- UN: Agencies, major NGOs ordered out of Ukraine's Luhansk Updated: Sep-24-15 7:30 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations humanitarian chief said Thursday he is alarmed that U.N. agencies have been ordered out of eastern Ukraine's separatist-controlled Luhansk region by the "de facto authorities" there.
- Chinese leader to address UN on gender equality, vexing some Updated: Sep-24-15 4:08 am
BEIJING - Chinese leader Xi Jinping will preside this weekend over a U.N. conference on gender equality, which some activists say is galling given China's recent detentions of women's rights activists and its history of stopping people from attending U.N. meetings to discuss such issues.
- Report: Illegal timber trade from Myanmar to China growing Updated: Sep-17-15 2:37 am
BEIJING - The illicit timber trade between Myanmar and China is rebounding to near its peak of a decade ago as loggers push deeper into Myanmar to strip its forests, according to a report released Thursday by an environmental group.
- South Sudan: Aid workers say they are increasingly targeted Updated: Sep-16-15 7:13 am
JUBA, South Sudan - Aid workers in South Sudan are being attacked with greater frequency, a consortium of aid groups here said Wednesday.
- UN rights chief airs worry about lawyers detained in China Updated: Sep-14-15 4:59 am
GENEVA - The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights has expressed concern about the detention and interrogation of more than 100 lawyers in China.
- India police investigate rape charges against Saudi diplomat Updated: Sep-09-15 9:21 am
NEW DELHI - Police in India were investigating complaints from two women that a Saudi Arabian diplomat raped them repeatedly and confined them in his home near New Delhi. He has claimed diplomatic immunity, and the Saudi embassy in a statement Wednesday denied all the allegations.