- Jesse Jackson: Syrian refugees should be welcomed in US Updated: Nov-30-15 6:08 am
DEARBORN, Michigan - The Rev. Jesse Jackson says Syrian refugees should be welcomed in the U.S. and turning them away is legally and morally wrong.
- After uncertainty, new start for Syrian family in Germany Updated: Nov-30-15 5:32 am
ZWICKAU, Germany - Just before dawn, a worker shook the matriarch of the refugee family out of sleep at their asylum center in a depressed German town.
- EU, Turkey seek better relations at emergency refugee summit Updated: Nov-29-15 4:31 pm
BRUSSELS - European Union leaders and the Turkish prime minister sealed a joint summit with a commitment to re-energize Turkey's long-stalled membership talks and bolster their common resolve to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis.
- The Latest: Polish PM against new quota of sharing migrants Updated: Nov-29-15 4:25 pm
BRUSSELS - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Pence order puts Indiana at center of Syrian refugee issue Updated: Nov-29-15 10:42 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - Indiana could be shaping up as a testing ground for how states deal with Syrian refugees, after Gov. Mike Pence directed state agencies this month to suspend resettlement efforts because of security concerns.
- Thousands of Syrian refugee children left in legal limbo Updated: Nov-29-15 7:11 am
ZAWERGOSK, Iraq - Aria is stateless. Like thousands of other children born to Syrian refugees living in Iraq, the 10-month-old girl is beginning her life in legal limbo.
- Experts will discuss Syrian refugee crisis Updated: Nov-29-15 5:01 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Syrian refugee crisis will be discussed this coming week by a panel of experts at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Carson after tour: Syrian refugees don't want to come to US Updated: Nov-29-15 2:08 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - After touring Syrian refugee camps in Jordan, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday suggested that camps should serve as a long-term solution for millions, while other refugees could be absorbed by Middle Eastern countries.
- Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan Updated: Nov-28-15 12:18 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is in the Middle East this weekend to meet with Syrian refugees.
- EU turns to Turkey to help manage its migration woes Updated: Nov-27-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Five years ago, Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi warned that millions of Africans wanted to come to the European Union and offered to make the continent's immigration problem disappear in exchange for billions of euros.
- Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-26-15 2:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner says his moratorium attempting to block Syrian refugees from resettling in Illinois is simply a request for the Obama administration to "take a deep breath" and tighten the review process to make sure Washington shares necessary information with the states.
- Syrian family settling in Lexington amid backlash Updated: Nov-26-15 12:38 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - When Rama Al Najjar was 12 years old, she was bandaging bullet wounds and scrubbing blood from doorways so the blood wouldn't attract Syrian military attention.
- Arkansas a refuge from rising seas in Marshall Islands Updated: Nov-26-15 4:52 am
MAJURO ATOLL, Marshall Islands - Valentino Keimbar hides from the intense heat in the shade of a breadfruit tree, waiting for his basketball game to begin. It was supposed to start a couple of hours ago, maybe three, but time matters little here on the Marshall Islands.
- Obama admin says states lack authority to block refugees Updated: Nov-25-15 7:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Amid a growing political controversy, the Obama administration on Wednesday reminded state officials across the country that states do not have legal authority to refuse to accept Syrian refugees.
- German reinvents pre-fab concrete shelters to house migrants Updated: Nov-25-15 3:35 pm
BAD NEUENAHR-AHRWEILER, Germany - A retired engineer in Germany has come up with a solution to the shortage of appropriate housing for asylum-seekers as winter draws near: pre-fabricated concrete houses that can be manufactured and erected in just a few days.
- Nashville groups ask Haslam to reconsider refugee stance Updated: Nov-25-15 4:01 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Over 125 Nashville businesses, civic organizations and faith groups are asking Gov. Bill Haslam to change his stance on resettling Syrian refugees in Tennessee.
- UN refugee head: Japan should accept more, fix asylum system Updated: Nov-25-15 2:48 am
TOKYO - Japan should be doing more to help with the global catastrophe of asylum seekers, the head of the U.N. refugee body said Wednesday.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Shumlin: Rejecting Syrian refugees would be 'shameful' Updated: Nov-24-15 8:12 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Gov. Peter Shumlin visited an English-language class of refugees from war-torn countries on Tuesday to thank them for making Vermont their home and to highlight his support for accepting Syrian refugees into the United States.
- Canada to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by end of February Updated: Nov-24-15 6:23 pm
TORONTO - Canada's new Liberal government said Tuesday it will resettle 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year and another 15,000 by the end of February.
- Syrian family to settle in New Jersey Updated: Nov-24-15 6:09 pm
PATERSON, New Jersey - A family from Syria will settle in northern New Jersey a week after Gov. Chris Christie told President Barack Obama that the state wouldn't accept any more Syrian refugees.
- Indiana governor faces lawsuit for blocking Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-24-15 4:24 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A lawsuit challenging the Indiana governor's decision to stop state agencies from helping resettle Syrian refugees alleges that the action wrongly targets the refugees based on their nationality and violates the U.S. Constitution and federal law.
- Lincoln vigil held to welcome Syrian refugees to Nebraska Updated: Nov-24-15 1:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A candlelight vigil has been held for Syrian refugees in downtown Lincoln a week after Gov. Pete Ricketts joined other Republican governors expressing concern over federal screening of Syrian refugees who want to enter the United States.
- The Latest: Indiana governor stands by Syrian refugee order Updated: Nov-24-15 1:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The latest in the dispute over the Indiana governor's attempt to prevent Syrian refugees from resettling in the state (all times local):