- Democrats: Residents back bill to protect voters at polls Updated: Feb-08-16 1:25 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Democrats say support for a bill to protect voters from intimidation shows the public is on board with a plan to prevent harassment at the polls.
- Missouri WWII veteran says he was exposed to mustard gas Updated: Feb-07-16 3:01 pm
ST. LOUIS - In the final days of World War II, an 18-year-old Army private from Missouri named Arla Wayne Harrell was sent to Camp Crowder in the southwest corner of the state, where he said he was twice exposed to mustard gas.
- Vet's three-year battle with Montana VA ends in victory Updated: Feb-07-16 2:01 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - A Missoula veteran has won a victory in his three-year battle with the Veterans Administration over his traumatic brain injury.
- Minnesota artist honors US military with paintings Updated: Feb-06-16 7:29 pm
LITTLE FALLS, Minnesota - A Little Falls artist is honoring the U.S. military with paintings depicting each branch of the service.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- VA leader: 'Absolute confidence' in embattled administrator Updated: Feb-05-16 8:04 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The U.S. secretary of veterans affairs said Friday that he stands by his appointment of a regional health care executive who was accused of misleading Congress about how long veterans waited to receive care at a VA facility where she worked in Los Angeles.
- Report: Captain drank with his Navy crew, harassed women Updated: Feb-05-16 5:56 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A former commanding officer could be dismissed from the Navy over numerous misconduct allegations after a night of heavy drinking with his crew while he was in charge of the guided missile cruiser the USS Anzio.
- Fired Tomah psychiatrist setting up practice in La Crosse Updated: Feb-05-16 12:23 pm
MILWAUKEE - The former chief of staff at the Wisconsin Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Tomah who was fired after allegations of overprescribing narcotics is set to begin practicing psychiatry in La Crosse.
- Bucs WR Vincent Jackson wins NFL military award Updated: Feb-05-16 10:01 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Vincent Jackson's commitment to supporting the military has earned him the NFL's Salute To Service Award.
- VA: Wait times recorded incorrectly at Colorado clinic Updated: Feb-04-16 9:17 pm
DENVER - Workers at a Colorado Springs VA clinic incorrectly reported that some veterans got appointments sooner than they actually did, while at least 288 veterans had to wait longer than the government's 30-day target, federal investigators said Thursday.
- Lawsuit by soldier's widow tests Tennessee's malpractice law Updated: Feb-04-16 6:54 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A recent federal appeals court opinion could aid a military widow's efforts to hold the federal government responsible for her husband's suicide.
- Report: Rwandan military trained Burundian refugees Updated: Feb-04-16 2:54 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A confidential report by a United Nations panel of experts says refugees from Burundi received training from Rwandan military personnel last year with the ultimate goal of removing Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza from power.
- South Carolina USO celebrates support group's 75th birthday Updated: Feb-04-16 4:11 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The organization tasked by the late President Franklin Roosevelt with strengthening the morale of America's military men and women is celebrating its 75th anniversary.
- Fort Sill to trim civilian jobs, some military positions Updated: Feb-03-16 4:51 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The U.S. Army artillery post in southwest Oklahoma is expected to trim civilian jobs and some military positions but still have a net gain of more than 400 active-duty military personnel by the end of next year.
- Veterans' families seek ban as dogs walk among gravestones Updated: Feb-03-16 12:49 pm
EXETER, Rhode Island - Families of those buried in Rhode Island's veterans' cemetery say that using the grounds as a dog park is disrespectful to the fallen, and they're battling pet owners over access to the property.
- Man pleads not guilty to 3 felony explosives-related charges Updated: Feb-03-16 10:23 am
DALLAS, South Dakota - A South Dakota man indicted for allegedly having improvised explosives at his home has pleaded not guilty to three felony charges.
- VA medical center in Ohio honors 4 WWII chaplains Updated: Feb-03-16 7:33 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A public memorial service in southwest Ohio is honoring four U.S. Army chaplains who died while helping other soldiers in World War II.
- West Virginia AG settles for $2.5M with pharma company Updated: Feb-03-16 2:06 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Attorney General Patrick Morrisey's office has settled a lawsuit against a pharmaceutical distributor for $2.5 million.
- Obama to present Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL Updated: Feb-02-16 7:23 pm
WASHINGTON - A Navy SEAL who helped rescue an American hostage in Afghanistan will be the nation's next Medal of Honor recipient, the White House announced on Tuesday.
- US proposes more Pentagon funding for Europe aid, equipment Updated: Feb-02-16 1:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration said Tuesday it will propose quadrupling what it spends on its troops and training in Europe, as part of the U.S. military's accelerating effort to deter Russia.
- Coast Guard flies sick cruise passenger to hospital Updated: Feb-02-16 7:51 am
ELIZABETH CITY, North Carolina - The Coast Guard has taken a sick woman off a cruise ship about 230 miles east of Cape Hatteras.
- Demotions overturned for VA officials accused in job scam Updated: Feb-01-16 6:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal judges have overturned decisions by the Department of Veterans Affairs to demote two senior officials accused of manipulating the agency's hiring system for their own gain.
- Veteran advocates push for legislative action on services Updated: Feb-01-16 8:08 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana veterans say Gov. Mike Pence's focus on a plan to certify veteran-owned businesses isn't enough response to reports that find Indiana lacking in services for former members of the military.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Wyoming man who sought military pension gets 15 years Updated: Jan-28-16 8:06 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A judge has imposed a 15-year prison sentence on a Wyoming man who sought unsuccessfully to have his sentencing on child sex-crime convictions delayed so he could receive a military pension.