- Obama walks New Orleans streets, says city 'moving forward' Updated: Aug-27-15 2:55 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Walking door to door in a city reborn after tragedy, President Barack Obama says New Orleans is moving forward a decade after Hurricane Katrina. He offered the city as an example of what can happen when people rally to build a better future after suffering a devastating blow.
- Flooding around Mississinewa Lake causes $900K in damage Updated: Aug-27-15 2:35 pm
PERU, Indiana - Record flooding around the reservoir at Mississinewa Lake near Peru caused about $900,000 in property damage, according to estimates from officials.
- North Korea reports dozens of casualties after heavy rains Updated: Aug-26-15 10:08 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea says heavy rainfall has caused dozens of human casualties, destroyed homes and flooded farmland in a northeast area home to a special economic zone.
- On Mississippi's shore, what Katrina erased not yet replaced Updated: Aug-26-15 5:16 am
LONG BEACH, Mississippi - Between Mississippi's seashore and the railroad tracks a little ways inland, where Hurricane Katrina all but erased a neighborhood 10 years ago, Efrem Garza and a handful of other homeowners are still resettling a frontier.
- Typhoon Goni damages buildings, drenches western Japan Updated: Aug-25-15 12:46 am
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon damaged buildings, tossed around cars and flooded streets in southwestern Japan on Tuesday before heading out to the Sea of Japan.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- Owners of property damaged by wildfires may get tax relief Updated: Aug-24-15 1:46 pm
HELENA, Montana - The state Department of Revenue is reminding owners of property or forest lands damaged by wildfire or other natural disasters that they may be eligible for property tax relief.
- Construction begins on school to replace one storm destroyed Updated: Aug-23-15 6:31 pm
WISNER, Nebraska - Construction has begun on a new school to replace the one Pilger lost in the 2014 tornado, but it won't be in that town.
- 1 year after San Francisco Bay's biggest quake in decades Updated: Aug-23-15 2:52 pm
The 6.0 magnitude quake that woke the placid wine town of Napa at 3:20 a.m. on Aug. 24, 2014 was the strongest quake to hit the San Francisco Bay area in a quarter-century. It killed one person and injured 200 as bricks and furniture - and wine bottles - toppled onto sleeping families. One year later, the signs of lingering damage are minimal - a wobbly winery building here, a shrouded, Victorian-era downtown facade awaiting repairs there.
- Berkeley Springs buildings damaged by fire to be demolished Updated: Aug-23-15 11:51 am
BERKELEY SPRINGS, West Virginia - Town officials plan to demolish two buildings in Berkeley Springs that were damaged by a fire in April.
- School damaged by tornado opens less than 2 weeks later Updated: Aug-20-15 7:14 am
GRAYSLAKE, Illinois - A Chicago-area high school has started its school year on time less than two weeks after it was damaged by an EF-1 tornado.
- Weak tornadoes touch down near Lake Geneva and Big Bend Updated: Aug-19-15 8:49 pm
LAKE GENEVA, Wisconsin - The National Weather Service says it has confirmed the touchdowns of two weak tornadoes near Lake Geneva and Big Bend.
- Brush fire spreads quickly, destroys Damascus businesses Updated: Aug-19-15 12:47 pm
DAMASCUS, Oregon - Firefighters managed to extinguish a blaze that spread quickly and engulfed a commercial building in Damascus.
- Indiana, FEMA begin assessing storm damage in 29 counties Updated: Aug-18-15 4:46 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Federal, state and local officials have begun assessing the damage from severe storms and flooding in 29 Indiana counties between June 7 and July 29.
- Big wildfire threatens resort town in Washington Updated: Aug-18-15 1:36 am
SPOKANE, Washington - Big wildfires threatened the Lake Chelan resort region of central Washington on Monday after driving away tourists, destroying a warehouse filled with nearly 2 million pounds of apples and forcing thousands of residents to flee.
- $3.5M fire at college started in smoker's receptacle Updated: Aug-17-15 8:17 pm
CHESTERTOWN, Maryland - The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office says a fire that destroyed a building at an Eastern Shore college started in a plastic smoker's receptacle outside the building.
- Wildfires raging in Northwest destroy homes, threaten more Updated: Aug-16-15 5:19 pm
CHELAN, Washington - Several major wildfires in the Northwest have destroyed homes, forced residents to flee and threatened many more homes as they continued to rage across Washington, Oregon and Idaho.
- More crews mobilizing to fight large fires in Chelan area Updated: Aug-16-15 4:07 pm
CHELAN, Washington - Fire crews using air tankers, helicopters and bulldozers on Sunday were attacking several large fires burning in the Chelan area that have destroyed more than 50 structures and threatened many more homes.
- Idaho woman killed preparing to flee wild fire Updated: Aug-15-15 11:47 pm
KAMIAH, Idaho - A 70-year-old woman was killed when she fell while preparing to flee from a wildfire expanding quickly east of Lewiston, the Idaho County Sheriff's Department said Saturday.
- Wildfire destroys buildings on southeast rim of Lake Chelan Updated: Aug-15-15 11:19 pm
CHELAN, Washington - A wildfire that dramatically grew Saturday has destroyed 50 t0 75 structures around the southeast rim of Lake Chelan, a popular vacation spot, The Wenatchee World newspaper reported (http://bit.ly/1MuzZTr).
- Fire destroys business in Hastings, injures firefighter Updated: Aug-15-15 4:25 pm
HASTINGS, Nebraska - A fire destroyed a building in Hastings, a firefighter was hurt while working to extinguish the blaze.
- Family learns house badly damaged as they travel home Updated: Aug-15-15 4:18 pm
MOSS POINT, Mississippi - A Moss Point family got the news as they were traveling home from a graduation in Oklahoma: a fire had badly damaged their home.
- Students in tornado-damaged Van getting free school supplies Updated: Aug-15-15 3:08 pm
VAN, Texas - Students in a tornado-damaged East Texas town are preparing to return to school with donated books and portable classrooms.
- North Carolina zoo reopens storm-damaged exhibits Updated: Aug-15-15 11:56 am
ASHEBORO, North Carolina - The North Carolina Zoo will have all of its exhibits open again this weekend after damage from high winds and hail.
- Fire at Del. waterfront home does $750,000 in damage Updated: Aug-13-15 8:19 pm
BETHANY BEACH, Delaware - Fire officials are investigating the cause of a blaze that did $750,000 worth of damage to a waterfront home in Bethany Beach and two adjacent homes.