- Maine universities, community colleges have security plans Updated: Oct-10-15 1:40 pm
ORONO, Maine - Maine's universities and community colleges all have plans to deal with "active shooter" scenarios, and training ranges from drills to online videos students are encouraged to watch, officials said.
- Reno newspaper photographer arrested outside Tesla plant Updated: Oct-10-15 12:27 pm
RENO, Nevada - A Reno newspaper photographer has been arrested following an altercation with security guards at the site of a future Tesla gigafactory.
- Tegna, Dish spar over contract fees Updated: Oct-10-15 11:58 am
NEW YORK - TV station operator Tegna Inc. has cut off Dish Network subscribers' access to its local channels in more than three dozen markets because of a contract dispute between the two sides.
- Turkish journalist detained for tweets critical of president Updated: Oct-09-15 3:38 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Police in Turkey have detained the chief editor of an opposition English-language newspaper for posting tweets critical of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Correction: Nobel-Literature story Updated: Oct-09-15 2:14 pm
MINSK, Belarus - In an Oct. 8 story about the Nobel Prize for literature, The Associated Press erroneously reported that the prize had been awarded only twice for non-fiction prior to 2015, to Winston Churchill and Bertrand Russell. The prize also was awarded in 1902 to Christian Mommsen, most noted for his historical writing on Rome.
- Judge: Inglewood must pay for failed lawsuit against critic Updated: Oct-09-15 12:06 pm
INGLEWOOD, California - Inglewood must pay the legal fees of a resident unsuccessfully sued by the city for using snippets of City Council meetings in YouTube videos that were critical of elected officials.
- A reckless life as rocker -- and media figure -- for Hynde Updated: Oct-09-15 11:20 am
NEW YORK - She may be 64 now, but Chrissie Hynde is still one tough rock 'n' roller.
- The Latest: Slain Iran general was key figure in Syria war Updated: Oct-09-15 9:16 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The latest developments as Syrian troops and other nations battle militants in Syria. (All times local in Syria).
- Facebook video leads to animal cruelty charges against man Updated: Oct-09-15 7:15 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Sioux Falls man is charged with animal cruelty after the Humane Society alerted police to a Facebook post allegedly showing him slamming and strangling two dogs.
- Beyond 'Like:' 6 ways you might soon emote on Facebook Updated: Oct-08-15 11:01 pm
NEW YORK - Sometimes "Like" just doesn't cut it. So how about Love or Angry? Haha or Sad? Or just Yay or Wow?
- Cubs win gets most viewers in wild-card game's short history Updated: Oct-08-15 9:22 pm
NEW YORK - The Chicago Cubs' return to the playoffs has drawn the largest television audience in the short history of baseball's wild-card game.
- Experts say there are limitations to use of body cameras Updated: Oct-08-15 8:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Granting the public full access to video taken from police body cameras raises questions about privacy issues and technical limitations, a panel of experts said Thursday in Des Moines.
- A look at Chicago's Tribune Tower as it goes up for sale Updated: Oct-08-15 7:33 pm
CHICAGO - A 36-story Chicago landmark, the Tribune Tower, is up for sale. Tribune Media Co. announced Thursday that it has hired real estate investment banking firm Eastdil Secured to explore a sale or find a partner to help redevelop the building, which is home to the Chicago Tribune. Tribune Media phrased the move as an exploration of "strategic monetization alternatives." The building sits on 3 acres along Chicago's Michigan Avenue. Here are some features of the historic edifice that make it significant:
- Tribune Media considering sale of landmarked headquarters Updated: Oct-08-15 5:11 pm
CHICAGO - Tribune Media says it's hired a real estate investment banker to explore the sale of its Tribune Tower, its headquarters that sits on three acres along Chicago's Michigan Avenue.
- 'Dateline NBC' gathers Bill Cosby accusers for special Updated: Oct-08-15 4:45 pm
NEW YORK - NBC News correspondent Kate Snow says that bringing 29 women who have accused Bill Cosby of assault together for a "Dateline NBC" special Friday took on an importance beyond the individual cases.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- The Latest: Scholar wonders about Putin reaction to Nobel Updated: Oct-08-15 1:21 pm
STOCKHOLM - Latest news from the awarding of the Nobel Prize in literature.
- Pending sale of 4 Idaho newspapers to MN company announced Updated: Oct-08-15 11:20 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Post. Co. President Jerry Brady says the family-owned business that includes the Post Register and three other Idaho newspapers will be purchased by Minnesota-based Adams Publishing Group.
- South Dakota historical newspapers now available online Updated: Oct-08-15 6:05 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - Several South Dakota newspapers pre-dating 1922 are now available on a national online database.
- Belarus independent journalists targeted ahead of election Updated: Oct-08-15 5:46 am
MINSK, Belarus - A secret apartment in an old Minsk building has become just the latest risky place for journalists from the independent Belsat television station to work.
- Gannett Co. acquires Midwest, South newspapers for $280M Updated: Oct-07-15 9:27 pm
MILWAUKEE - Gannett Co. has reached an agreement to acquire newspaper company Journal Media Group for $280 million, giving the media giant control of publications in more than 100 local markets in the U.S., company officials announced Wednesday evening.
- Journalist guilty of helping hack Los Angeles Times' website Updated: Oct-07-15 7:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A well-known social media journalist was found guilty Wednesday of conspiring with the hacking group Anonymous to break into the Los Angeles Times' website and alter a story.
- Brown campus newspaper issues apology after racist columns Updated: Oct-07-15 4:43 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Brown University campus newspaper apologized Wednesday after publishing what it says were two "deeply hurtful" and racist columns.
- Governor candidates to debate on TV without David Vitter Updated: Oct-07-15 4:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republican U.S. Sen. David Vitter defended his planned absence in the latest TV debate in the Louisiana governor's race, saying his work in Washington is the culprit.
- With Yankees, wild-card game draws biggest TV audience Updated: Oct-07-15 4:11 pm
NEW YORK - With the Yankees playing, baseball's wild-card game has drawn its largest television audience in its short history.