- SMU will not appeal Larry Brown suspension or postseason ban Updated: Oct-09-15 9:58 pm
DALLAS - SMU will not appeal the NCAA postseason ban on the men's basketball team or the nine-game suspension for coach Larry Brown.
- NFL Personality: CBS's Smith, only woman directing NFL games Updated: Oct-09-15 2:52 pm
NEW YORK - Suzanne Smith likes to assign a cameraperson to shoot the teams running onto the field when she directs NFL games for CBS.
- Correction: Sex Charges-Former Teacher story Updated: Oct-09-15 12:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - In a story Oct. 5 about a former employee at a Concord school who was charged with sexual assault, The Associated Press reported erroneously the suspect's job at the school. Donald Levesque was an assistant, not a teacher.
- PIAA expands classifications in football, other sports Updated: Oct-08-15 6:01 pm
MECHANICSBURG, Pennsylvania - In a move that changes the landscape of high school sports, the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association approved a measure that would expand high school football classifications from four to six.
- Maple Grove boys hockey coach resigns after DWI charges Updated: Oct-08-15 1:51 am
MAPLE GROVE, Minnesota - The varsity boys hockey coach at Maple Grove High School has resigned after being charged with drunken driving in a boat incident involving several minors.
- Hall of Fame basketball player Harry Gallatin dies Updated: Oct-07-15 6:03 pm
EDWARDSVILLE, Illinois - Harry Gallatin, the Hall of Fame basketball player who was a seven-time All-Star forward for the New York Knicks in the 1950s, died Wednesday. He was 88.
- Police: School principal, coach arrested for abusing student Updated: Oct-07-15 5:50 am
ARNAUDVILLE, Louisiana - A St. Landry Parish high school principal and a coach have been placed on administrative leave following their arrests in a physical confrontation with a student.
- Law firm to do thorough review of Rutgers football program Updated: Oct-06-15 4:43 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - Rutgers has hired a Kansas-based law firm to conduct a thorough review of the school's troubled football program and help identify potential NCAA rules violations.
- University of Minnesota summarizes gender equity findings Updated: Oct-03-15 3:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota has released a summary report that hints at a consultant's findings about gender equity in its athletics department.
- Former swimmer sues over alleged hazing at Kentucky Western Updated: Oct-02-15 3:45 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A former Western Kentucky swimmer whose allegations of hazing led to a five-year suspension of the school's program says in a federal lawsuit that he suffered physical, mental and emotional abuse at the hands of teammates.
- East Mississippi Community College coach suspended Updated: Oct-01-15 6:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - East Mississippi Community College football coach Buddy Stephens has been given a two-game suspension after an on-field altercation with a game administrator during the Lions' 48-24 win over Itawamba Community College.
- Utah unveils $36 million basketball practice facility Updated: Oct-01-15 5:45 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah unveiled a $36 million basketball practice facility Thursday with dramatic upgrades from what players and coaches were accustomed to inside the university's 46-year-old arena.
- UConn releases newly required report on sexual assaults Updated: Oct-01-15 5:38 pm
STORRS, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut reported Thursday that it dealt with 85 sexual assault complaints last year and seven students were expelled as a result.
- Penn St. seeks improvement options for stadium Updated: Oct-01-15 7:25 am
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - How much are history and tradition worth? It's a question Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour will soon answer about the school's football stadium.
- Court strikes down possible payments to college athletes Updated: Sep-30-15 7:45 pm
A federal appeals court struck down a plan to pay college football and basketball players in a ruling that NCAA leaders believe supports their contention that the athletes are students and not professionals.
- Colleges vow to ease application process with new website Updated: Sep-28-15 7:46 pm
BOSTON - More than 80 colleges are creating a website where students will be able to apply to dozens of them and get help along the way.
- Rutgers' Jordan makes changes on basketball coaching staff Updated: Sep-28-15 4:23 pm
PISCATAWAY, New Jersey - Mike O'Koren is taking a job as senior adviser on the Rutgers basketball staff and is being replaced as an assistant coach by Dalip Bhatia.
- Tyndall to volunteer as associate AD at NAIA school Updated: Sep-28-15 12:11 pm
ATHENS, Tennessee - Former Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall has accepted an opportunity to work as a volunteer associate athletic director at NAIA school Tennessee Wesleyan.
- Probe launched into Gwinnett schools' sex assault cases Updated: Sep-28-15 4:01 am
LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - The U.S. Department of Education's Civil Rights Office has launched a federal investigation into the Gwinnett County Public School District's handling of two cases in which students have been accused of sexual misconduct.
- Tulane athletic director Dickson to retire in May Updated: Sep-25-15 5:30 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Tulane athletic director Rick Dickson, who led the effort to bring football Saturday's back to campus from the Superdome, says he will retire next May.
- Court says Kansas can't expel student over off-campus tweets Updated: Sep-25-15 5:09 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The University of Kansas must reinstate a student it expelled for sending offensive tweets about a former girlfriend while he was not on campus, the Kansas Court of Appeals ruled Friday.
- Alabama State trustee, former coach file charges in scuffle Updated: Sep-25-15 7:13 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama State University trustee and the school's former football coach have filed assault charges against each other after a tense deposition.
- The Latest: Texas football coach denies wanting to hurt ref Updated: Sep-24-15 7:08 pm
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The latest developments on two Texas high school football players who deliberately hit a referee during a game: (all times local)
- Longtime Mary athletic director, coach Bortke dies at 78 Updated: Sep-22-15 9:19 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Al Bortke, the longtime University of Mary athletic director and men's basketball coach, has died.
- UVA reaches agreement to end sex-assault investigation Updated: Sep-21-15 8:18 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The University of Virginia and the Department of Education have reached an agreement over its handling of sexual assault complaints, ending a yearslong federal investigation into the school's procedures and policies, university and federal officials said Monday.