- Sanders, staff set up campaign headquarters in Burlington Updated: May-22-15 12:23 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Bernie Sanders' new presidential campaign headquarters is just a few doors up Church Street in Burlington from the City Hall he first captured as mayor 34 years ago.
- Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince Updated: May-22-15 9:02 am
LONDON - In soccer, the only certain winner seems to be Sepp Blatter.
- Poland presidential vote could bring return to turbulence Updated: May-22-15 7:22 am
WARSAW, Poland - Presidential candidate Andrzej Duda is a new face in Polish politics, but he may herald a return to an older era when his right-wing party held power.
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race Updated: May-21-15 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers have voted to join the "SEC primary" as southern states band together to try to get more attention from 2016 presidential hopefuls.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 8:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House approved a measure Thursday that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years in a bid to boost turnout.
- Lawmakers in Louisiana House take aim at Jindal travel costs Updated: May-21-15 5:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Tired of Gov. Bobby Jindal's extensive out-of-state travel, lawmakers in the Louisiana House want the governor's office to carry the burden of those security detail costs, rather than the state police.
- Figo tells AP he is quitting FIFA presidential race Updated: May-21-15 5:43 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Calling FIFA a dictatorship under Sepp Blatter, presidential candidate Luis Figo dropped out of the election race on Thursday.
- FIFA Presidential Election Candidates Updated: May-21-15 5:10 pm
ZURICH - A look at the candidates in the FIFA presidential election on May 29 in Zurich:
- Huckabee is latest straw poll no-show. Is event in jeopardy? Updated: May-21-15 4:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The people running Iowa's Republican presidential straw poll want less money and glitz involved as they try to take this summer's event back to basics. But now they are facing a different kind of downsizing - fewer candidates.
- Ex-Haiti prime minister submits papers to run for president Updated: May-21-15 2:58 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Former Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe submitted papers to run for president shortly before the election office's deadline, after repeatedly saying he had no plans to seek Haiti's top political position.
- 2016 prospect Rand Paul in new book: GOP willing to change Updated: May-21-15 2:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul reaches out in his most direct way yet to African-Americans in a new book that highlights his libertarian policies on government surveillance, the economy and criminal justice reform.
- Woman gets prison for running over husband for not voting Updated: May-21-15 2:31 pm
PHOENIX - A judge has sentenced an Arizona woman to 3 ½ years in prison for running over her husband with an SUV because he didn't vote in the 2012 presidential election.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 2:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years.
- Previous FIFA Presidential Elections Updated: May-21-15 12:06 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter would certainly argue that being president of FIFA is the best job in sports. Becoming FIFA president is one of the hardest.
- Sepp Blatter set for another win in FIFA election Updated: May-21-15 12:05 pm
GENEVA - For once, a major FIFA election is untainted by claims of vote-buying.
- Statement by Luis Figo to The Associated Press Updated: May-21-15 12:03 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Statement sent by Luis Figo to The Associated Press on Thursday:
- Revolt from indigenous base challenges Bolivia's Morales Updated: May-21-15 9:22 am
LA PAZ, Bolivia - Just months after President Evo Morales won re-election with a convincing three-fifths of the vote, Bolivia's first indigenous president is suddenly up against a formidable opposition.
- Previous FIFA Presidents Updated: May-21-15 7:40 am
ZURICH - List of the presidents of FIFA:
- FIFA candidate Van Praag withdraws to support Prince Ali Updated: May-21-15 5:45 am
AMSTERDAM - FIFA presidential candidate Michael van Praag withdrew from the May 29 election against Sepp Blatter on Thursday, switching his support to FIFA vice president Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan.
- 10's a crowd? GOP prepares for double digits on debate stage Updated: May-20-15 9:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The first Republican presidential debate will feature no fewer than 10 candidates.
- Oklahoma GOP roiled by infighting as conference looms Updated: May-20-15 8:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - As Republicans prepare for some of the party's biggest names to descend on Oklahoma for the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, the state party is being rocked by infighting over its new chairman's decision to retain a staffer who pleaded guilty to a domestic violence charge.
- Shumlin endorses Clinton for president over Sanders Updated: May-20-15 6:58 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont House Speaker Shap Smith says he expects to join Gov. Peter Shumlin in endorsing Hillary Clinton for president over Sen. Bernie Sanders.
- 1 dead in Burundi unrest; leader delays parliamentary vote Updated: May-20-15 5:14 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi police fired live bullets, tear gas and tossed a grenade Wednesday to disperse hundreds of protesters angry over the president's bid for a third term in office. One soldier died while trying to stop the police barrage, a captain said.
- Small business is key in presidential campaign playbook Updated: May-20-15 3:10 am
NEW YORK - Small businesses aren't in the dire straits they were four years ago, but presidential candidates aren't letting go of an issue they think will get them votes.
- Florida's GOP primary could give a boost to a favorite son Updated: May-19-15 5:06 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida has put itself in a position to help the White House bids of either former Gov. Jeb Bush or Sen. Marco Rubio, by setting up a winner-take-all Republican presidential primary as early as possible in the nominating calendar.