- Lafayette school destroyed by tornado plants new garden Updated: May-27-15 8:01 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A year and half after it was struck by a tornado, Mintonye Elementary School is almost entirely recovered. The building looks fresh and polished, with new floors and windows. But there's one thing that wasn't rebuilt.
- Nixon announces $2M for road repairs for tornado damage Updated: May-27-15 6:43 am
DUQUESNE, Missouri - A Missouri city near Joplin that sustained damage from the 2011 deadly tornado will get $2 million for road repairs.
- Tornado damages trees, farm buildings in northwest Illinois Updated: May-27-15 2:14 am
ATKINSON, Illinois - Weather officials say a tornado caused minor damage after touching down in northwestern Illinois.
- Storm lifts pickup from parking lot, throws it 60 yards Updated: May-27-15 1:55 am
BEAVERCREEK, Ohio - Police say one person suffered minor injuries when a strong storm lifted a pickup truck and blew it into a building at a shopping center in southwest Ohio.
- By the numbers: Severe weather in Texas, Oklahoma, Mexico Updated: May-26-15 9:35 pm
HOUSTON - The weekend's severe weather left behind a trail of destruction stretching from Oklahoma to Texas and a border town in Mexico, including heavy flooding and a deadly tornado. Here's the count:
- Tornado, damaged buildings reported in Kenner, Louisiana Updated: May-26-15 7:54 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A tornado with winds of 110 mph damaged several buildings in Kenner early Tuesday morning, according to the National Weather Service.
- 2-alarm fire destroys apartment building in Birmingham Updated: May-26-15 6:17 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A 2-alarm fire has destroyed an apartment building in Birmingham and left several people displaced.
- WWII veteran loses central NY home to fire; website helping Updated: May-26-15 3:07 am
GRANBY, New York - A Go Fund Me page has been set up to raise money to get a 96-year-old World War II veteran back into his central New York home.
- Tornado damage assessment wraps up in Delmont area Updated: May-25-15 11:35 am
DELMONT, South Dakota - State and federal officials have wrapped up an assessment of tornado damage to homes and businesses in Charles Mix and Douglas counties, including the town of Delmont.
- Indiana's high court upholds courthouse fire rulings Updated: May-25-15 4:10 am
MADISON, Indiana - The Indiana Supreme Court says contractors who worked on a 19th century courthouse before a 2009 fire don't have to pay some of costs of repairing the fire damage.
- Politics in paradise: Alabama governor mansion in disrepair Updated: May-24-15 11:58 am
GULF SHORES, Alabama - With boarded-up windows, peeling paint and a rooftop tarp that flaps in the ocean breeze, the beachfront retreat at the end of Gulf Way Drive is a $1 million eyesore in paradise.
- Fire destroys large vacant home in Accokeek Updated: May-22-15 7:53 am
ACCOKEEK, Maryland - A vacant, massive home was destroyed in a fire in Prince George's County in Maryland.
- Fire damages building at fiberboard plant in Danville Updated: May-22-15 7:11 am
DANVILLE, Virginia - A Danville fire official says a building at a fiberboard plant sustained heavy damage from a fire.
- Fire in Mount Vernon, Wash., building damages 3 businesses Updated: May-21-15 11:29 pm
MOUNT VERNON, Washington - Authorities say a stubborn fire has caused significant damage to three businesses that share a downtown Mount Vernon, Washington, building.
- Damaged buildings, homes being taken down in Delmont Updated: May-21-15 6:11 pm
DELMONT, South Dakota - Damaged buildings and homes in the town of Delmont are being taken down as cleanup continues in the town hit earlier this month by a tornado.
- Corps: Possible damage to cemeteries doesn't call for levees Updated: May-20-15 6:05 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The potential damage to cemeteries that would be flooded by a Red River diversion project would not be enough to justify protective measures requested by residents who have family members buried there, according to a study by promoters of the project.
- 2-alarm fire damages Virginia Beach apartment complex Updated: May-20-15 6:47 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A two-alarm fire ripped through an apartment complex in Virginia Beach and displaced 23 residents.
- High school students resume classes after tornado Updated: May-19-15 5:41 pm
LAKE CITY, Iowa - Students have resumed classes this week in Lake City after their high school was damaged by a tornado.
- Passers-by break open door, pull 2 from burning Phoenix home Updated: May-19-15 5:11 pm
PHOENIX - Three passers-by who separately came upon a burning home at dawn Tuesday broke open the front door to rescue two people whose prone bodies were on the other side, blocking normal entry through the doorway.
- State, federal officials assess Delmont-area tornado damage Updated: May-19-15 1:08 pm
DELMONT, South Dakota - State and federal officials on Tuesday were assessing tornado damage to homes and businesses in Charles Mix and Douglas counties, including the town of Delmont.
- Old Red Museum in Dallas faces repair of leaks, storm damage Updated: May-19-15 9:43 am
DALLAS - Every time it rained in downtown Dallas, the staff of the Old Red Museum would rush to stop water from streaming down the walls and through the ceilings of the historic county courthouse.
- Sports in disarray after devastating Nepal earthquakes Updated: May-19-15 6:18 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - A revered national sports coach is among the thousands of dead, trapped in his rented house when devastating earthquakes rocked Nepal.
- Penn law grad tells story of surviving Nepal quake Updated: May-18-15 11:42 am
PHILADELPHIA - Andrew Towne, 33, was eating lunch in a tent at base camp on Mount Everest when the ground beneath him began to sway.
- Fire damages vacant restaurant building in Tucson Updated: May-18-15 9:08 am
TUCSON, Arizona - A fire of undetermined origin has damaged a vacant restaurant building in Tucson.
- Firefighters: Smoking material, dry conditions, lead to fire Updated: May-18-15 6:24 am
KEENE, New Hampshire - Firefighters say the improper disposal of smoking materials in a plastic container outside a house led to a fire that spread to the building and was fueled by dry vegetation in Keene, New Hampshire.