dogs as they were taking an evening walk may not have survived if a motorist who noticed their ordeal had not driven into a remote field to rescue them, a northern Indiana sheriff said Friday.
- Michigan hunter charged in shooting death of mother bear Updated: Oct-02-15 2:22 pm
COLFAX TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A 27-year-old western Michigan hunter has been charged in the fatal shooting of a black bear that was accompanied by her three cubs.
- Lost grizzly bear killed by hunter Updated: Oct-02-15 11:48 am
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A Montana grizzly bear that made its way to the Coeur d'Alene River Drainage last month has been shot and killed by a hunter.
- Dozens of seized animals adopted out by Spearfish shelter Updated: Oct-02-15 10:18 am
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - When local police seized 42 dogs and cats destined for a Wisconsin puppy mill on April 25, the Western Hills Humane Society wasn't sure where they'd put all the animals. But, thanks to a little help from their friends, nearly all of the critters have been adopted.
- Man steals English bulldog puppy from woman at gunpoint Updated: Oct-02-15 5:13 am
SALEM, Oregon - A Salem woman says a man stole one of her 8 ½-week-old English bulldog puppies at gunpoint from inside her home.
- Colorado Springs man shoots bear; bear later euthanized Updated: Oct-02-15 5:06 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials have euthanized a bear that had attempted to eat trash at a Colorado Springs home and was shot by the homeowner.
- 3-legged bear euthanized near Golden over health concerns Updated: Oct-01-15 9:34 pm
DENVER - Wildlife officials euthanized a three-legged black bear that had been hanging around Golden for the last several weeks because they were concerned about her health.
- Judge refuses to stop Florida black bear hunt Updated: Oct-01-15 8:10 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida's first black bear hunt in 21 years will be allowed to go forward after a judge ruled Thursday that a state wildlife agency was within its right to schedule the week-long hunt and carefully considered its impact on the bear population.
- Nevada man who tortured, killed dogs gets up to 28 years Updated: Oct-01-15 8:03 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 25-year-old former presidential scholar and psychology major convicted of torturing, killing and dismembering seven dogs was sentenced to up to 28 years in Nevada state prison Thursday in what the judge, prosecutor and defense lawyer all agreed may be the most horrific crime they have ever seen in their decades of legal practice.
- Woman dies after being attacked by bear in her home Updated: Oct-01-15 7:32 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Flathead County authorities say a Kalispell woman who was attacked by a black bear inside her home has died.
- Feds recommend against building southeast Idaho dam Updated: Oct-01-15 5:35 pm
BOISE, Idaho - An analysis by federal authorities of a proposed dam in southeast Idaho on the Bear River has resulted in a recommendation against going forward with the project.
- Tree kangaroo gives birth at Zoo Miami Updated: Oct-01-15 4:08 pm
MIAMI - Officials at Zoo Miami are getting their first look at a Matchie's tree kangaroo's joey.