- Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-26-15 2:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner says his moratorium attempting to block Syrian refugees from resettling in Illinois is simply a request for the Obama administration to "take a deep breath" and tighten the review process to make sure Washington shares necessary information with the states.
- Syrian family settling in Lexington amid backlash Updated: Nov-26-15 12:38 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - When Rama Al Najjar was 12 years old, she was bandaging bullet wounds and scrubbing blood from doorways so the blood wouldn't attract Syrian military attention.
- The Latest: German official says some migrants IS radicals Updated: Nov-26-15 10:21 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Arkansas a refuge from rising seas in Marshall Islands Updated: Nov-26-15 4:52 am
MAJURO ATOLL, Marshall Islands - Valentino Keimbar hides from the intense heat in the shade of a breadfruit tree, waiting for his basketball game to begin. It was supposed to start a couple of hours ago, maybe three, but time matters little here on the Marshall Islands.
- Obama admin says states lack authority to block refugees Updated: Nov-25-15 7:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Amid a growing political controversy, the Obama administration on Wednesday reminded state officials across the country that states do not have legal authority to refuse to accept Syrian refugees.
- German reinvents pre-fab concrete shelters to house migrants Updated: Nov-25-15 3:35 pm
BAD NEUENAHR-AHRWEILER, Germany - A retired engineer in Germany has come up with a solution to the shortage of appropriate housing for asylum-seekers as winter draws near: pre-fabricated concrete houses that can be manufactured and erected in just a few days.
- Nashville groups ask Haslam to reconsider refugee stance Updated: Nov-25-15 4:01 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Over 125 Nashville businesses, civic organizations and faith groups are asking Gov. Bill Haslam to change his stance on resettling Syrian refugees in Tennessee.
- UN refugee head: Japan should accept more, fix asylum system Updated: Nov-25-15 2:48 am
TOKYO - Japan should be doing more to help with the global catastrophe of asylum seekers, the head of the U.N. refugee body said Wednesday.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Shumlin: Rejecting Syrian refugees would be 'shameful' Updated: Nov-24-15 8:12 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Gov. Peter Shumlin visited an English-language class of refugees from war-torn countries on Tuesday to thank them for making Vermont their home and to highlight his support for accepting Syrian refugees into the United States.
- Canada to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by end of February Updated: Nov-24-15 6:23 pm
TORONTO - Canada's new Liberal government said Tuesday it will resettle 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year and another 15,000 by the end of February.
- Syrian family to settle in New Jersey Updated: Nov-24-15 6:09 pm
PATERSON, New Jersey - A family from Syria will settle in northern New Jersey a week after Gov. Chris Christie told President Barack Obama that the state wouldn't accept any more Syrian refugees.
- Indiana governor faces lawsuit for blocking Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-24-15 4:24 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A lawsuit challenging the Indiana governor's decision to stop state agencies from helping resettle Syrian refugees alleges that the action wrongly targets the refugees based on their nationality and violates the U.S. Constitution and federal law.
- Lincoln vigil held to welcome Syrian refugees to Nebraska Updated: Nov-24-15 1:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A candlelight vigil has been held for Syrian refugees in downtown Lincoln a week after Gov. Pete Ricketts joined other Republican governors expressing concern over federal screening of Syrian refugees who want to enter the United States.
- The Latest: Indiana governor stands by Syrian refugee order Updated: Nov-24-15 1:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The latest in the dispute over the Indiana governor's attempt to prevent Syrian refugees from resettling in the state (all times local):
- Migrants build society in French camp they call 'the jungle' Updated: Nov-24-15 10:43 am
CALAIS, France - Outside, acrid smoke from wood fires stings the eye, the stench of uncollected garbage and neglected toilets assaults the nose, and an autumn wind chills the bone. But inside Mimi Amanuel's immaculate wood-framed shack, the nightmare life of Calais' migrant camp cannot overpower a woman's dreams.
- Excerpts from recent editorials by newspapers in Illinois Updated: Nov-24-15 10:33 am
November 23, 2015
- Group wary of new mosque and any refugees in Gillette Updated: Nov-23-15 7:29 pm
GILLETTE, Wyoming - In the masjid, the room is quiet, a pair of ticking of clocks the only sound. Then, perhaps in protest, a truck rumbles loudly by, the driver revving his engine.
- VP Biden to attend meetings with Southeast European leaders Updated: Nov-23-15 7:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden will travel to Croatia Wednesday for meetings with Southeast European leaders.
- Correction: Syrian Refugees-Texas story Updated: Nov-23-15 11:27 am
AUSTIN, Texas - In a story Nov. 20 about Texas instructing resettlement organizations not to help Syrian refugees, The Associated Press incorrectly identified the Health and Human Services executive commissioner. He is Chris Traylor, not Chris Turner.
- Mayor asking residents to join rally welcoming refugees Updated: Nov-23-15 11:15 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Louisville's mayor is asking residents to join a community rally to show the city's solidarity with victims of recent terrorist attacks while welcoming immigrants fleeing those same extremist groups.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Nov-23-15 10:18 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Opponent of Japanese-Americans' WWII treatment to be honored Updated: Nov-23-15 5:22 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Relatives of a civil rights attorney being honored posthumously this week with a Presidential Medal of Freedom for challenging the treatment of Japanese Americans during World War II are alarmed by recent opposition to Syrian refugees resettling in the U.S.
- Syrian soccer player-turned-refugee in Iraq mulls options Updated: Nov-23-15 2:16 am
IRBIL, Iraq - For a while, it seemed Nosheen Hanaan's dream was coming true: The budding star qualified to be goalie on Syria's national soccer team at the age of 18 after earning a reputation for his fierce blocking on al-Hurriya, a league team from the northern city of Aleppo.