- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela Updated: Dec-10-13 8:47 am
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela Updated: Dec-09-13 4:25 pm
- Nelson Mandela tournament to be played next week Updated: Dec-06-13 11:42 am
- Mandela to be buried Dec. 15 Updated: Dec-06-13 10:52 am
- Allain to be buried in Mississippi-made mausoleum Updated: Dec-05-13 4:44 pm
- Burial site uncovered by pipeline survey looted Updated: Dec-04-13 1:13 pm
- Memorial Friday, funeral Saturday for Allain Updated: Dec-03-13 6:32 pm
- Column: A nation grieves and the NFL plays on Updated: Nov-23-13 2:53 pm
- Anniversary of JFK death brings sadness, solemnity Updated: Nov-22-13 9:01 pm
- In Boston, somber observances for JFK anniversary Updated: Nov-22-13 1:03 pm
- Solemn events to mark JFK's assassination Updated: Nov-21-13 2:01 pm
- State funeral for Cyprus' ex-president Clerides Updated: Nov-19-13 7:44 am
- Mobile man recalls leading riderless horse for JFK Updated: Nov-18-13 8:17 am
- Website asks people to share stories of JFK legacy Updated: Nov-18-13 6:19 am
- Cyprus in mourning for dead ex-president Updated: Nov-16-13 7:23 am
JOHANNESBURG - U.S. President Barack Obama implored thousands gathered in a cold, rainy stadium and millions watching around the world on Tuesday to carry forward Nelson Mandela's mission of erasing injustice and inequality.
WASHINGTON - The comparisons are perhaps inevitable. President Barack Obama and former South African leader Nelson Mandela each served as their nation's first black president, living symbols of struggles to overcome deep-seated racial tensions. Each was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
DURBAN, South Africa - The Nelson Mandela Championship golf tournament will end one day early next week to recognize the state funeral for the late president.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain will be buried in Natchez City Cemetery in a one-person mausoleum. It has a black granite front engraved with the state seal and a symbol for justice.
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - An archaeological site in Hardin County uncovered during a survey for a pipeline project has been struck by looters.
JACKSON, Mississippi - A memorial service for former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain will be held Friday at the state Capitol in Jackson, and the funeral will be Saturday in Natchez.
Americans grieved in front of their television sets on a brutally grim Sunday afternoon 50 years ago as a horse-drawn caisson took the body of President Kennedy from the White House to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda.
DALLAS - It was the same time, 12:30 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22. It was the same place, downtown Dallas.
BOSTON - Many in Boston took time Friday to remember John F. Kennedy, whose legacy looms large in the city.
DALLAS - Loose gatherings of the curious and conspiracy-minded at Dallas' Dealey Plaza have marked past anniversaries of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, featuring everything from makeshift memorials to marching drummers to discussions about who else might have been in on the killing.
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Amid applause and shouts of respect, Cyprus's former President Glafcos Clerides was laid to rest Tuesday after politicians, dignitaries and hundreds of ordinary Cypriots paid their last respects to the man whose statesmanship was the driving force behind the divided country's successful European Union membership bid.
MOBILE, Alabama - Pfc. Arthur Carlson spent the night before in a stable caring for Black Jack, so he used his day off to stop by the laundromat.
BOSTON - There's no shortage of places for people to share memories of where they were 50 years ago when they found out John F. Kennedy had been assassinated. But a website debuting Monday aims to take the focus from past to future by asking people of all ages - even those who weren't alive when Kennedy died - to share their thoughts about how he has inspired them.
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Cyprus' government has declared a three-day mourning period for late former President Glafcos Clerides.