- Strong storm knocks down trees, power lines Updated: May-29-15 6:53 am
SALEM, New Hampshire - A strong storm has taken down trees and power lines in southern New Hampshire and a lightning strike is believed to be the cause of a house fire in Peterborough.
- Superintendent of Joplin school district to resign in June Updated: May-28-15 1:56 pm
JOPLIN, Missouri - The man who led the Joplin school district as it rebuilt from devastating destruction after the May 2011 tornado say he will retire at the end of June.
- Floods in vulnerable Houston no surprise, despite controls Updated: May-28-15 1:54 pm
HOUSTON - The flooding, property damage and loss of life as torrential rains this week hit the Houston area should be no surprise.
- Hail storm does severe damage to south-central Kansas town Updated: May-28-15 9:02 am
EL DORADO, Kansas - Residents and business owners are recovering after a brief hailstorm pounded a south-central Kansas town with golf ball- and baseball-sized hail.
- W.Va. airport to demolish 7 homes damaged by slide, flooding Updated: May-28-15 7:10 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Yeager Airport plans to buy and demolish seven homes damaged by flooding caused by a landslide in March.
- Florida coasts have grown, but hurricane damage risk hasn't Updated: May-27-15 7:15 pm
MIAMI - Since eight hurricanes whipped through Florida during back-to-back seasons a decade ago, causing $33 billion in insurance claims, the state's coastal communities have added an additional 1.5 million people and almost a half-million new houses, an Associated Press analysis shows.
- 2 tornadoes touch down in Illinois causing minor damage Updated: May-27-15 1:40 pm
ATKINSON, Illinois - Weather officials say a pair of tornadoes caused minor damage in northern Illinois.
- Flood damage prompts state of emergency due to heavy rains Updated: May-27-15 12:51 pm
CANON CITY, Colorado - Unincorporated parts of Freemont County are under a state of emergency due to damage caused by flooding.
- Lafayette school destroyed by tornado plants new garden Updated: May-27-15 8:01 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A year and half after it was struck by a tornado, Mintonye Elementary School is almost entirely recovered. The building looks fresh and polished, with new floors and windows. But there's one thing that wasn't rebuilt.
- Nixon announces $2M for road repairs for tornado damage Updated: May-27-15 6:43 am
DUQUESNE, Missouri - A Missouri city near Joplin that sustained damage from the 2011 deadly tornado will get $2 million for road repairs.
- By the numbers: Severe weather in Texas, Oklahoma, Mexico Updated: May-26-15 9:35 pm
HOUSTON - The weekend's severe weather left behind a trail of destruction stretching from Oklahoma to Texas and a border town in Mexico, including heavy flooding and a deadly tornado. Here's the count:
- Tornado, damaged buildings reported in Kenner, Louisiana Updated: May-26-15 7:54 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A tornado with winds of 110 mph damaged several buildings in Kenner early Tuesday morning, according to the National Weather Service.
- 2-alarm fire destroys apartment building in Birmingham Updated: May-26-15 6:17 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A 2-alarm fire has destroyed an apartment building in Birmingham and left several people displaced.
- WWII veteran loses central NY home to fire; website helping Updated: May-26-15 3:07 am
GRANBY, New York - A Go Fund Me page has been set up to raise money to get a 96-year-old World War II veteran back into his central New York home.
- Tornado damage assessment wraps up in Delmont area Updated: May-25-15 11:35 am
DELMONT, South Dakota - State and federal officials have wrapped up an assessment of tornado damage to homes and businesses in Charles Mix and Douglas counties, including the town of Delmont.
- Indiana's high court upholds courthouse fire rulings Updated: May-25-15 4:10 am
MADISON, Indiana - The Indiana Supreme Court says contractors who worked on a 19th century courthouse before a 2009 fire don't have to pay some of costs of repairing the fire damage.
- Politics in paradise: Alabama governor mansion in disrepair Updated: May-24-15 11:58 am
GULF SHORES, Alabama - With boarded-up windows, peeling paint and a rooftop tarp that flaps in the ocean breeze, the beachfront retreat at the end of Gulf Way Drive is a $1 million eyesore in paradise.
- Fire destroys large vacant home in Accokeek Updated: May-22-15 7:53 am
ACCOKEEK, Maryland - A vacant, massive home was destroyed in a fire in Prince George's County in Maryland.
- Fire damages building at fiberboard plant in Danville Updated: May-22-15 7:11 am
DANVILLE, Virginia - A Danville fire official says a building at a fiberboard plant sustained heavy damage from a fire.
- Fire in Mount Vernon, Wash., building damages 3 businesses Updated: May-21-15 11:29 pm
MOUNT VERNON, Washington - Authorities say a stubborn fire has caused significant damage to three businesses that share a downtown Mount Vernon, Washington, building.
- Damaged buildings, homes being taken down in Delmont Updated: May-21-15 6:11 pm
DELMONT, South Dakota - Damaged buildings and homes in the town of Delmont are being taken down as cleanup continues in the town hit earlier this month by a tornado.
- Corps: Possible damage to cemeteries doesn't call for levees Updated: May-20-15 6:05 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The potential damage to cemeteries that would be flooded by a Red River diversion project would not be enough to justify protective measures requested by residents who have family members buried there, according to a study by promoters of the project.
- 2-alarm fire damages Virginia Beach apartment complex Updated: May-20-15 6:47 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A two-alarm fire ripped through an apartment complex in Virginia Beach and displaced 23 residents.
- High school students resume classes after tornado Updated: May-19-15 5:41 pm
LAKE CITY, Iowa - Students have resumed classes this week in Lake City after their high school was damaged by a tornado.
- Passers-by break open door, pull 2 from burning Phoenix home Updated: May-19-15 5:11 pm
PHOENIX - Three passers-by who separately came upon a burning home at dawn Tuesday broke open the front door to rescue two people whose prone bodies were on the other side, blocking normal entry through the doorway.