- Some Dominicans don't want Vagas Llosa to get literary prize Updated: Feb-09-16 5:04 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Plans in the Dominican Republic to award a literary prize to Peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa have angered some people, including a member of the president's Cabinet.
- Kelly Clarkson has deal for picture book Updated: Feb-09-16 2:33 pm
NEW YORK - Kelly Clarkson has written a new song and a bedtime story for kids - her own included.
- Alabama poet laureate Andrew Glaze dies at 95 Updated: Feb-08-16 5:50 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Andrew Glaze, who began work as a newspaper reporter in Birmingham after World War II and went on to become Alabama's poet laureate, has died.
- Biography of Brett Favre coming out in November Updated: Feb-08-16 3:10 pm
NEW YORK - Brett Favre, selected last weekend for the NFL Hall of Fame, will be the subject of a biography coming out in November.
- 'Georgy Girl' author Margaret Forster, 77, dies of cancer Updated: Feb-08-16 1:02 pm
LONDON - Margaret Forster, the author of "Georgy Girl" and more than 20 other novels, has died in London after suffering from cancer in the back and spine. She was 77.
- A reporter covers 2 decades of tumult in the Middle East Updated: Feb-08-16 10:36 am
"And Then All Hell Broke Loose: Two Decades in the Middle East" (Simon & Schuster), by Richard Engel
- Book Review: 'Find Her' is latest novel by Lisa Gardner Updated: Feb-08-16 10:32 am
"Find Her" (Dutton) by Lisa Gardner
- Broadway's 'Tuck Everlasting' hopes for eternal experience Updated: Feb-08-16 9:57 am
NEW YORK - Andrew Keenan-Bolger isn't tapping into his vulnerable side for his next Broadway role. He's trying to be utterly fearless.
- Lee County Library begins yearlong 75th anniversary Updated: Feb-06-16 10:12 am
TUPELO, Mississippi - Lee County Library begins a yearlong 75th anniversary celebration at its monthly Lunching With Books event, featuring a scholarly lecture and dedicatory remarks for two major collections and rededication of the Helen Foster Auditorium.
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, 6th man on moon, dies in Florida Updated: Feb-05-16 7:35 pm
MIAMI - Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who became the sixth man on the moon when he and Alan Shepard helped NASA recover from Apollo 13's "successful failure" and later devoted his life to exploring physics, the mind, and unexplained phenomena such as psychics and aliens, has died in Florida. He was 85.
- Salem Witch Museum loses bid for witch trials book Updated: Feb-05-16 1:25 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - Officials at a museum in Salem, Massachusetts, say they weren't able to get their hands on a psalm book once owned by a judge in the city's famed witch trials.
- DC officials launch free book program for children Updated: Feb-05-16 3:16 am
WASHINGTON - Officials in Washington are launching a program that will provide a free book every month children under the age of five.
- Veterans make peace with past at Cowboy Poetry workshop Updated: Feb-05-16 2:05 am
ELKO, Nevada - Talking about the experiences of war can be difficult for veterans, but writing about it could be the first step.
- Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly has book deal Updated: Feb-04-16 10:42 pm
NEW YORK - Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly has a book deal.
- Elizabeth Smart working on self-empowerment book due in 2017 Updated: Feb-04-16 3:55 pm
NEW YORK - Kidnap victim Elizabeth Smart's next book will be a guide to self-empowerment.
- Romania: govt suspends law for books written in prison Updated: Feb-03-16 11:20 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's government has suspended a controversial law that made prisoners eligible for a reduced sentence if they had written a book.
- Foundation: Kensington decorative furnishings head to Seneca Updated: Feb-02-16 12:27 pm
SUMTER, South Carolina - A South Carolina foundation's collection of antique furnishings once shown at Kensington Mansion in Eastover is being sent to museums in Seneca and Columbia.
- 2 more coloring books by Johanna Basford coming this year Updated: Feb-02-16 11:25 am
NEW YORK - Mark your calendars, or perhaps color them in: Johanna Basford has two adult coloring books coming out this year.
- A workaholic dad learns to adapt in 'This Was Not the Plan' Updated: Feb-01-16 12:38 pm
"This Was Not the Plan" (Touchstone), by Cristina Alger
- Review: 'The Language of Secrets' is action-packed novel Updated: Feb-01-16 12:23 pm
"The Language of Secrets" (Minotaur), by Ausma Zehanat Khan
- Book illustrator's art poster appearing in NYC subway system Updated: Feb-01-16 12:02 pm
NEW YORK - An art poster created by a children's book author and illustrator for the subway system celebrates New York City's voices and music.
- Review: 'The Cowshed' a stark reminder of dark time in China Updated: Feb-01-16 11:14 am
"The Cowshed: Memories of the Chinese Cultural Revolution" (New York Review Books), by Ji Xianlin
- Effort to digitize out-of-print books about Detroit-area Updated: Feb-01-16 8:15 am
- Kentucky Poetry Out Loud recitation contest set for Feb. 23 Updated: Feb-01-16 8:14 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Students from 18 Kentucky high schools will compete in a state poetry recitation contest this month.
- Jefferson Airplane co-founder Paul Kantner dies at age 74 Updated: Jan-28-16 11:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Paul Kantner, an original member of the seminal 1960s rock band Jefferson Airplane and the eventual leader of successor group Jefferson Starship, has died at age 74.