- SC's Tim Scott plays role in GOP race with candidate forums Updated: Oct-03-15 12:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than 2,000 voters, from college students to those of retirement age, packed a Columbia theater recently to see for themselves what it's like to experience businessman Donald Trump up close and personal.
- Bernie Sanders making campaign swing through Massachusetts Updated: Oct-03-15 10:22 am
BOSTON - Bernie Sanders is making a campaign swing through Massachusetts.
- Late Las Vegas journalist Laura Myers named to Hall of Fame Updated: Oct-02-15 11:22 pm
SPARKS, Nevada - The late Laura Myers, a veteran journalist and humanitarian who most recently served as the lead political reporter for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, was posthumously inducted into the Nevada Press Association's Hall of Fame on Friday.
- Republican hopeful Carson says no to Syrian refugees in US Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said the U.S. should bar refugees from war-torn Syria because they are "infiltrated" with Muslim extremists who seek to harm America.
- Donald Trump holding campaign rally in Las Vegas next week Updated: Oct-02-15 5:17 pm
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is heading to the Las Vegas Strip for a campaign rally.
- Sen. Paul promotes criminal-justice reforms Updated: Oct-02-15 4:21 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul has ventured into a mostly minority section of Louisville to promote criminal-justice reforms and tax breaks to stimulate job growth in struggling neighborhoods.
- Bush donors embrace new mantra: He's built to last Updated: Oct-02-15 4:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Jeb Bush's challenge in the first half of the year was daunting yet simple. To be considered a fundraising success, the Republican presidential candidate had to hit the magic number of $100 million, an ambitious goal set by some in his campaign. And he did.
- Trump not coming to Hispanic Chamber of Commerce event Updated: Oct-02-15 3:51 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Donald Trump won't be doing a question-and-answer session with the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Washington next week.
- Again? Health care debate expands for 2016 Updated: Oct-02-15 12:06 pm
WASHINGTON - America's health care debate has been called an unhealthy political obsession. But if the 2016 presidential hopefuls have any say, it's about to get bigger.
- Platini's legal woes makes FIFA election more unpredictable Updated: Oct-02-15 11:36 am
ZURICH - More than two months into Michel Platini's FIFA presidential campaign, football fans are still waiting to hear just how he plans to rebuild the governing body's reputation. He might never get the opportunity.
- Bush with S. Carolina prosecutor for constitutional chat Updated: Oct-02-15 6:13 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush is returning to South Carolina for a constitutional conversation.
- Disdainful of fundraising, Sanders raises big sums for 2016 Updated: Oct-02-15 4:01 am
WASHINGTON - For someone who rails almost daily against big money in politics, Bernie Sanders has suddenly become pretty good at getting it.
- Rolling past his deadline, Biden still steeped in indecision Updated: Oct-02-15 3:51 am
WASHINGTON - Long past the time Joe Biden hoped to announce his plans for 2016, the vice president is still steeped in indecision, breeding uncertainty among Democrats eagerly looking for clues to whether he'll run for president.
- Trump and Carson's attacks on Muslims worry some GOP elders Updated: Oct-02-15 1:11 am
WASHINGTON - The candidates atop the GOP presidential field are ramping up political attacks aimed at Muslims, a move designed to appeal to hardline conservatives. But party elders worry that escalating anti-immigrant rhetoric could cost Republicans the White House in 2016.
- Clinton backs potential no-fly zone in Syria Updated: Oct-02-15 12:55 am
BOSTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday she would push for a no-fly zone and safe regions in Syria to address the humanitarian crisis that has spilled out in the Middle East.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- Rand Paul announces 2 endorsements from Nevada Assembly Updated: Oct-01-15 8:30 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Rand Paul is lining up support among freshman lawmakers in the Nevada Assembly.
- Rubio, Huckabee name campaign leaders in North Carolina Updated: Oct-01-15 7:36 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - More Republican presidential hopefuls are rolling out their campaign's leading political supporters for their bids in North Carolina.
- Hillary Clinton says more substance abuse treatment needed Updated: Oct-01-15 6:15 pm
BOSTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday that treatment for drug and alcohol addiction should be on a par with diabetes, cancer, heart disease and other medical conditions.
- Clinton campaign starts more Nevada Latino outreach efforts Updated: Oct-01-15 5:16 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton is announcing more initiatives focused on getting Nevada Hispanics on board with her campaign.
- FBI director confirming inquiry into Clinton email setup Updated: Oct-01-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - FBI Director James Comey confirmed Thursday the FBI is looking into the security of the setup of Hillary Rodham Clinton's email and that the agency has the appropriate "resources and personnel assigned to this matter."
- Trump, Rubio, Bush among candidates going to state GOP event Updated: Oct-01-15 12:27 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Donald Trump, former Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio are among at least six presidential candidates that will attend a summit hosted by the Republican Party of Florida.
- Clinton private account targeted in Russia-linked email scam Updated: Oct-01-15 12:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Russia-linked hackers tried at least five times to trick Hillary Rodham Clinton into infecting her computer systems while she was secretary of state, newly released emails show. It was unclear whether she was fooled into clicking on any attachments to expose her account.
- Donald Trump to speak at Franklin rally Updated: Oct-01-15 9:48 am
FRANKLIN, Tennessee - The Williamson County Republican Party says GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump will attend a rally this weekend in Middle Tennessee.
- Sanders pulls in nearly as much cash this quarter as Clinton Updated: Oct-01-15 9:01 am
WASHINGTON - Bernie Sanders is offering Hillary Rodham Clinton an unexpected challenge in the race for primary campaign money this quarter as he collected nearly as much money from small donations as the Democratic front-runner has from big-dollar donors.