- Police: Several Kenyan officers killed in ambush Updated: May-26-15 3:15 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Several Kenyan police officers were killed in an attack Monday night by suspected Somali militants in the northeastern Garissa county, where 148 students were massacred last month, police said Tuesday.
- App developer hopes to attract young people to the outdoors Updated: May-26-15 1:13 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine company is hoping to attract younger audiences to national parks by creating free mobile apps.
- Charter deal seeks to keep cable consolidation on track Updated: May-26-15 1:04 am
Charter Communications Inc. is said to be nearing a deal to buy Time Warner Cable Inc. for $55 billion. It would be the latest in a series of deals that have reshaped the cable-TV industry.
- Sharp limits on media access to records likely to be dropped Updated: May-25-15 7:31 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas lawmaker who wanted to bar media access to the names of people involved in traffic accidents now says it probably won't survive a court challenge and will likely be dropped.
- Cards mascot photographed holding "police lives matter" sign Updated: May-25-15 3:44 pm
ST. LOUIS - A photo of St. Louis Cardinals mascot Fredbird holding a "police lives matter" sign was posted to a police association Facebook page before the team asked that it be taken down.
- Ohio artist known for mixed-media storytelling work dies Updated: May-25-15 2:52 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio folk artist whose work focused on her childhood neighborhood in Columbus has died.
- The Latest: Allertova wins long tiebreaker at French Open Updated: May-25-15 2:15 pm
PARIS - ___
- Slice of Silicon Valley: Strictly Business Computer Systems Updated: May-25-15 9:59 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - It was a Wednesday at 1 p.m., and there was tension in the offices at Strictly Business Computer Systems in Huntington.
- Journalism students aim to dispel myths about veterans Updated: May-25-15 9:01 am
DETROIT - Wishing living U.S. military veterans a "Happy Memorial Day" might be well-intentioned but misses the mark on an occasion meant for remembering those who lost their lives.
- After a decade online, YouTube is redefining celebrity Updated: May-24-15 11:58 pm
LOS ANGELES - It's a meet-and-greet worthy of an A-list star.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr has plenty of horsepower on Twitter Updated: May-23-15 2:06 pm
CONCORD, North Carolina - NASCAR's most popular driver is now one of the most popular people on Twitter.
- Man who solicited minors on Facebook gets 29-year sentence Updated: May-22-15 11:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal officials say a Northern California man has been sentenced to 29 years in federal prison for tricking girls into sending him sexually explicit photographs he then used to extort them.
- Fitzgerald named executive editor of 3 newspapers Updated: May-22-15 6:34 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The chief editor of the Beaver County Times in western Pennsylvania is moving east to take a new job overseeing three newspapers in the Philadelphia area.
- Correction: Earns-Liberty Media story Updated: May-22-15 5:49 pm
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - In a story May 8 about Liberty Media's earnings -- generated by Automated Insights using data from Zacks Investment Research -- the Associated Press reported erroneously the company's stock performance over the last 12 months. At that time, Liberty Media shares had risen 10.6 percent over the last 12 months.
- Hawaii pays off lawyers' fees for Honolulu newspaper Updated: May-22-15 4:30 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige has approved the state's last payment to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, bringing an end to a legal battle that began when the newspaper sued to force officials to disclose the names of judicial nominees.
- White House: Offensive Twitter posts part of 'open society' Updated: May-22-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says "offensive and disgusting" replies posted on President Barack Obama's new Twitter account are part of an open society.
- UK tabloid reporter found guilty in bribery case Updated: May-22-15 1:16 pm
LONDON - A British tabloid reporter accused of paying police for news tips has been found guilty of aiding and abetting public office misconduct.
- Band director on leave for Facebook post after senior prank Updated: May-22-15 6:43 am
SYLVANIA, Alabama - A band director with Sylvania High School has been placed on administrative leave with pay after posting a rant on Facebook about students who played a messy senior prank on the school.
- Japan's first lady visits controversial shrine to war dead Updated: May-22-15 5:23 am
TOKYO - Japan's first lady visited the Yasukuni Shrine honoring the country's war dead, including convicted war criminals, this week in a move that risks outraging neighboring countries that suffered under Japan's World War II aggression.
- Tribune Publishing completes purchase of San Diego paper Updated: May-21-15 7:43 pm
SAN DIEGO - Tribune Publishing Co. said Thursday that it completed its purchase of San Diego's dominant newspaper from real estate developer Douglas Manchester for $85 million.
- PayPal's new chief promises new services for a mobile world Updated: May-21-15 5:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - As PayPal prepares to split from its corporate parent, its new chief executive is promising to expand the popular online payment system, adding a variety of services for consumers to use when shopping on their phones or in traditional stores.
- Raleigh police to use social networking to reach residents Updated: May-21-15 5:31 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Raleigh Police Department has announced a partnership with the social networking company Nextdoor to share information about crime and safety with city residents.
- Gunn named editor of The Virginian-Pilot Updated: May-21-15 4:54 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - Virginia's largest newspaper will soon have a new editor.
- Nielsen: 13.76 million viewers for Letterman Updated: May-21-15 3:07 pm
NEW YORK - Comic celebrities turned out for David Letterman's late-night farewell - and so did his biggest audience in more than 21 years.
- Rediscovering Walt Disney's optimistic in 'Tomorrowland' Updated: May-21-15 2:49 pm
BEVERLY HILLS, California - For writer Damon Lindelof, the genesis of the escapist adventure "Tomorrowland" was one very simple question: What happened to our jet packs?